Put Synthetic Hydraulic fluid in today....Impressions

/ Put Synthetic Hydraulic fluid in today....Impressions #1  

jhous

Tractor
LS J2020H
My LS J2020H is four years old but only has 140 hours on it. Today I replaced the factory hydraulic oil with AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil. The stuff that came out of the tractor looked like mud but not as thick. It was a challenge to get my tractor up high enough to put buckets big enough to catch 5 gallons of old hydraulic fluid under it. The HST filter was almost impossible to get off. I had to remove the seat and seat frame in order to have enough room to put some serious torque on the filter. The task was difficult but is now done. Can I tell and difference? Absolutely yes!

First off It does not seem to need the warm up for the loader (and backhoe) to operate. I have not compared times (which I plan on tomorrow) but before the loader was really slow going up (regardless of rpm) until everything was good and warm......about 15 to 20 minutes. After the change, you can do real work right off the bat......significant change in speed when cold.

Second.... Before, the tractor made a lot if high pitched whining noise when moving or operating implements (especially the backhoe). After it is noticeably quieter. The implements still make some whining noise when under load but nowhere near as much. Overall much quieter operation of the tractor.

Third ....and this is hard to quantify (I admit; It may be wishful thinking on my part), but the loader and backhoe just don't seem to be as jerky in operation. Heck, it could be that I'm finally starting to have a learning curve also. I don't know. That's why I titled this "Impressions".

It was not cheap. They are really proud of that stuff, but I'm glad I did it.

My input to the group.
J.

/ Put Synthetic Hydraulic fluid in today....Impressions #2  
Good to know, can't hurt to go with improved and new fluids. I haven't used any of the amsoil stuff but I know from previous experience with other synthetics that they can improve performance in particular when it's cold. It's probably a great investment in your equipment too.

Not to hijack, but I have noticed with my new tractor a bit of chatter in the steering when it's cold, I wonder if there may be something out of adjustment there?

/ Put Synthetic Hydraulic fluid in today....Impressions #3  
My LS J2020H is four years old but only has 140 hours on it. Today I replaced the factory hydraulic oil with AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil. The stuff that came out of the tractor looked like mud but not as thick. It was a challenge to get my tractor up high enough to put buckets big enough to catch 5 gallons of old hydraulic fluid under it. The HST filter was almost impossible to get off. I had to remove the seat and seat frame in order to have enough room to put some serious torque on the filter. The task was difficult but is now done. Can I tell and difference? Absolutely yes!

First off It does not seem to need the warm up for the loader (and backhoe) to operate. I have not compared times (which I plan on tomorrow) but before the loader was really slow going up (regardless of rpm) until everything was good and warm......about 15 to 20 minutes. After the change, you can do real work right off the bat......significant change in speed when cold.

Second.... Before, the tractor made a lot if high pitched whining noise when moving or operating implements (especially the backhoe). After it is noticeably quieter. The implements still make some whining noise when under load but nowhere near as much. Overall much quieter operation of the tractor.

Third ....and this is hard to quantify (I admit; It may be wishful thinking on my part), but the loader and backhoe just don't seem to be as jerky in operation. Heck, it could be that I'm finally starting to have a learning curve also. I don't know. That's why I titled this "Impressions".

It was not cheap. They are really proud of that stuff, but I'm glad I did it.

My input to the group.
J.

jhous,

Sounds like you needed to change the oil. If it came out like mud, it could have been emulsified water in the oil. It looks like dark brown cappuccino, lighter the more water is present. This occurs from parking outside, condensation, ect...

1. The slow until warmed up to operation temp could have been from said emulsified water/oil and partially plugged filters.

2. The whining noise also applied to the above comment. But could also be from the higher quality Amsoil fluid. Whining is usually from the gear pump, relief valves, and if a filter is plugged, bypassing.

3. There is validity to the smoothness perceived. Clean, quality oil will operate smoother as will installing new filters providing full flow.

I understand the not cheap. I don't use synthetic hydraulic oil, but I do use synthetic for most all other applications.

Good luck and keep us posted with your results.

/ Put Synthetic Hydraulic fluid in today....Impressions #4  
Good to know, can't hurt to go with improved and new fluids. I haven't used any of the amsoil stuff but I know from previous experience with other synthetics that they can improve performance in particular when it's cold. It's probably a great investment in your equipment too.

Not to hijack, but I have noticed with my new tractor a bit of chatter in the steering when it's cold, I wonder if there may be something out of adjustment there?

dntfxr,

I have noticed the same steering characteristics with my P7010C. I'm sure your XR series has a similar hydrostatic steering setup as the P series. When cold or at low RPM they can "chatter". It is probably more of a low flow/air issue than a problem. Once warmed up, it should perform fine. It is a sealed system, not really any "adjustments" that can be performed or needed if it otherwise works. Also, at low RPM or when cold it will "chatter" a little if you spin the wheel too fast.

Where did you get your XR?

CT

/ Put Synthetic Hydraulic fluid in today....Impressions #5  
It sounds like your tractor is just as happy with you as you are of her! :D

/ Put Synthetic Hydraulic fluid in today....Impressions
jhous,

Sounds like you needed to change the oil. If it came out like mud, it could have been emulsified water in the oil. It looks like dark brown cappuccino, lighter the more water is present. This occurs from parking outside, condensation, ect...

1. The slow until warmed up to operation temp could have been from said emulsified water/oil and partially plugged filters.

2. The whining noise also applied to the above comment. But could also be from the higher quality Amsoil fluid. Whining is usually from the gear pump, relief valves, and if a filter is plugged, bypassing.

3. There is validity to the smoothness perceived. Clean, quality oil will operate smoother as will installing new filters providing full flow.

I understand the not cheap. I don't use synthetic hydraulic oil, but I do use synthetic for most all other applications.

Good luck and keep us posted with your results.
......................................................................................................

Thank you. This info does answer many questions. The tractor was parked outside under a tarp for most of it's four year life (previous owner kept it outside. I bought it three weeks ago). I really did not know what color water turned the fluid.

A light Dark brown (that doesn't really make any sense does it? How about light to medium brown?) cappuccino is the color alright. The first stuff to come out when the drain plug was removed was downright 'gloppy' .......like brown snot. Then the overall light brown fluid. Rubbing the stuff between thumb and forefinger it did not feel gritty.
i went back over the paperwork that I got with the tractor and noticed that it was serviced at 120hrs (150 on it now) and the HST filter was replaced but the 'oil pressure filter' was NOT........What the heck is the difference? I thought on an HST tractor everything used the same hydraulic fluid (except the engine, of course). Why two filters with different names. Seriously, I would really love it if you could answer that for me.

I'm slowly working my way through these issues. The tractor now lives in my garage .....sons car under the carport (he's been okay with it; understands about Dad's new machine) ... so maybe I can get ahead of these issues.

Do you have any idea why there is an "HST filter" and also an "oil pressure filter" totally separate from the engine oil filter???

J.

/ Put Synthetic Hydraulic fluid in today....Impressions
It sounds like your tractor is just as happy with you as you are of her! :D

Yep. We were made for each other :D
Made_for_each_other_jddzm_Pak101(dot)com.jpg

/ Put Synthetic Hydraulic fluid in today....Impressions #8  
There are several grades of AMSOIL Synthetic Hydraulic Fluid.

How did you decide which product to buy?

I am in Florida so winter weather need NOT be considered.

/ Put Synthetic Hydraulic fluid in today....Impressions #9  
......................................................................................................

Thank you. This info does answer many questions. The tractor was parked outside under a tarp for most of it's four year life (previous owner kept it outside. I bought it three weeks ago). I really did not know what color water turned the fluid.

A light Dark brown (that doesn't really make any sense does it? How about light to medium brown?) cappuccino is the color alright. The first stuff to come out when the drain plug was removed was downright 'gloppy' .......like brown snot. Then the overall light brown fluid. Rubbing the stuff between thumb and forefinger it did not feel gritty.
i went back over the paperwork that I got with the tractor and noticed that it was serviced at 120hrs (150 on it now) and the HST filter was replaced but the 'oil pressure filter' was NOT........What the heck is the difference? I thought on an HST tractor everything used the same hydraulic fluid (except the engine, of course). Why two filters with different names. Seriously, I would really love it if you could answer that for me.

I'm slowly working my way through these issues. The tractor now lives in my garage .....sons car under the carport (he's been okay with it; understands about Dad's new machine) ... so maybe I can get ahead of these issues.

Do you have any idea why there is an "HST filter" and also an "oil pressure filter" totally separate from the engine oil filter???

J.

Yep. Classic water in oil. There are all kinds of cracks moisture can and WILL get into the oil. Any outdoor stored Tractor, even tarped will get moisture in oil.

What happens normally is oil and water separate... Until repetivly ran through a gear pump and becomes homogeneous. Thus cappuccino oil.

When I stored tractors outside, 1-2 times anually I changed hyd oil AND filters to minimize moisture ladden oil regardless of hours. The only time service manuals apply is climate controlled storage and never operated in the rain, nor in dramatic temperature changes.

CT

/ Put Synthetic Hydraulic fluid in today....Impressions #10  
Nice pic. Is that your girlfriend? LOL

CT