Loader Bulge on Outside of Loader Arm

/ Bulge on Outside of Loader Arm #1  

southerbre

Tractor
LS XR 4046HC
Hi All...I have an LS XR4046HC and I noticed an odd bulge on one of the loader lift arms today. It's located on the outside on the driver's side, a couple of inches back from the pipe that connects the arms. The tractor has never been abused, and I haven't attempted to lift anything greater than it's rated capacity. I noticed it after I had lifted something today, but I'm not certain if that is what caused it. It's odd since there is nothing visible on the inside of the arm, and I assume if lifting caused this there would be an indent on the inside corresponding to what is seen on the outside. If it's a weakness in the arm then one would expect both sides to be affected. I have attached a picture, but it's difficult to see. I'm also sending a picture to the dealership since it's not located nearby.

Can anyone explain this or offer any insights?

Attachments

• image-921128210.jpg
    image-921128210.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 790
   / Bulge on Outside of Loader Arm #2  
It is hard to see but I can tell there is a bulge to some degree due to the reflection. Very hard to say what caused it. It appears that the loader hit something on that side which would have stopped the tractor in its tracks. I'm sure you would have noticed that if you were driving. Have you loaned the tractor or let someone else use it, they could have hit something and failed to tell you. Keep us informed.

/ Bulge on Outside of Loader Arm #3  
It is kind of hard to see, but is it possible that there may be water inside the tube? Many times rain can get into a loader arm and when the cold weather sets in, the ice will force the tube out.

/ Bulge on Outside of Loader Arm #4  
There must have been some pent up compressive force left there as the arm was fabricated. Your nominal loading added to it and the flat side buckled a little. I think youre due a new loader or a rebate on the one you have. ... It may be stable in present form. :confused3:

/ Bulge on Outside of Loader Arm
It is kind of hard to see, but is it possible that there may be water inside the tube? Many times rain can get into a loader arm and when the cold weather sets in, the ice will force the tube out.

I thought about that, but there are drain holes on the lift arms. Also, I'd expect ice to expand the length of the tube where there is no resistance instead of doing this. I suppose the tube could be blocked with snow, etc. It's strange for sure.

/ Bulge on Outside of Loader Arm #6  
Sure looks like it could be ice. I've seen similar bulges caused by expansion. It's hard to say if there is anyway for water to escape where the cross tube is welded in.

/ Bulge on Outside of Loader Arm #7  
After looking at the picture again I think water could drain around the tube unless there is some type of obstruction. If it was water that froze I think the bulge would not be where it is. I think it would be lower and more horizontal.

/ Bulge on Outside of Loader Arm #8  
Need more/better pictures.

/ Bulge on Outside of Loader Arm #9  
Looks to me like a manufacturing defect in the flat rolled plate. I'd be looking for a new loader or at the least, some compensation. If it was from an internal issue like freezing water, the paint would be cracked... it's not.

/ Bulge on Outside of Loader Arm #10  
Can the other side of bulge be seen?

Like some others I'm thinking the steel was defective.
Almost like a hydrogen blister?