72" Finish Mower for my J2023?

/ 72" Finish Mower for my J2023? #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
I have a line on a like new Land Pride 72" rear discharge finish mower that's only been used 3 years and the price is really good. Has anyone use a 72" RDFM with a J series before? I called my dealer and he said generally a tractor can run a finish mower one size up from what they run a rotary cutter. He said as long as I wasn't trying to use the finish mowet like a brush hog and as long as it wasn't thick grass, then my J2023 should be alright.

I sold my little 4ft brush hog that I used to clear my woods and there's nothing except mature trees and trees still too big for even a brush hog to cut left. So I've been using the brush hog as a weeds mower for the last 3 years just keeping grass down in the woods and it never did a good job. So I've been thinking of switching to a finish mowet now since I keep it mowed nicely every year. I was looking at 60" finish mowers, but this Land Pride came up and even though it's 72", the owner came down to $700. It's like $2300 new!

I have read a lot of threads where people are talking about 6ft mowers being too heavy so I did the math for my J2023. It weighs 1565lbs without a loader, loader and bucket add 638lbs, and I added 30 gallons of Rimguard which is another 320lbs. So my tractor with loader attached weighs 2523lbs. The 3pt lift capacity is 1433lbs and the manual says the Land Pride weighs 619lbs. So by my calculations, my tractor should physically have no problems with being overtaken by 619lb implement. The HP is the only area that seems a little gray to me. What say the rest of you?

/ 72" Finish Mower for my J2023? #2  
What is the PTO horsepower on your tractor and is it a hydrostat or gear?

/ 72" Finish Mower for my J2023?
Re: 72" Finish Mower for my J2023?

17.5 pto hp and hydro trans.

I bought it and brought it home tonight. Guess I'll have to see for myself.

So it looks like I answered my own question here. I bought the mower and brought it home last night. I spent the morning getting it set up and adjusted for my tractor which only took shortening the PTO shaft by about 2 inches. Hooking this mower up to my tractor was an absolute breeze. WAY, WAY easier than all the times I had to fight with the brush hog to get it hooked up. I got it greased and checked over and adjusted my top link. My tractor had no trouble picking the implement up. So after everything looked good, I headed around back of the shop to test it out. Will a J2023 run a 72" finish mower? ABSOLUTELY! The PTO engaged at about 1600 RPMs and I throttled up to 2600 RPMs, which is what gets me 540 RPMs on the PTO. The tractor just idled up and handled the mower without any notice. So I dropped it down and started mowing....and mowing....and mowing. Eventually my "test" finished up my 4 acres of grass and weeds that were about knee high. Never a single struggle with the tractor or the engine. I did notice that I had to run with my 4wd engaged because if I was backing up a hill, I would just spin out. But with 4wd engaged, it was no problem whatsoever. I always mow/brush hog in low range to begin with because the woods are rough, so I didn't try using the mower in high range on my tractor. But needless to say, my tractor performed flawlessly and the finish mower did an excellent job. I glad I switched from brush hog to finish mower as it cuts a lot nicer and is easier to pull and operate.

So if anyone in the future needs to know, the answer is yes, a little 23hp/17.5 pto hp tractor will run a 72" finish mower without a problem.

/ 72" Finish Mower for my J2023? #6  
Glad you are happy with it. I run a 6' with about 20 pto hp with out a problem. With the hydro you can just back off a bit if it starts to bog or you can always take a smaller bite or set cut height higher if needed. One thing to watch is if you hit rough terrain with the mower in up position the shock load of the bounce can be pretty severe if you are moving to fast.

Thanks. I luckily don't have to transport very far with the mower lifted, just about 100 feet through my yard which isn't a big deal.

/ 72" Finish Mower for my J2023? #8  
Thanks for info. I've been looking for a cheap used finish mower for the XJ2025. Thought only a 60 inch would do, now I'll expand my search to 72 inchers as well.

Re: 72" Finish Mower for my J2023?

Glad I could help. Prices on finish mowers are dirt cheap right now because most people are using ZTRs. So negotiations are in your favor.

The Land Pride I bought was $2300 new. The seller had it listed for $1200 and I ended up paying $700 for it. And it still looks close to new.

/ 72" Finish Mower for my J2023? #10  
I seen that one a few weeks ago, it looked like a nice mower, just not big enough for me. I've been looking at 15 ft mowers but used ones are a bit harder to find.