LS XR3135H First Regen

/ LS XR3135H First Regen #1  

JayTexas

Tractor
LS 3135H
First regen kicked off at 19.5 hours. I pulled the tractor out of the garage and set the throttle to about 1800 rpm, where I usually let it idle for about 10 minutes before working with it.

The regen symbol flashed, along with "F00" on the display. Then the engine note changed and soon some grey blue smoke emerged from the front exhaust. I have never actually smelled burning kitty litter, but that description sure fits the smell. Even the dog, who usually barks in challenge to the tractor, backed away from that!

By 19.7 on the 'Hobbs" meter the symbol disappeared, the smell dissipated, and everything seemed to get back to normal. Moved about 10 bucket loads of brush and some mulch after that with nothing else unusual happening.

I continue to be very happy with the tractor. I just wish I had bought it sooner.

/ LS XR3135H First Regen #2  
Did you run your tractor with hi rpm for those 19 hr? I've had my LS4140 for 2 months with 12 hr and the dealer told me to run it full out (pto speed) to help with the regen problem

/ LS XR3135H First Regen
Did you run your tractor with hi rpm for those 19 hr? I've had my LS4140 for 2 months with 12 hr and the dealer told me to run it full out (pto speed) to help with the regen problem

Each time I start it, I let it idle about 1800 rpm for ten minutes or so. About half the time I mow with the rpm set at the PTO mark for 450 rpm PTO rotation. When I use the FEL to pick up brush, rocks, mulch, etc. I also run near that mark to make sure the loader is responsive. When I just move stuff from place to place with the loader not moving, I run about 2100 rpm in M gear.

The manual makes it clear that regen is consider 'normal' operation, and it seemed to work just fine, although I expected it to happen at more like 50 hours. I don't consider it a problem. It makes sense that lots of idling at minimum rpm would generate more 'soot' than running at higher rpm.

/ LS XR3135H First Regen #4  
My first regen was at about 30 hours. I vary the RPM based on what I am doing. Run it just below the 540 PTO mark for mowing and lower than that when doing low stress tasks.

/ LS XR3135H First Regen
First regen kicked off at 19.5 hours. I pulled the tractor out of the garage and set the throttle to about 1800 rpm, where I usually let it idle for about 10 minutes before working with it.

The regen symbol flashed, along with "F00" on the display. Then the engine note changed and soon some grey blue smoke emerged from the front exhaust. I have never actually smelled burning kitty litter, but that description sure fits the smell. Even the dog, who usually barks in challenge to the tractor, backed away from that!

By 19.7 on the 'Hobbs" meter the symbol disappeared, the smell dissipated, and everything seemed to get back to normal. Moved about 10 bucket loads of brush and some mulch after that with nothing else unusual happening.

I continue to be very happy with the tractor. I just wish I had bought it sooner.

Tractor did another regen at 30 hours. Much less smoke and smell this time. Dealer says the expectation of 50 hours to the first regen on this series of new engines was a miscommunication with the factory, i.e., the engine is programmed to do a regen at 50 hours if it has not done one previously, but will do them earlier if it detects the need.

They are going to do a firmware update, too.

Still very pleased with the tractor and the dealer (RCO Tractor in Austin) :)