Installing 3rd Function Remote for Grapple on LS XR4046

/ Installing 3rd Function Remote for Grapple on LS XR4046 #1  

Kubota3710

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XR4046 Kubota G1800
Folks, it took more time to figure this out than to do the install. Getting comfortable that I was tapping into the hydraulics correctly took the most time. Attached is a write up with some pictures that may help others. Rich

TITLE: Installing 3rd function remote on LS XR4046

I installed a W.R. Long 3rd function remote on my XR4046 to support opening and closing a grapple bucket. Following is my experience.

The W.R. Long kit included the 3rd function hydraulic value, the hoses and fittings to hook it up, and a new job stick hand grip with a switch designed to replace the OEM joystick hand grip that came on the tractor. The new grip had the wiring and wire loam to attach to the tractor.

The only other things I purchased were some electrical connectors to tap into the tractor's 12V power supply, a hose saving spring kit, and some hydraulic hose fabric.

A couple observations. 1) Every kit is tractor dependent and a bit different and hooks up to a different place on the tractor it is design for. I didn' realize that ahead of time. The 3rd function hydraulic value on my tractor replaced the left step onto the tractor, which was acceptable to me. I ended up putting the step back on with it to help protect the new 3rd fcn valve. 2) The most challenging part of the job for me was knowing where to tap into the hydraulics of the tractor. I had to identify and tap into the Power Beyond port on the loader value. For my tractor the POWER BEYOND PORT came off the bottom of the loader value and ran back to near the right rear tire and attached to the REMOTE CONTROL VALUE, which is the value that drives the rear tractor remotes. YOUR TRACTOR my be very different. 3) I ordered the HOSE SAVING SPRING KIT after I got it installed. The hoses up near the grapple need a bracket or spring kit or similar to hold them in place and lower the chances of damage.

The First picture is of the POWER BEYOND PORT on the front end loader valve. You can see the hydraulic hose is hooked to the loader value with a banjo fitting, and the metal hydraulic hose goes aft about two feet where it hooks into the REMOTE CONTROL VALUE on my tractor. I had to remove this hydraulic line totally, and the 3rd FUNCTION REMOTE hydraulic valve is installed in series between the two open ports resulting from removal of the hose.
Here is a picture of my finger pointing to the POWER BEYOND PORT on the loader hydraulic value.

pic of loader value and .JPG

Here is the picture of the hydraulic line removed. This hose and the banjo fittings are NOT put back on.

removed hyd hose and banjo fittings.JPG

Here is a picture comparing the kit fittings that replace the original tractor banjo fittings.

banjo fittings replaced by provided fittings.JPG

Here is a picture of the kit provided hydraulic line installed on the POWER BEYOND PORT. The straight fitting screws into the port, and the hydraulic hose had a 90 degree fitting to direct it under the tractor.

new hyd hose on power beyond fitting.JPG

Here is the new 3rd FUNCTION REMOTE installed in place of the right hand step of the tractor. I have already hooked up the hoses on the front that go up to the grapple bucket.

3rd fcn in place of step.JPG

I now hooked up the two hydraulic hoses provided in the kit to the tractor. The following picture is looking from below. One of the hoses coming down from the 3rd FUNCTION REMOTE valve goes to the loader value POWER BEYOND PORT and the other hose went to the REMOTE CONTROL VALUE back near the right rear tire. The 3rd FUNCTION REMOTE value has letters on it to ensure you hook them up correctly.

final hoses from below.JPG

You have to find a 12V electric source from the tractor. I pulled from a switched terminal on the key, but intend to go back and install a switch on the dash with a relay from the battery. The kit includes a new joystick to replace the one on the tractor and it includes a switch that operates the grapple. It also has three wires, two of which hook up to the 3rd function remote and one that provides 12V power from the tractor to operate the remote. I show a picture here for how I routed the wire inside of the trim on the tractor. The kit came with the plastic wrap to protect the wire. I purchased a rubber grommet where I went through the plastic trim. Obviously you should leave some slack in the electrical wire so the joystick can move.

New Joystick with Electric switch.JPG

The other issue I had was the hoses up front at the grapple had nothing to hold them in place and hung below the level of the grapple. I was worried about them getting caught on something and ripped off. I ordered a Hose saving spring kit from EA and had my local shop weld it on the loader. I had to put it to the side of the loader to keep it from hitting the brush guard when the loader and bucket were tilted. The springs provide some flexibility if the hoses get caught on something. I had to play with it a bit to ensure none of the hydraulic hoses were rubbing.

I also added hydraulic hose wrap that I purchased at my local hydraulic supply store for additional protection. Even with the bucket all the way down, the hoses are still about 6 inches from the ground and have good clearance in all positions.

Here is a picture of the installed HOSE SAVING SPRING KIT on the front of the loader.

Final Hose Safety Install.JPG

I love the grapple and why did I wait so long to purchase a tractor?

Using Grapple.JPG

/ Installing 3rd Function Remote for Grapple on LS XR4046 #2  
Nice work! It looks like the WR Long kit had what you needed and made for a clean install. It was a good lesson for me about the other fittings interchanging with the banjo fittings.
I have my wires going to the joystick ran inside split-loom like yours. I've seen an install that used heat shrink around the wires AND joystick rod that made for a clean look. If I'm ever bored I may try it.

/ Installing 3rd Function Remote for Grapple on LS XR4046 #3  
Nice write up on the install. I'm sure this will help a lot of folks. If I had seen this I might would have tried installing the kit myself.

/ Installing 3rd Function Remote for Grapple on LS XR4046 #4  
Its an excellent, reliable product. I had my dealer install mine on a Kioti DK45HSE when I ordered the tractor, for around the retail price for the kit, as I recall.

/ Installing 3rd Function Remote for Grapple on LS XR4046 #5  
Getting ready to do the same install on an LS XR4150, it's likely my power beyond port is in the same location as yours, but how did you positively identify it?

Any reason for the relay? How many amps does the kit draw?

Also, do you remember about how much fluid you had to add to fill the valve and hoses?

Thanks in advance

/ Installing 3rd Function Remote for Grapple on LS XR4046 #6  
Great write up K3710!

Getting ready to do the same install on an LS XR4150, it's likely my power beyond port is in the same location as yours, but how did you positively identify it?

Any reason for the relay? How many amps does the kit draw?

Also, do you remember about how much fluid you had to add to fill the valve and hoses?

Thanks in advance

I can help with some of that. I installed the W.R. Long kit on my XR4155HC about 1 year ago.

Here is the power beyond port on mine. Yours is probably the same since they both are 4100 series. It's the port just below the 2 cable controllers. Has the 90 on it.

Here is where I put my valve. It works good here and is out of the way.

Here's where I put my connectors. I did have to get longer stainless hardware from Fastenal for the connector mount and for the 3rd function valve.

I just ran my wires along the joystick.

I dont recall the relay. I just followed the directions in the kit and it works great.

I topped up about 1 or 2 quarts of hydraulic oil. It wasn't much.

I just ordered a Wicked Root Grapple today!

/ Installing 3rd Function Remote for Grapple on LS XR4046
I really like where you installed the valve. Great idea and definitely better protected and out of the way.

/ Installing 3rd Function Remote for Grapple on LS XR4046 #8  
Thanks, looks pretty idiot proof (famous last words)

/ Installing 3rd Function Remote for Grapple on LS XR4046 #9  
Resurrecting this thread as it was helpful to me as I installed a third function valve kit onto my new XR4140H. I worked out a few things that were an improvement for my needs so I thought I would share them here.

The first thing I did was to remove the valve from the steel mounting plate, clamp the mounting plate in a vice and bent it at a 45 degree angle along a line between the mounting holes for the valve and the mounting holes that mount the plate to the tractor. That allowed the valve to tuck under the tractor deck. This improved the position of the hoses and made it possible to reinstall and use the step on that side of the tractor. Once the plate was bent with a 5 lb hammer, I re-attached the valve and installed the whole thing onto the tractor.

Another modification I made to these instructions was for the power supply. I ran the power (red wire) line up through the rubber grommet into the cowling on the switch side of the dash. I took the shroud off from around the steering wheel. In this shroud is located 3 switches and one blanked off switch. The unused switch location is for the manual/auto pto selector switch on some tractors but not this one. The connector for this function is in there unused but part of the wiring harness. I cut this connector off so I could use it and ordered a spare switch from LS for 29$. One of the 3 active switches in this location is for the horn. I tapped into the 12v power supplied to this switch to power up the valve. I chose it over the lights or hazard flashers because I will never be using the valve and honking the horn at the same time so there is less chance of overheating a wire or blowing a fuse by robbing power from there. This modification allows me to have a switch for the power supply to the third function that looks factory installed. I see no reason to have power running to this valve just because the tractor is powered on. I can still get power in accessory mode for releasing pressure from the valve for servicing. If you do this it will help you to know that on the unused connector that you will utilize it is labeled PTO and you will supply power to the switch on the brown wire and you will use the yellow wire or the black/red wire to supply the solenoid, your choice. The wire you will tap into on the horn switch is the red/black wire and I placed the fuse that came with the kit in that tapped in location which gave me the added length I needed to reach the new third function power switch. This seems no harder and perhaps safer than tapping into the ignition switch or alternator lead and much safer than tying directly to the battery.

Last and more minor is I took the control wire into the FEL lever cowling next to the rubber boot and coiled the excess up inside there to keep things clean and neat. I spent more time on this install than needed just to get it clean and neat so it didn't irritate me for the many years I plan to use this tractor. I didn't take pictures along the way but I hope a painted a picture with words. If you are in need, I might be willing to go pull some covers and take some snapshots.

/ Installing 3rd Function Remote for Grapple on LS XR4046 #10  
Cataclysm - Do you still have the pictures you uploaded in this post? I see they are no longer accessible - I'm in the process of installing the WR Long 3rd function and I am very curious to see how you mounted this. Thank you!