Side view mirror

/ Side view mirror #1  

AlmostThere

Tractor
2011 LS 5020c, 2021 MF GC1723EB
The glass on my LS 5020C side right view mirror fell out and broke. I've been looking online for a replacement without luck so far. Anyone have good suggestions for a replacement?

Thanks!

/ Side view mirror #2  
Go to a glass shop and have them cut you a new one. Take a cardboard pattern with you.

/ Side view mirror #4  
I think this happened to George on his 3037, too. I'm sure he'll be along shortly with advice.

/ Side view mirror #5  
Mine did the same thing a few months ago. Right mirror glass fell out. I ordered the replacement for $80 from the dealer. When I installed it I ran a bead of silicone around the entire mirror (glass to plastic on both) so hopefully it won't fall out again. It may be cheaper to take it to a glass shop as mentioned then silicone it in place. Get a price first since the glass shop has a lot of cutting to do to make the curves.

I see 2 reasons this could happen.

1) My tractor is 3 years old and the mirrors had no drain holes. If left outside the void behind the mirror would fill up with rain. Then if it got cold enough to freeze the water the mirror would push out. I see the replacement mirror and mirrors on newer tractors come with pre-drilled drain holes.

2) I don't think you have the freeze problem so maybe it is heat related. The glass is just snapped into the black plastic housing and there is not much of a lip to hold it. If the plastic heats up enough to soften the plastic it could release enough grip to let the glass fall out.

/ Side view mirror
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I talked to one glass shop today and they were not interested in trying to make a new one.

I guess I'll try to get one from a dealer. I hate to spend that much for a mirror but I'd rather keep the original look of the tractor.

You are right George, freezing is not really a problem here but heat may play a role. I could kick myself in the rear though, it had fallen out once before but didn't break, I put it back in using just the original rubber seal. In hindsight I wish I had done something like you did to make it more secure. I will do that for the replacement and might as well do the left one too.

/ Side view mirror #7  
I'm sorry to hear the glass shop was not obliging . I stopped into one once for a new side mirror for my pick-up they cut one installed it with some glue and wouldn't take any money that why I suggested a glass shop.

/ Side view mirror
Billrog,

It was a great suggestion and would have been a great fix, thanks for posting that.

Maybe it was the company I contacted. But I could understand their position if they wouldn't make much money on it and I'm not what you would consider a regular customer.

/ Side view mirror #9  
I used to get truck mirror's fixed regularly at a glass shop. This also was when they were installed with a rubber gasket and was a simple rectangle with rounded corners. If you have another "shop" near by, you might drop in with your shell. It's easy to say no on the phone.