3039R....engine frame broke!,,,

/ 3039R....engine frame broke!,,, #1  

Hobart15

Tractor
N/a
I was brush hogging an old field...pop and bad noise...quickly shut off the engine. Investigated...busted frame next to where the loader bolts on. IMG_2088.JPGIMG_2092.JPGIMG_0368.PNG

Any suggestions?

/ 3039R....engine frame broke!,,, #2  
WOW! Still under warranty I hope??

/ 3039R....engine frame broke!,,,
No, it is a 2012....feels like my pocket change is going to find a new home. This is going to be expensive.

/ 3039R....engine frame broke!,,, #4  
I would just have it welded. A good welder should be able to do it without removing the frame from the tractor though it would be a lot easier removed. What would bother me more is the question as to why it broke.

/ 3039R....engine frame broke!,,, #5  
I would just have it welded. A good welder should be able to do it without removing the frame from the tractor though it would be a lot easier removed. What would bother me more is the question as to why it broke.

Times 2 on why it broke? You might talk with some truckers and see if they know of anyone who repairs frames on semi tractor trailers.

Last edited:
   / 3039R....engine frame broke!,,, #6  
A good welder wouldn't try to weld that on the tractor. To do a good weld on a chunk like that, it needs to be removed so the break can be properly ground out and filled with weld. Without grinding it out, all anyone will ever do is put a patch of weld over the crack and it will happen again...

*edit* Upon looking at the pics a bit more, I don't think a good welder would even try to weld that at that hole. Removing the entire piece of subframe, cutting a "stepped notch" in the frame to weld in new material, and redrilling the hole would be a "good" welder's fix...

**edit** The stepped notch referred to above is to prevent the weld from being along a shearing path. Here is an example of the process done on a truck frame.

Last edited:
   / 3039R....engine frame broke!,,, #7  
Agree that it would be good to determine why it cracked -- was there any misuse/abuse of the loader?

I sure wouldn't do a weld repair without patching over that crack with some extra plating that is welded at least a few inches away from the crack. Really need to do something to spread out the repair. A diamond patch would probably be best.

/ 3039R....engine frame broke!,,, #8  
Anyone who repairs frames on 80,000 lb trucks will know what to do.

/ 3039R....engine frame broke!,,, #9  
It is a weld job with straps above and below the bolt. I do not agree you have to remove the sub frame - if there even is one (can't enlarge the frame pic$.

/ 3039R....engine frame broke!,,, #10  
A good welder would have a process to repair that. However, I would be knocking at JD to let them know a frame that should not break for 25 years, broke. They might help with the fix, because this is a super bad PR for them. One youtube video of this is a crushing blow for any manufacturer.