Best Model for My Needs?

/ Best Model for My Needs? #1  

atomchaser

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS 4145HC
I'm planning on buying a new tractor in the next 6 months. I'm leaning towards either an LS XR3135H or XR4140H. I have about 8 acres to manage, the majority wooded. My tractor needs are moving downed large trees (can saw them into manageable lengths first), clearing a significant amount of smaller trees/brush, running a chipper and a grapple, clearing snow from the driveway. I occasionally need to forklift 1500 lb loads. I already have a ZTR for mowing the lawn. Attached are some pictures of the property. The trees are not quite as dense as it seems in the pictures. A small tractor can maneuver through most of it. A cab would nice for winter plowing but I'm concerned it will take a beating in the woods. I previously had a Kubota BX but the ground clearance and size really limited its usefulness for all but mowing and light loader work. My concerns are having enough weight/size/power/ground clearance/stability while still being able to maneuver in the woods. Thanks in advance for any advice/wisdom.

As an aside, an LS dealer yesterday told me that they are going to be coming out with an XR3140 model this year.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

/ Best Model for My Needs? #2  
I'm guessing most of those trees are no more than 12" dbh. I would be happy with a XR3135 with a grapple, and if you really have some big logs a 3pt winch. Based on the specs I would even consider a XG3032 even a XG3025, although that is getting pretty light weight.

/ Best Model for My Needs? #3  
Basic advice is to get the larger one with a cab and cut your trees to fit. I went with the 3000 series but now really wish I had gone to the 4000. But if I had gone with the 4.... I would be wanting a 5000 now and will probably do that when the warranty is up on this one.

/ Best Model for My Needs? #4  
Go with the bigger 4140. Its always nice to have the extra power and weight especially when your moving a grapple load of trees. Trim up the trees so you cab doesn't take a beating.