Bought a backhoe attachment

/ Bought a backhoe attachment #1  

westernstar

Tractor
LS 3135
I bought the tractor last June, XR3135HC, and worked it pretty steady thru the summer. I was very impressed. I had a JD790 gear tractor before that was 11 years old, so this was a major upgrade for me. I had a 3 point hitch backhoe on the John Deere, and fitted it to the back of the LS, even though the dealer advised against it. Problem was with the seat on the hoe all the way forward, and when you would downforce on the boom, the seat would force back and push on the rear window. Plus it was a nightmare to hook the hoe on the back of the LS. Ordered an LS hoe in Oct, and agreed the dealer could order it on the back on a new tractor, when it came in, they would swap it over to my machine. That way it did not come in pieces and they would have to put it together. Said it would take 2 to 3 weeks. I called after 5 weeks, they said the wrong hoe came in, and had to reorder. I went to the dealer the 2nd week of Dec (9 weeks) and it had arrived 2 days before, was in 2 crates in the back yard. We looked it over and he said he would come and get my tractor the following week, put it on and bring the tractor back, it would take 3 days, and no travel charge to me. I told him remember, I can NOT be without a tractor if it is going to snow, and of course it started snowing 3 days later, and continued until last week. They came last Monday and got the tractor, and brought it back on Tuesday, so only 2 days. Very impressed with the service and the hoe, but as you can see, it may be awhile before I get out there to dig.

George

Attachments

• DSCN1032.JPG
    DSCN1032.JPG
    427.7 KB · Views: 1,060
   / Bought a backhoe attachment #2  
Backhoes are very handy, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of use from yours. We've had our attachment for a few years now and I've got no complaints.

/ Bought a backhoe attachment #3  
I have a Massey about that size, great for clearing stumps , big ones when it's wet even. FYI leave it on in the winter unless using a back blade. The extra 1000 lbs gives great traction�� Another FYI. When you drop it try to put it on FLAT GROUND . You can drop those anywhere but unless it's flat and you have a room to align and back straight in to it You will soon hate life. I set mine on 2 pallets covered with old 2x 8, 10' 12's just set on as a deck. Your first couple times hooking into it it's very helpful to have a helper

/ Bought a backhoe attachment #4  
When you drop it try to put it on FLAT GROUND . You can drop those anywhere but unless it's flat and you have a room to align and back straight in to it You will soon hate life. I set mine on 2 pallets covered with old 2x 8, 10' 12's just set on as a deck.

I second that!

Good luck and be careful!

/ Bought a backhoe attachment
Thanks for the tips. I dropped it off a couple of weeks ago cause we had a big storm coming. I do not need the extra weight cause I have already loaded the rear tires, 800 lbs right there. I had an extra weight box on the rear of the John Deere that this tractor replaced and I could not carry it in the winter. Between the loaded rear tires and the counter weight box, it would lift the front bucket off the ground when floating it to plow snow. I just put the hoe back on yesterday, first time alone and I did alright, just did not get it lined up right the first time. Front of the frame was about 2 inches too far to the left, so I unhooked the lines, reset nice and straight and got it right the second time.
Only thing I am disappointed with so far is the teeth on the bucket. I could take them off on the 3 point hitch hoe I had and just use the cutting edge for a smooth cut, or bolt a long piece of flat stock to the bottom and use that to grade. These teeth and shanks are welded on so I can't do that. Thinking of finding shanks and replaceable teeth and torching these off and drilling the bucket for the shanks. Anyone done this or know where I can find them?
George

/ Bought a backhoe attachment
Thanks for the links. I had done a quick search before but most of what I found were for the bigger excavators. I also found the link to ebay, but they list a LOT of different stuff and did not do any detailed searches. I want the bolt on adapters so I can take them off, and need them to slide on over the cutting edge so I have to measure the thickness of what is there now. Not too concerned about the wear on the teeth, just digging in clay and loamy farmland around here, so nothing abrasive. When I get the time I will be doing more research. Thanks again.
George