Skid steer tire?

/ Skid steer tire? #1  

sbct

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XJ2025H
So came home from vacation to find water leaking out of a small cut in the sidewall on the back tire on my XJ2025H. The tractor is 1 year old and only has 90 hours on it. I called around and found a local place that put a new tire on for $212. The rear tires are 12-16.5 which I have discovered is an extremely popular skid steer tire size which is probably why everyone had that size in stock. So they mounted a new one up, took my $212 and sent me on my way. So now at home I have the new tire bolted on. The skid steer tire is a 12 ply and looks super stiff compared to the cheap "Tiron" brand 6 ply China tires that came on there. Anyone have any thoughts or input on this? I called my LS dealer prior to shopping for a tire and they told me to just find a tire that was the correct size and said to not worry about mix matches tires since I only had 90 hours of wear on my other rear tire. Are skid steer tires OK to run on my little tractor??

/ Skid steer tire? #2  
You shouldn't notice much difference and it won't hurt anything. Skidsteer tires are very rigid on the sidewalls so they don't roll off during turns, because they're basically being drug sideways. They do require more air pressure, so they might not spread out like a regular tractor tire would for ground engagement like when pulling a plow in soft dirt.

/ Skid steer tire? #3  
Are skid steer tires OK to run on my little tractor??

Being 12 ply's, (under a lite load) periodically check the air pressure. I'd bet they'll not show any visual hint that they (over time) have lost all the air and that might be fine except if you "break" your bead. Those tires also usually have a very thick bead and it might take the rated psi to keep it sealed or seated against the wheel. I know that gives me trouble on my SS with 14 ply tires. Other than those concerns you should be fine.

/ Skid steer tire?
Thanks for the responses

/ Skid steer tire? #5  
did you have the tire loaded?

/ Skid steer tire?
I filled it with water

/ Skid steer tire? #7  
good deal, had to check your location.... we need washer fluid or anti freeze around here and I get mild winters, My hats are off to you all in the great white north...