dash panel acting up, engine dies when trying to move

/ dash panel acting up, engine dies when trying to move #1  

Kenn1320

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS2030H
Something strange is going on with my J2030 tractor. I had the fuel can slip and a good amount of diesel went over the hood on right side(if your sitting on it). That is when the problem started, or so it seems. The tractor will start fine, but try to go forward or backward, or turn on mower deck and it dies instantly. The problem went away, but is back again. Now it seems to be worse as neither dial gauge work on the dash, and the hour meter cycles all zeros, then all ones, then all twos, up till all nines and repeats. It does this whether its running or shut off and no key in ignition. It would seem to me theres a short somewhere, or there is a safety sensor that is stuck. The seat one has been "tricked" for over a year, havent touched the others.
Any help would be great.

/ dash panel acting up, engine dies when trying to move #2  
hi ken, I ended up having two separate problems @ same time, BOTH are resolved ! My instrument panel functions started quitting, tach, hour meter etc one by one .. A new panel assembly fixed that problem !!! My engine turning off via fuel solenoid[could hear it click off, etc] like turning ignition key off,... It would restart fine and rev .. Even though all 4 of the safety switches checked fine with OHM meter, they are wired in series and the brake switch was the [BAD] one !!!! I simply wired across the one side of switch , left the other side alone [ it only turns on the brake warning light on dash panel] I have used tractor extensively since with NO PROBLEMS !!! If anyone needs to speak to me about problems you may email me with phone # or i will gladly give u mine P>S> BARTON TRACTOR People were a BIG help and mailed me copies of wiring diagram !! They also had the Lowest prices on all the parts that i ordered

/ dash panel acting up, engine dies when trying to move #3  
ken this is beoldi again.. YOU have the identical problem that i had !!! move forward or backward, engine turns off !!!! Turn on PTO engine turns off, Problem so erratic it, s hard to duplicate or diagnose I found that [WHEN] it was malfunctioning that i could sometimes CREEP forward with accelarator pedal then finally full pedal When i wired around brake switch it would work,, i,d stop ,remove wire ,, no work reinstall wire ,worked Problem fix confirmed.. I brush hogged, about 4 acres used about 12 hours additional NO PROBLEM I kept my neutral switch on accelarator and my PTO switch, got rid of my seat switch and 1/2 brake pedal switch Hope this helps,as i had this problem off/on 4 many months !!!

/ dash panel acting up, engine dies when trying to move
Message sent, thanks.

/ dash panel acting up, engine dies when trying to move
Well I replaced the dash and that fixed the issue. Im resurrecting this old post because 109hrs later its doing the same thing again. Starts, hear a click and dies. If I hold key it stays running till I let go of key, clicks and dies. Looking like I need to order another dash😡

/ dash panel acting up, engine dies when trying to move #6  
Do you store your tractor outside where it can get rained on? May need to get some sort of sealant and cover the electronics. (Liquid electrical tape maybe)
Might be able to spray some WD40 or equivalent on them and let dry out to see if that gets it going then seal them.

/ dash panel acting up, engine dies when trying to move #7  
Well I replaced the dash and that fixed the issue. Im resurrecting this old post because 109hrs later its doing the same thing again. Starts, hear a click and dies. If I hold key it stays running till I let go of key, clicks and dies. Looking like I need to order another dash😡
I had a similar problem with my MX5200 - had to hold the key, replacing the ignition switch resolved the problem

/ dash panel acting up, engine dies when trying to move #8  
Had the dash do a similar act, all 1’s then all 2’s etc. disconnected battery for an hour, hadn’t happened again 3038H