stupid question - bucket removal

/ stupid question - bucket removal #71  
PB Blaster is a real penetrant that works very well. Follow it up with white lithium grease, either aerosol or paste. It's weather resistant, highly visible in white so you know where it's applied, and easy to see when it needs to be reapplied.

/ stupid question - bucket removal #72  
Thanks Dave. Does it appear to creep well and get in to all the nooks and crannies? I just can't believe a lanolin based product with no solvents can work miracles. I want to believe because I hate corrosion.

I don’t use fluid film as a penetrant, just as a lube and preservative. Use it like a spray can of lithium lube or WD-40. (WD-40 is a poor penetrant). Fluid Film doesn’t smell too bad and is actually good for your hands.
I guess the best way to describe Fluid Film is its like spray grease. It basically stays where you put it and lubricates and preserves wonderfully. It is expensive though...But it is totally worth it when I go to hook up a PTO shaft and everything slides together nicely.

I use PB blaster for penetrating lube (or Kroil if I can find it) but I get an earful from the wife when I use it and get it on me because it stinks so bad.

/ stupid question - bucket removal #73  
I put some on a rusty bolt and nut, a couple of days ago, and when first applied, it bubbled a bit then just soaked in. They came apart easily yesterday.

Another product called “Slick Stuff” was suggested, on another thread so I grabbed a can at Lowe’s the other day. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet. Looking for something to do a side by side test against Fluid Film. FWIW the Slick Stuff is about same price as Fluid Film, at Lowe’s.

View attachment 535675

Edit: You can also get Fluid Film in a gel form with brush applicator can.

View attachment 535676

You can buy Fluid Film in gallon and five gallon pails on Amazon for $180. They even have a spray gun for undercoating automobiles.
Very good investment to help protect a vehicle where the roads are salted.

/ stupid question - bucket removal #74  
I don’t use fluid film as a penetrant, just as a lube and preservative. Use it like a spray can of lithium lube or WD-40. (WD-40 is a poor penetrant). Fluid Film doesn’t smell too bad and is actually good for your hands.
I guess the best way to describe Fluid Film is its like spray grease. It basically stays where you put it and lubricates and preserves wonderfully. It is expensive though...But it is totally worth it when I go to hook up a PTO shaft and everything slides together nicely.

I use PB blaster for penetrating lube (or Kroil if I can find it) but I get an earful from the wife when I use it and get it on me because it stinks so bad.

I’ve found WD-40 to be ............ not good for much.

I do keep some PB Blaster in the shop. Also a can of their dry lube. I use the dry lube on padlocks that are out in weather and shop drawer slides.

IMG_1774.JPG

/ stupid question - bucket removal #75  
Lots of product perform well. I have used many penetrants and many lubricants over the years.
My 3 favorite sprays are Fluid Film, Kroil Oil, and Corrosion X.
Fluid Film is NOT petroleum based. It doesn't not evaporate or dry up like petroleum based products. But it's down side is that it will not handle high pressure or high heat.
Kroil Oil is a great penetrant and protectant.
Corrosion X is my go to for electrical stuff. It even works underwater. I put it on electrical stuff that get wet.

/ stupid question - bucket removal #76  
Don't ever take the bucket on or off at waist level. I was putting mine on at waist level and it came off the mounts. OUCH !!!! five broken toes and a lot of tissue damage.

View attachment 531885View attachment 531886

Just came across this thread. Hope you're well on the way to recovery by now. I often change back and forth from loader to grapple on my XJ2025 without problem. When I did have a rare misalignment, I used to do exactly what you did. Not anymore. Thank you for the graphic warning/ reminder post. Funny, but I need to be reminded not to do careless things with this little tractor that I would never do with the big one.

/ stupid question - bucket removal #77  
It got a lot worse looking than that. But is getting much better now. Doctor's tomorrow and hopefully will be cleared to start walking on it.

/ stupid question - bucket removal
Well...I'm a believer! Without any attachments on, the pins still fell a little "sticky" (not retracting easily). I wiped off the grease that I could from the pins. I sprayed the fluid film all around the pins. I put the bucket on and put it to work for a few hours. I went to swap the bucket for the forks and the pins unlatched without hesitation. Night and day difference! Thank you again for the suggestion and all the feedback everyone provided!

/ stupid question - bucket removal #79  
Fluid Film works great. It is not for high heat or high pressure, but there are so many other things I use it for. It does not evaporate like petroleum products do nor does it turn hard as a rock like some greases do.

/ stupid question - bucket removal #80  
Fluid Film works great. It is not for high heat or high pressure, but there are so many other things I use it for. It does not evaporate like petroleum products do nor does it turn hard as a rock like some greases do.