Did a couple small mods

/ Did a couple small mods #1  

CMV

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST (previous LS XJ2025H, JD 500C)
I didn't like the size of the plastic tool box. Fine for spare pins or screwdrivers or flashlight, but a lot of things that won't fit that I thought might be handy to have. I wanted something a bit larger & figured a .50cal ammo can would be a good size. So looked thru the garage for stuff I had on hand and went at it.

Milled a 1/2" plate of aluminum to fit around the ROPS leg and drilled 2 bolt holes.

20171210_113152.jpg

Then, since it was so thick, drilled and tapped 4 1/4-20 holes (just pretend that 5th hole with the ground off broken tap isn't there) :) From there, just some 1/4" holes in bottom of ammo can and the can and plate are together.

20171210_113818.jpg

I removed the factory brackets and bolts for the ROPS. Since I was adding 1/2" that wasn't there before, ran to Lowe's and got 2 longer bolts. Had to get washers too since the oem ones seem stuck on the bolts. These are the longer bolts if anyone needs.

20171210_113908.jpg

Put it all back together, and it seems pretty sturdy. I worried since the plate is only under about 1/3 of the ammo can, but I'm not planning on filling it with chains or anything real heavy.

20171210_115749.jpg

20171210_115725.jpg

The light above it is in the way, but can still open it far enough, just can't open all the way unless I rotate that light. I used the existing hardware and mounted the oem tool box on the other side. Had to drill one hole, but no fuss there. But it can only mount on that side like it is, hanging off the back. So it's additional convenient storage for small items, but I don't like how it overhangs rearward. I have a feeling it will eventually get snagged and ripped off. Not sure, so will leave it and see what happens, but not putting anything in it I would care if got lost.

20171210_115707.jpg

I also mounted a fire extinguisher but do not like it all. Smaller typical household one in a plastic bracket. I was going to drill holes in ROPS and mount just like you would in your kitchen, but saw a youtube earlier today by Messick's stating not to drill into or weld to that framework. Their take was pretty much it knocks off some trade-in value since they can't resell that way and would replace it with a new one since it's a safety item. Not sure I care much about trade-in value...I doubt a JD or Kub dealer would give me much for an LS anyway since they aren't real popular around here, but if it does actually compromise the strength of it, I'd rather that bar be at 100% strength if I ever needed it. Anyway, just zip tied in place (the mount, not the whole thing - can easily get the fire extinguisher). Didn't take a picture of that fine feat of engineering, but you can see the type and location in this pic.

20171210_141650.jpg

Does anyone make a fire extinguisher and mount kit specifically for this application? Something maybe a bit better than zip ties and a fire extinguisher that was meant to be outdoors?

Lastly, I don't have a good place to carry a chain. Is wrapped around the lights like I have it OK or will that cause problems? Thinking once I bolt some hooks on my bucket I could move the chain there.

/ Did a couple small mods #2  
It's very labor intensive, but I suppose a person could get some 1" x .125" flat bar and form up some brace bands for the rectangular tubing, then weld a plate to them so that the fire extinguisher bracket could be pop riveted to that. I would just punch 3 #30 holes and rivet the bracket on. Later, if it needed to go back to stock, fill the holes with three quick blasts of the welder, dress it down and hit it with 40% black.
There are a few threads here about the merits / earthshattering consequences of drilling rops, you can search them out and draw your own conclusions.

/ Did a couple small mods #3  
I didn't like the size of the plastic tool box. Fine for spare pins or screwdrivers or flashlight, but a lot of things that won't fit that I thought might be handy to have. I wanted something a bit larger & figured a .50cal ammo can would be a good size. So looked thru the garage for stuff I had on hand and went at it.

Milled a 1/2" plate of aluminum to fit around the ROPS leg and drilled 2 bolt holes.

20171210_113152.jpg

Then, since it was so thick, drilled and tapped 4 1/4-20 holes (just pretend that 5th hole with the ground off broken tap isn't there) :) From there, just some 1/4" holes in bottom of ammo can and the can and plate are together.

20171210_113818.jpg

I removed the factory brackets and bolts for the ROPS. Since I was adding 1/2" that wasn't there before, ran to Lowe's and got 2 longer bolts. Had to get washers too since the oem ones seem stuck on the bolts. These are the longer bolts if anyone needs.

20171210_113908.jpg

Put it all back together, and it seems pretty sturdy. I worried since the plate is only under about 1/3 of the ammo can, but I'm not planning on filling it with chains or anything real heavy.

20171210_115749.jpg

20171210_115725.jpg

The light above it is in the way, but can still open it far enough, just can't open all the way unless I rotate that light. I used the existing hardware and mounted the oem tool box on the other side. Had to drill one hole, but no fuss there. But it can only mount on that side like it is, hanging off the back. So it's additional convenient storage for small items, but I don't like how it overhangs rearward. I have a feeling it will eventually get snagged and ripped off. Not sure, so will leave it and see what happens, but not putting anything in it I would care if got lost.

20171210_115707.jpg

I also mounted a fire extinguisher but do not like it all. Smaller typical household one in a plastic bracket. I was going to drill holes in ROPS and mount just like you would in your kitchen, but saw a youtube earlier today by Messick's stating not to drill into or weld to that framework. Their take was pretty much it knocks off some trade-in value since they can't resell that way and would replace it with a new one since it's a safety item. Not sure I care much about trade-in value...I doubt a JD or Kub dealer would give me much for an LS anyway since they aren't real popular around here, but if it does actually compromise the strength of it, I'd rather that bar be at 100% strength if I ever needed it. Anyway, just zip tied in place (the mount, not the whole thing - can easily get the fire extinguisher). Didn't take a picture of that fine feat of engineering, but you can see the type and location in this pic.

20171210_141650.jpg

Does anyone make a fire extinguisher and mount kit specifically for this application? Something maybe a bit better than zip ties and a fire extinguisher that was meant to be outdoors?

Lastly, I don't have a good place to carry a chain. Is wrapped around the lights like I have it OK or will that cause problems? Thinking once I bolt some hooks on my bucket I could move the chain there.

You can buy or fab up a quick release extinguisher mount similar to this one at
Summit Racing.
Allstar Performance Quick-Release Fire Extinguisher Brackets ALL1 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
They attach to a roll cage and to the extinguisher with hose clamps.
I have a couple really nice ones on my off-road car and they have never moved.