MT125 Backhoe owners question - Do you have a boom float?

/ MT125 Backhoe owners question - Do you have a boom float? #1  

mslisaj

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT125 Loader/Backhoe John Deere Sabre Lawn tractor w/Snow Blade
I was studying the owners manual for the LB1107 backhoe on my MT125 and on page 14 under "Backhoe Operation" and "Boom and Swing Controls" it states that if you "push the lever fully forward into the detent position, allows the boom to float. The boom can drift up and down without pressure". Well I have investigated this on my machine with the engine running and with it off and I DO NOT have a detent position. Does anyone else's LB1107 hoe have a float position? I realize that LS may copy manual sections from various machines but this leads me to ask if any one else's LB1107 has a float position.

Thank you gentlemen for reading and taking your time to respond to my question here.

Regards,

Lisa

/ MT125 Backhoe owners question - Do you have a boom float? #2  
I was studying the owners manual for the LB1107 backhoe on my MT125 and on page 14 under "Backhoe Operation" and "Boom and Swing Controls" it states that if you "push the lever fully forward into the detent position, allows the boom to float. The boom can drift up and down without pressure". Well I have investigated this on my machine with the engine running and with it off and I DO NOT have a detent position. Does anyone else's LB1107 hoe have a float position? I realize that LS may copy manual sections from various machines but this leads me to ask if any one else's LB1107 has a float position.

Thank you gentlemen for reading and taking your time to respond to my question here.

Regards,

Lisa

Yes, there is a float position. When I was digging a septic system trench, when I was deep at full extention and pulled back on the dipper arm, it would float back as long as I had the boom stick fully forward.

/ MT125 Backhoe owners question - Do you have a boom float? #3  
The loader is also supposed to have float, it should also be when the stick is full forward.

/ MT125 Backhoe owners question - Do you have a boom float?
Yes, there is a float position. When I was digging a septic system trench, when I was deep at full extention and pulled back on the dipper arm, it would float back as long as I had the boom stick fully forward.

Well "LS mt125 owner" you have me a little confused here. My loader definitely has the usual detent float of the loader bucket. But I have not found a "detent" float for the back hoe. Now the book only mentions float on the "boom". So you're saying if you hold the boom control full forward (there is no detent lock for this position) and pull back on the dipper the boom will float as the dipper comes back??? Is this correct?

But in my original post here I was quoting what was in the book and it mentions a "detent" full forward position on the boom. Do you have that?

/ MT125 Backhoe owners question - Do you have a boom float? #5  
I remember putting the backhoe control into the detent position, but it has been a few months. I have not really used it.

/ MT125 Backhoe owners question - Do you have a boom float? #6  
I remember when I was shopping for my SCUT, I ran into variations as I actually tried out the MT125 a few times at different dealers while comparing, and I found 3 different versions of the same labeled units, one that had NO float on either the BH or FEL, one that had float on the FEL only, and one that just came off a truck that had the float on both, IIRC, but honestly I looked at so many tractors I may be mistaken - again, but I just thought it strange that there were different variants on different dealers lots. Maybe it's that they used whatever valve body they could get their hands on to get them to market and then fitted with the float version later??

Thanks Frugalangler for your comments. I apparently have the model with the float on the front end loader and NO float on the backhoe. The labels on the backhoe do not indicate a float position like the loader label does. But what caught my attention as I noted above that on page 14 of the backhoe operators manual they definitely talk about a float position for the boom all the way forward into a detent.
Also to "LS mt125 owner" comment about holding the boom control forward. Well all that does for me is raise the tractor if the bucket is on the ground. There is no bypass in the valve body for my machine.

What's truly interesting too is the three men that have responded to my question all say there is a detent position for "floating" the boom. No one has responded that their hoe does NOT float either. Hopefully we'll get some more responses here so we can build a concenses.

Thanks for responding gentlemen.

:confused3:Could this post get any more confusing or mysterious? With the lack of a definitive, overwhelming response here I contacted my dealer today. They are telling me that there is a "detent kit" that I could install in "these models" of back hoes to give them the float. Really was my response? I just don't know what to think now. Some claim they have it and other's don't know. I guess I'm the only one that read the manual that noticed that it said how to use the "float" and my hoe doesn't seem to have that option. Just kind of interesting...............

Still hoping you guys will try your MT125's with the LB1107 hoe's and see if you have a float and let me know. Thanks again for helping me with this mysterious question................. :confused3:

/ MT125 Backhoe owners question - Do you have a boom float? #9  
Would you use the float feature with the hoe to worry about it? I'm going to play dumb here as I personally have little back hoe time. My wife has many back hoe hours, dunno if she ever used it. I've had some float time with the loader bucket. Would you use the hoe float to level the trench you dug or?

:confused3:Could this post get any more confusing or mysterious? With the lack of a definitive, overwhelming response here I contacted my dealer today. They are telling me that there is a "detent kit" that I could install in "these models" of back hoes to give them the float. Really was my response? I just don't know what to think now. Some claim they have it and other's don't know. I guess I'm the only one that read the manual that noticed that it said how to use the "float" and my hoe doesn't seem to have that option. Just kind of interesting...............

Still hoping you guys will try your MT125's with the LB1107 hoe's and see if you have a float and let me know. Thanks again for helping me with this mysterious question................. :confused3:

I'm just asking if other MT125 owners with LB1107 backhoes have a float position? If the main consensus here is "they don't have a float" then my backhoe is working normally. If the majority of the responders say "they do have the float" then I have an issue with my brand new backhoe and I would like to get it fixed. Pretty simple. If I never read the manual for my machine telling me how to use this feature I would have never asked this question.