Can hydraulics for backhoe be used for adding rear controls for hydraulic attachments

/ Can hydraulics for backhoe be used for adding rear controls for hydraulic attachments #1  

LS Tractor Owner

Tractor
LS XG3025 TLB, Previously MT125 TLB, Craftsman GTS6500
I saw a post on the Massey forum where someone made a top and tilt for their rear blade. I think they used the hydraulic quick connects for their BH, but they didn't specify. Would it be as simple as getting a valve, cylinders, and hoses? I'm looking to add tilt to my blade, maybe later angle. I know the basic operation of hydraulics, but have never made any type of addition to a system.

/ Can hydraulics for backhoe be used for adding rear controls for hydraulic attachments #2  
I don't see why not. It has the pressure required to run the backhoe. I can see it operating your blade or a log splitter with ease. You will have to plumb an open center valve in it to make sure the flow continues back to the tractor when not engaged. I would recommend one with spring centering.

/ Can hydraulics for backhoe be used for adding rear controls for hydraulic attachments #3  
I don't see why not. It has the pressure required to run the backhoe. I can see it operating your blade or a log splitter with ease. You will have to plumb an open center valve in it to make sure the flow continues back to the tractor when not engaged. I would recommend one with spring centering.

Ditto

/ Can hydraulics for backhoe be used for adding rear controls for hydraulic attachments
Thanks guys. That's what I thought. I guess most of the posts I was reading about guys adding "rear remote kits" (at crazy prices no less!) don't have the BH ports. I'm just not that familiar with the specific ways to add to a system.

/ Can hydraulics for backhoe be used for adding rear controls for hydraulic attachments #5  
On most tractors, the rear remotes and backhoe all feed from the hydraulics downstream of the front loader. So it sort of doesn't matter what you install first, it's all coming from the same place. Just be mindful of how the hydraulic system works on that tractor, whether or not a continuous loop is needed, whether the final set of valves need to dump to the reservoir -or- 3-point hitch (which then dumps to reservoir) etc. That is the important part. Whether you're plumbing in a backhoe or valves or both isn't real important.

When I look at the cost of rear remote kits, the main expense is in the valves, then the various shorter hoses needed to plumb the valves to quick connects, then the quick connects and mounting brackets. You'll need all that stuff whether or not you already have a backhoe. The feed line running from the loader to the valves (or backhoe) is probably $50 or less and you will need it whether installing rear remotes, backhoe, or both. So you are saving a little money by tapping into the existing backhoe supply line, but not a whole lot.

If there is any chance you'll want to use rear remotes and backhoe without first unhooking the backhoe lines, then take the time to install that way. Won't cost much extra (one additional hose) but now is the time to do it.

/ Can hydraulics for backhoe be used for adding rear controls for hydraulic attachments #6  
Thanks guys. That's what I thought. I guess most of the posts I was reading about guys adding "rear remote kits" (at crazy prices no less!) don't have the BH ports. I'm just not that familiar with the specific ways to add to a system.

in the situation where the main pressure line is used as the backhoe feed it is after the loader valve, which means the loader valve has a power beyond kit already. The kits people buy are compact and nice and neat... usually fit into a slot already designed for it and comes with all the lines/hoses and any power beyond parts needed.

For something as simple as top and tilt, you could use electric solenoid valves, but you would have to limit the flow somehow otherwise it wouldn't be very precise. But thats just for for ease of routing and not having to make sure the levers are in the right spot.

/ Can hydraulics for backhoe be used for adding rear controls for hydraulic attachments
On most tractors, the rear remotes and backhoe all feed from the hydraulics downstream of the front loader. So it sort of doesn't matter what you install first, it's all coming from the same place. Just be mindful of how the hydraulic system works on that tractor, whether or not a continuous loop is needed, whether the final set of valves need to dump to the reservoir -or- 3-point hitch (which then dumps to reservoir) etc. That is the important part. Whether you're plumbing in a backhoe or valves or both isn't real important.

When I look at the cost of rear remote kits, the main expense is in the valves, then the various shorter hoses needed to plumb the valves to quick connects, then the quick connects and mounting brackets. You'll need all that stuff whether or not you already have a backhoe. The feed line running from the loader to the valves (or backhoe) is probably $50 or less and you will need it whether installing rear remotes, backhoe, or both. So you are saving a little money by tapping into the existing backhoe supply line, but not a whole lot.

If there is any chance you'll want to use rear remotes and backhoe without first unhooking the backhoe lines, then take the time to install that way. Won't cost much extra (one additional hose) but now is the time to do it.

I know that when I take off the BH, the lines (2) going to the BH are then connected to each other, I'm assuming to have continuous flow. If I use a center spool, self centering valve, the flow should continue through correct? The cylinder would then remain where it is positioned?

/ Can hydraulics for backhoe be used for adding rear controls for hydraulic attachments #8  
I know that when I take off the BH, the lines (2) going to the BH are then connected to each other, I'm assuming to have continuous flow. If I use a center spool, self centering valve, the flow should continue through correct? The cylinder would then remain where it is positioned?

yeah thats correct

/ Can hydraulics for backhoe be used for adding rear controls for hydraulic attachments #9  
You need a valve for your remotes.

So you need to decide on 2 remotes, 3, etc.

Valve needs to be open center, AND have an optional power beyond plug.

The line currently running to SUPPLY the backhoe needs to be re-routed and NOW supply the new remote valves.

The Power beyond out of the new valve needs a hose added to get back to where your backhoe hookup was. This is the new supply for the backhoe.

You need to ADD a return to tank somewhere from the new valve. This can be Tee'd in anywhere with an existing return line. (the backhoe return is NOT an actual return line, rather that is the feed for the 3PH).

Then you need to add your rear couplers.....mounted however you wish.

You still need to couple the backhoe lines together when backhoe is detached.

/ Can hydraulics for backhoe be used for adding rear controls for hydraulic attachments #10  
LD1 has nailed it.