XJ2025H not enough lift strength

/ XJ2025H not enough lift strength #1  

CMV

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST (previous LS XJ2025H, JD 500C)
I posted before about feeling that the breakout/lift force on my loader seemed a little light. Also about how when I set the bucket or loader arms down on level surface, the right one hits first by about an inch or so.

Well, today I was moving and IBC tote with water and the platform it sits on. Here's what it did/didn't do:

First was moving the platform which consists of 12 typical cinder blocks and a 4x4 sheet of 1/2" PT plywood. I wanted to relocate, so I put on the pallet forks, put the plywood on the forks, then stacked the 12 cinder blocks on. I could not curl back the forks any or lift from the ground. A heavy cinder block is around 40 lbs (I think) and these are nothing special - just plain old cinder blocks that Lowe's sells. I do have a pretty stout SSQA pallet fork rig. 300-325 lbs. 12 blocks is 480 lbs more, & then whatever 1/2 sheet of plywood weighs. Basically, 800-825 lbs was the load. And my loader arms wouldn't budge it. Had to off load a few blocks and then still it really struggled just to get up up enough to drive to new location.

SO after that it was time to unload the IBC tote from bed of my truck. Now, not being stupid, I didn't fill the tote with 275 gal of water since I know there's no way my little tractor could deal with that. I had about 125 gal in it, and not thinking ahead, figured 1050 lbs of water + 100 for the tote should be right at what I can lift. However, I wasn't thinking about the weight of the forks. So my mistake. Easy enough, just dump some water out. I ended up needing to let out enough to where only 75 gal remained. SO that put the load with forks and all around 1060. And it still wouldn't lift. I could keep trying and got it to bump up just enough to slide it off tailgate. lowered it, and from ground would not lift it. Had it all the way back on the forks too- not sticking far out making it harder to lift. Ended up having wife work loader stick while I lifted on the tote to get it to creep up to height....

I remember reading when I was complaining before (from I think Tom Plum) that there is an adjustment at the loader joystick to relieve/increase/something pressure to set the breakout and lift force appropriately. All I saw that I thought was it was a lock nut with an allen head screw directly below the loader joystick. Not knowing which way to turn it or how much, I screwed it in a little, tried, screwed in a little more, tried, etc. Didn't seem to make any difference.

Here is what I did notice getting the tote out of the truck though. Level ground. The left side was picking up more than right side. Noticeable amount. When I did get it coaxed up enough to barely get it out of truck bed, it was at an angle with left side a few inches higher than right. That has me thinking that the issue is the right arm cylinder isn't doing it's job - left one probably doing what it should, right is working at reduced capacity, making overall lift/breakout force lower than should be and causing left side to lift more than right. Could also be why right side wants to hit ground slightly ahead of left too.

No idea how to diagnose, measure, or tell exactly what problem is. I know nothing about hydraulics other than they magically move fluid to do work. I'm not expecting my little tractor to handle a cu yd sized bucket of dirt or lift a ton on pallet forks. But do think I should be able to break out with full scoop of loose dirt taken from bottom of a pile or lift <1100 lbs load....

/ XJ2025H not enough lift strength
I have the LL2102 loader...I remember reading there is another model that XJ2025 could have that is lower capacity. These are specs for LS website:

LL2102

Maximum Lift Height (in): 85.7
Clearance with Attachment Dump(in): 65
Reach at Maximum Height (in): 22
Maximum Dump Angle (deg.): 52
Maximum Rollback Angle (deg.): 43
Digging Depth (in): 4.4
Overall Height in Carry Position (in): 42.8
Lift Capacity (@ Pivot Pin) (lbs): 1,270
Breakout Force (@ Pivot pin) (lbs): 1,640

Approx. Weight (Loader w/o Bucket) (lbs): 638

Am I not understanding something about the two specs in bold causing me to expect the machine to do more than it is capable???

/ XJ2025H not enough lift strength #3  
I have the LL2102 loader...I remember reading there is another model that XJ2025 could have that is lower capacity. These are specs for LS website:

LL2102

Maximum Lift Height (in): 85.7
Clearance with Attachment Dump(in): 65
Reach at Maximum Height (in): 22
Maximum Dump Angle (deg.): 52
Maximum Rollback Angle (deg.): 43
Digging Depth (in): 4.4
Overall Height in Carry Position (in): 42.8
Lift Capacity (@ Pivot Pin) (lbs): 1,270
Breakout Force (@ Pivot pin) (lbs): 1,640

Approx. Weight (Loader w/o Bucket) (lbs): 638

Am I not understanding something about the two specs in bold causing me to expect the machine to do more than it is capable???

825 lbs is pretty good for this tractor... you get 1270 right at the pins at full height. It can lift more at ground level but your 800 lbs is spread out over the length of your forks..? the further the load sticks out the less the tractor can lift at heights.

To test your hydraulic cylinders you could un pin them and see if you can pull it out or push it in by hand. If you can, The seal is bad or worse, piston is broken.

To adjust your relief pressure, its under the seat on the right side. Simply loosen the lock nut and turn in the set screw 1/4 - 1/2 turn but wouldn't go any further unless you have a gauge.

/ XJ2025H not enough lift strength #4  
No idea how to diagnose, measure, or tell exactly what problem is. I know nothing about hydraulics other than they magically move fluid to do work. I'm not expecting my little tractor to handle a cu yd sized bucket of dirt or lift a ton on pallet forks. But do think I should be able to break out with full scoop of loose dirt taken from bottom of a pile or lift <1100 lbs load....

I also had this issue, couldnt seem to get a full bucket because the tractor would instantly go into relief mode. Turning up the pressure 1/2 turn fixed that problem.

Ooops....wonder what that one I was turning today did??????

/ XJ2025H not enough lift strength #6  
the loader valve has its own relief pressure setting but its only second to the main one under the seat... adjusting the loader setting will not work unless the one under the seat was set much higher.

I think the 825 is poor at ground level....maybe my expectations are off???

I put the 4x4 plywood on forks, as far back as possible. Then 3 stacks of blocks, 3 high, then 3 more in a single layer. So the weight was mostly as far back toward the fence on the pallet forks as possible. Not like I was trying to put all that weight way out near end of forks or spread it evenly over the entire 4x4 area. And from flat on the ground, couldn't even curl that back - which I thought it had even more force doing vs lifting up into the air?

I need to get the weight of my pallet forks. Compared to similar looking ones online to estimate weight - I forget name brand of these - some name like Comanche, Apache, Tomahawk - something like that. They are oversize for the machine (meaning rated for MUCH more than I can lift). SO maybe I am estimating their weight too low and that's the issue? I don't think so, but maybe. Since I have same difficulty with a full scoop of loose dirt (think NC red clay fill dirt, just dumped from a truck in a pile) I think my loader isn't strong enough. With stock bucket, if I go into bottom of pile and push in, curl up to get a full scoop, I can not then lift straight up and break out of the pile. Maybe I shouldn't be able to do that, but for a small as that bucket it is, I think I should.

/ XJ2025H not enough lift strength #8  
My homemade forks and fence weigh in at 125#. I built it as strong as i could with out sacrificing the lift of the tractor. I have to do some concrete work this spring... ill see how much I am able to lift based on how many bags I can stack.

Just give the relief a half a turn and go play in the dirt. I think you will be a bit happier with the bucket in dirt work. Also I couldn't lift as I was plowing into the pile but once i let off the forward pedal... i could lift. Now with the pressure up i can lift with the pedal pressed while plowing full force with a full bucket

Will give that a try. Turn it "in"? Like righty tighty :)

I will know it when I see it? Tractor isn't here at the house so can't just run down the the garage & check...

/ XJ2025H not enough lift strength #10  
Will give that a try. Turn it "in"? Like righty tighty :)

I will know it when I see it? Tractor isn't here at the house so can't just run down the the garage & check...

yep, righty tighty or clock wise . Its just like the one on the loader valve