G3038 HST Pedal Return Is Sticky

/ G3038 HST Pedal Return Is Sticky #1  

flingwing1969

Platinum Member
The CA Cascades in the shadow of Mt. Lassen
Tractor
LS G3038, JD GT275, and Bolins H16
The pedals do not return crisply to neutral when I release either one as they always used to. This came on pretty suddenly, not gradually. It is more pronounced when the tractor is cold but is still not crisp even after reaching normal operating temps and after using the hydraulics some to get the fluid warm.

Does not seem to be the return spring but I did move that a bit to give me more tension. Squirted lube everywhere I could see any reason for it but the pedals still return to neutral in a very lazy fashion. They do return to neutral promptly upon applying the brakes.

It gets very interesting when my mature brain forgets they might be lazy and I drive up to something, let off on the pedal expecting a stop and it does not. Can you say "Scramble for the brake?"

Ideas? Experiences?

/ G3038 HST Pedal Return Is Sticky #2  
See if there is a damper attached to the HST linkage. I know on Kubotas, this can sometimes get sticky and need some lube. Unless you know what to look for, it's easy to overlook. If you can find some parts diagrams, it might help.

The only purpose of the damper is to slow the rate of return of the HST treadle (or pedals) back to center. The spring pulls it back to center, but the damper controls the rate of return.

/ G3038 HST Pedal Return Is Sticky
See if there is a damper attached to the HST linkage. I know on Kubotas, this can sometimes get sticky and need some lube. Unless you know what to look for, it's easy to overlook. If you can find some parts diagrams, it might help.

The only purpose of the damper is to slow the rate of return of the HST treadle (or pedals) back to center. The spring pulls it back to center, but the damper controls the rate of return.

Yes, thanks for that I did that on my B21, never got sticky but just as preventative maintenance. It is #27 on this photo and I drenched the darn thing but didn't improve things. 1 forecast.jpg

/ G3038 HST Pedal Return Is Sticky #4  
I had to remove a brake link on mine and found that the pin was so tight it was a bugger to remove. It got a some paint and whatever reamed out before the pin went back in with some lube. The dampener mentioned above- you may have to remove it temporarily to troubleshoot this.

I had to remove a brake link on mine and found that the pin was so tight it was a bugger to remove. It got a some paint and whatever reamed out before the pin went back in with some lube. The dampener mentioned above- you may have to remove it temporarily to troubleshoot this.

Thanks, I'll try removing it. Not particularly difficult.

Yours got slow too or were they slow from the start? Did reaming out the pin hole solve the issue (if you had it)?

/ G3038 HST Pedal Return Is Sticky #7  
I hadn't noticed a problem really. I was removing the linkage to install a rear skid plate and it was tough going. Everything else was loose and moved freely at the time, except for the 1 pin.

/ G3038 HST Pedal Return Is Sticky #8  
Yours got slow too or were they slow from the start? Did reaming out the pin hole solve the issue (if you had it)?
Did you fix your issue? My g3033 just started with the same problem. very slow to return to nuetral, and even then the pedals dont go back to even with eachother on their own.