Tooth bar

/ Tooth bar #1  

CMV

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST (previous LS XJ2025H, JD 500C)
I have a digging project for a friend coming up so want to get a tooth bar ordered this week. so 2 questions:

1. Titan, BXpanded, WR Long, etc...does brand matter? Will be occasional use and I don't expect to be doing huge amounts of digging - I understand my little machine isn't an excavator. Inexpensive but functional is what I'm looking for - suitable for "homeowner use".

2. Has anyone bought one for an XJ2025? If so, I need the size to get. Tractor in the shop right now so I can't measure the inside length of the bucket. Specs just say 50" bucket, but looking at how the tooth bars attach, looks like I would need a fairly precise measurement.

Does it have to be a bar? Bigger machine like a backhoe just has holes in the bucket and you bolt the individual teeth on. Can I do something like that or is the bucket too lightweight and requires the extra strength of the bar? Can I just drill some holes and use this: 7 Bucket Teeth Assembly 6737322Y Bobcat Style Bolt on Flush Mount Pin Skid Steer ? Or would whole bar assembly be much better?

/ Tooth bar #2  
The whole tooth bar only needs two holes, faster less work to install , Call BX the might know what one fits your model

/ Tooth bar #3  
I bought the BXepanded Piranha tooth bar a year ago. Great tool, as I leave it mounted all the time. You need to measure your bucket inside measurement for the BX model. The attach fitting on each end are malleable so they can conform to bucket surface. Mine digs well but is really helpful when I am clearing small trees and saplings....it pulls them right out of the ground.

/ Tooth bar #4  
You will bend your bucket lip if it is not reinforced which is what the toothbar does in addition to providing teeth. I have owned 2 toothbars, a standard toothbar I bought from Kubota and a Piranha. The piranha is much, much better. A word of caution: the bucket is meant to scoop, not dig. You aren't going to be doing a lot of digging with a bucket. You may need a backhoe or a excavator.

/ Tooth bar #5  
"You aren't going to be doing a lot of digging with a bucket. You may need a backhoe or a excavator."

I agree for the most part. Unless you are digging above grade, like into a bank to relocate dirt and rock for fill elsewhere. That's where a bucket with a toothbar does a great job. For digging alone, I prefer a toothbar over the Piranha. But I can see where a Piranha would excel for removing brush and saplings.

/ Tooth bar #6  
"You aren't going to be doing a lot of digging with a bucket. You may need a backhoe or a excavator." I agree for the most part. Unless you are digging above grade, like into a bank to relocate dirt and rock for fill elsewhere. That's where a bucket with a toothbar does a great job. For digging alone, I prefer a toothbar over the Piranha. But I can see where a Piranha would excel for removing brush and saplings.

For removing thick low growth, the ratchet rake works very well also.

/ Tooth bar #7  
"You aren't going to be doing a lot of digging with a bucket. You may need a backhoe or a excavator."

I agree for the most part. Unless you are digging above grade, like into a bank to relocate dirt and rock for fill elsewhere. That's where a bucket with a toothbar does a great job. For digging alone, I prefer a toothbar over the Piranha. But I can see where a Piranha would excel for removing brush and saplings.

Use caution when digging with a CUT or an SCUT FEL. Take shallow slices and try to keep the pressure even across the whole bucket width, as opposed to one only one side - try not to take big bites or regularly cut with the corner of the bucket. There is a reason they are not called FEDs (front end diggers) as the arms really should not be stressed side to side a lot - they can be deformed or actually can fail under heavy digging - I've seen posts on here where owners had had a FEL arm fail.

That said, yes a tooth bar is a great assist in digging and I believe will actually reduce the stresses on your FEL as you dig. Here's what Airbiscuit said in another post and I think it is generally accurate, "A tooth bar greatly lessens the "attack area" of the bucket, and it's like having twice the horsepower and traction. I have also found a tooth bucket easier to work that gnarly mass of roots and sod. Companies like Titan and Piranha make good bolt on tooth bars for your bucket."

/ Tooth bar #8  
I bought the BXepanded Piranha tooth bar a year ago. Great tool, as I leave it mounted all the time. You need to measure your bucket inside measurement for the BX model. The attach fitting on each end are malleable so they can conform to bucket surface. Mine digs well but is really helpful when I am clearing small trees and saplings....it pulls them right out of the ground.

You will bend your bucket lip if it is not reinforced which is what the toothbar does in addition to providing teeth. I have owned 2 toothbars, a standard toothbar I bought from Kubota and a Piranha. The piranha is much, much better. A word of caution: the bucket is meant to scoop, not dig. You aren't going to be doing a lot of digging with a bucket. You may need a backhoe or a excavator.

What they wrote.

My two Kubota's wear Piranha's all the time. I can even slip my clamp-on loader forks over them. Remember your tractor has a FRONT END LOADER. Not a Front End Dozer (FED)). If you can break up whatever you need to move BEFORE loading it you'll do a lot better. For example run a box blade through packed soil with scarifiers fully extended, then use the FEL to move it.

Many people have bent FEL's by using them as FED's. Unbending is not always easy or inexpensive.

/ Tooth bar
project is digging into a hillside to create a fire pit area. I think I can do it with some teeth. Small bites at a time, but think I can get it done.

Tractor is at dealer anyway for some repair work. They said they can order one and install for $400. Since already there and they can have it ready to go by Saturday think I'll just go that route

/ Tooth bar #10  
What they wrote.

My two Kubota's wear Piranha's all the time. I can even slip my clamp-on loader forks over them. Remember your tractor has a FRONT END LOADER. Not a Front End Dozer (FED)). If you can break up whatever you need to move BEFORE loading it you'll do a lot better. For example run a box blade through packed soil with scarifiers fully extended, then use the FEL to move it.

Many people have bent FEL's by using them as FED's. Unbending is not always easy or inexpensive.

Do they interfere at all with loading gravel, dirt, or road base?