Lisa finally puts her MT125 to work

/ Lisa finally puts her MT125 to work #1  

mslisaj

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT125 Loader/Backhoe John Deere Sabre Lawn tractor w/Snow Blade
Well I have owned my tractor for six months now and have 30 hours on it. Pushed a little snow with it but today I got the buckets dirty for the first time. My neighbor wanted a burn pit in his back yard so I dug a 6' X 8' X 2' hole for him. I was very pleased with the power of the machine. While it had a little trouble getting through the top layer of tough old grass it had the power to drag the machine around easily. Once I broke the surface I was home free and this is the very first time I have ever run a back hoe and it was fun. I got the 30 hours on the machine practicing in my shop digging on the concrete floor. I had a good idea what I needed to do with the levers and I spent a little over an hour with this and moved the machine once. I had a blast doing this and now the MT125 is washed off and wiped down and ready for the next time.
The video was taken by my friend so it's not the best but he got the job done. Sound is poor too but this is the first time out with my first tractor and I'm very proud. Actually took longer to figure out how to get the video off his phone and up load it and then down load it and then up load it to YouTube so I hope this link works.
Thank you all for your constant support.
Lisa :cool2::thumbsup:

Lisa digging first hole - YouTube

/ Lisa finally puts her MT125 to work #2  
Isn't work fun? Not bad for first time out. The more you practice the more fluid your movements will become and workin' that hoe will become second nature. I'm hoping my muscles have better memory than my mind. Glad you had fun and could finally get outside and work it.

Don't forget to get "Locates" done before digging.

/ Lisa finally puts her MT125 to work
811 is the call before you dig number and I'll use it.
Thanks Doofy for your comments. I know you guys were waiting for the first dig and while the video wasn't as good as everyone else's I was happy to get it and too excited to start digging to get my iPad out.
Regards,

Lisa

Last edited:
   / Lisa finally puts her MT125 to work #4  
I can tell you REALLY practiced in the garage. You did well for the first time out! As Doofy stated, you'll get more fluid and faster with experience. It's definitely FUN!.

/ Lisa finally puts her MT125 to work #5  
Well I have owned my tractor for six months now and have 30 hours on it. Pushed a little snow with it but today I got the buckets dirty for the first time. My neighbor wanted a burn pit in his back yard so I dug a 6' X 8' X 2' hole for him. I was very pleased with the power of the machine. While it had a little trouble getting through the top layer of tough old grass it had the power to drag the machine around easily. Once I broke the surface I was home free and this is the very first time I have ever run a back hoe and it was fun. I got the 30 hours on the machine practicing in my shop digging on the concrete floor. I had a good idea what I needed to do with the levers and I spent a little over an hour with this and moved the machine once. I had a blast doing this and now the MT125 is washed off and wiped down and ready for the next time.
The video was taken by my friend so it's not the best but he got the job done. Sound is poor too but this is the first time out with my first tractor and I'm very proud. Actually took longer to figure out how to get the video off his phone and up load it and then down load it and then up load it to YouTube so I hope this link works.
Thank you all for your constant support.
Lisa :cool2::thumbsup:

Lisa digging first hole - YouTube
Great job! Impressive skills for first dig with a new Tractor. You will be whipping that backhoe around in no time.

Thanks "LSmt125owner" and "rider7767" for your comments here. Both you gentlemen have really supported my efforts with this new tractor and I so appreciate it. I was nervous, anxious and when my neighbor offered the job I couldn't get over there fast enough. I had to grease the hoe before I went over there so that took some time but I got set up and really didn't know how that first scoop would go as I had never actually tried to "dig" anything before. I really had fun and I can't say enough for the engineering that LS put into that machine. It's power to weight seemed perfect and it dug that hole easily. I've never operated a backhoe before so of course I don't have any experience to fall back on in comparison. But for what I would ever need to do this MT125 is the perfect combination for me.
Thanks again "Doofy", "LSmt125owner" and certainly "rider7767" for taking your time to comment here. I so appreciate it as I have received a wealth of knowledge from this forum about my tractor.

Best regards,
Lisa

/ Lisa finally puts her MT125 to work #7  
Cheers:drink: It is truly amazing how much fun "Work" can actually be. I play "Bootcamp" every so often...I just motor out to the back 40 and dig a hole just to cover it back up. A little practice never hurts. Always be safety minded and enjoy.

/ Lisa finally puts her MT125 to work #8  
Yes, always be aware of the power that the BH has! It will lift up the back of the tractor like it weighs 10lbs. When I was doing the septic trenches, it kinda helped because they were at least 24" wide. I would just shift the tractor side to side using the hoe to line up. I know you shouldn't do that, both for safety and abuse of the machine, but it was just too easy. Never said I wasn't going to work the heck out of it!

Work with our tractors is certainly fun. Around my place I don't have anything to do. I can see using the bucket to move piles of leaves to the burn pile. Or move some delivered rock around the place. But I think my friends have the most interesting work for me. I don't have a trailer so they will have to come and get me but my next project is to dig a 4 foot hole to bury a plastic tank for a friend. After the hole is dug I get the fun of moving the pile of dirt to his "storage" area. I can't wait. Also I am so safety conscious and understand about carrying a load low and taking my time. But as you say "this work is certainly fun" with our tractors.
On moving the tractor around with the hoe I remember a fleet manager I worked for at one time complain about the guys moving the hoe's around like that as it was supposed to wear all the joints. But I watched these guys do it all day long and the machines seemed to last for ever. But when I did it I was very careful and very easy on the machine and didn't twist it up. When I dug this hole I actually dug it from one side and it was angled and then I moved to the other and finished it all up square. Didn't take much moving but I could see the advantage with digging a trench.
But anyway gentlemen, thanks for your comments and support.

Regards,
Lisa

/ Lisa finally puts her MT125 to work #10  
When I am not using the hoe it is in the "transport position" and the dipper and bucket are strapped tight to the mast with a heavy duty ratchet strap. This keeps everything from bouncing and banging around.