Oil & Fuel Oil/Filter Surprise

/ Oil/Filter Surprise #1  

scodemike

Silver Member
Tractor
LS XR3135HC
I have a LS XR3135HC that I just did my 50 hr service. I called the Dealer to order the Oil filter and he said just go buy a Napa Gold 1516. I finally got around to doing the work and found out pretty quickly that the 1516 does not fit. It is 1" longer than the LS filter and won't clear the loader mount. Removing the loader won't help because the bolt on mount is in the way of the filter.

I called the Dealer and his shop tech said that is what they always use, he didn't understand why it did not fit. I then went to Napa and they couldn't cross over to the LS filter number nor find anything that was short enough. I left there and headed to O'Reillys to get a WIX. Just before I arrived the shop tech from the Dealer called me and he stated that he went to try the 1516 on a tractor they had, you are right, it doesn't fit. He tried several filters and came up with a Napa Gold 1348. I purchased a WIX 51348, it is slightly shorter than the LS but fits. Which what the service tech said.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Last edited:
   / Oil/Filter Surprise #2  
Worth not getting OEM one for $13 from Messick's?

/ Oil/Filter Surprise #3  
I have a LS XR3135HC that I just did my 50 hr service. I called the Dealer to order the Oil filter and he said just go buy a Napa Gold 1516. I finally got around to doing the work and found out pretty quickly that the 1516 does not fit. It is 1" longer than the LS filter and won't clear the loader mount. Removing the loader won't help because the bolt on mount is in the way of the filter.

I called the Dealer and his shop tech said that is what they always use, he didn't understand why it did not fit. I then went to Napa and they couldn't cross over to the LS filter number nor find anything that was short enough. I left there and headed to O'Reillys to get a WIX. Just before I arrived the shop tech from the Dealer called me and he stated that he went to try the 1516 on a tractor they had, you are right, it doesn't fit. He tried several filters and came up with a Napa Gold 1348. I purchased a WIX 51348, it is slightly shorter than the LS but fits. Which what the service tech said.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

Wix and NAPA are the same, only the first number is different. NAPA Gold is their premium line. I get filters at NAPA at the fleet disount, 45% off the countr price. You have to ask for it.

Ron

/ Oil/Filter Surprise
Wix and NAPA are the same, only the first number is different. NAPA Gold is their premium line. I get filters at NAPA at the fleet disount, 45% off the countr price. You have to ask for it.

Ron

I knew about them being the same, it was just the Napa person couldn't find the correct cross reference to the LS, it was what not in the system.

/ Oil/Filter Surprise #5  
My NAPA guys have never failed to match up a oil or hydraulic filter meeting all the parameters if I take the old one into them. All the OEM's design engineers pick a standard filter in some filter manufacture's standard line. It is not plausible that a low cost item such as those two filters would be custom made. Air filters are a mixed bag, most are cross referencable but there ar some exceptions such as Husqvarna.

Ron

/ Oil/Filter Surprise #6  
I contacted Wix Engineering a while back, and they did not have a cross to the LS filter. There are several things like burst pressure, flow, drain-back, etc to consider when using an aftermarket filter. Even if the Wix/Napa filter fits, it may not be "correct" for the LS brand engine. For the cost, sticking with the factory filter while under warranty is a better bet.

/ Oil/Filter Surprise #7  
I use the WIX online filter lookup and they list LS tractors. Do a search on your model and it will display all the filters for your model. They had all my filters except the inline pre-fuel filter. Ordered all of them via Amazon and picked up the pre-fuel filter locally.

/ Oil/Filter Surprise #8  

I did a quick search on WIX for the XR3135HC and they do not have a compatible oil filter. They have the air filter, fuel, and hydraulic filters.