LS R3039 PTO Problem

/ LS R3039 PTO Problem #1  

joemd11

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039, Power King 1614, Simplicity Soveriegn 75th Aniv model.
I've got just about 50 hours on my tractor now. I was doing some mowing today and when I turned the pto switch off, the pto remained engaged:mad:. I tried cycling the switch off and on and even shut the engine off and cycled the switch with just the ingition on. Still the pto remained engaged. I was headed back to the shed (the pto switch was in the off position) and the pto finally disengaged. I tried the pto again and it would turn on and off normally. I will call the dealer on Monday but thought I would bounce it off this prestigious and learned group. Thoughts?

/ LS R3039 PTO Problem #2  
First thought....lose wire to the switch maybe?

/ LS R3039 PTO Problem
First thought....lose wire to the switch maybe?
Possibly, but I checked the connections that I could access and they seemed fine. Is it some sort of mechanical law that these glitches have to occur on the weekend just after the dealer has closed?

/ LS R3039 PTO Problem #4  
Sounds like it could be at the mechanical end of the operation. Sounds like something sticking, the way you describe it. I assume the switch operates a solenoid. Hopefully, its not deep inside a case and can be gotten to easily.

I was a little paranoid of the electric PTO control and voiced as much. I was told that is about what's done these days. I would opt for levers if I had a choice. I got a service manual and will see if I can make you a more informed guess. Of course my manual is for the R4010.

Last edited:
   / LS R3039 PTO Problem #5  
Well, the service manual I got is quite incomplete. No wiring diagrams at all. No theory of operation (few manuals have this these days). All there is is minimal disassembly instructions for various units of the drive train. I would hate to be up against any kind of repair and have this manual to depend on. The engine section seems a bit more complete (probably was done by Mitsubishi). I also have the parts manual which has exploded diagrams of various system portions. I see a PTO clutch but can't tell if it's mechanically or electrically operated (it is internal). I see no visible means of actuation. I think you are going to need to talk to someone who has been inside there and knows what's up.

===========================

Joe, what is your avatar picture??? I've been trying to figure it out and I give up.

/ LS R3039 PTO Problem
Thanks for doing the research short game. I have no idea how these things operate and just hope the dealer can figure it out without too much hassle. I was thinking of doing the 50 hour service myself, but now I may just have the dealer do it and trouble shoot this problem while it is there.
My avatar is the tail (#2) motor on a Mcdonnell-Douglas MD-11 airplane. I initially thought it looked kinda cool, but now not so much. Should change it to something else.

/ LS R3039 PTO Problem #7  
Well the 3039 is a brand new model just like my 4041. I called dealership last Tuesday to order a service manual. Parts lady called back and said ls does not have one available to the dealership or consumers yet. They are working on them.

/ LS R3039 PTO Problem
Boomer, how is the 4041 working out? Did you do the 50 hour service yet? I was thinking it is time to get the service manual for my tractor but I guess I'll have to wait. On the other hand, if I don't have the service manual then I probably won't get myself into trouble mechanically.

/ LS R3039 PTO Problem #10  
Well the 3039 is a brand new model just like my 4041. I called dealership last Tuesday to order a service manual. Parts lady called back and said ls does not have one available to the dealership or consumers yet. They are working on them.

I think the main differences between the 2010s & '11s, both the 30**s and the 40**s are the loader joystick position and the shape of the hoods.

I'm going to visit the dealer mechanic this week and ask some more questions. I have to assume that he relies on his experience with many machines over the manuals, if the books he has to work with look like the one I got. I want to find out if there is a wiring diagram for my machine and get a photocopy if there is. As it is, the diagrams in the parts manual tell me as much or more than what is in the service manual. Once again, my service manual for my old Cub Cadet sets a standard not met by the LS. But then, that tractor was really all Mitsubishi, and so too was the manual, I presume.