Traction Loaded rear tires

/ Loaded rear tires #1  

Bladehauler

Gold Member
Tractor
LS R4047
I have a R4047 and I want to fill the rear tires with water ( in my part of Texas we might get a freeze once a year for a day ) will it hurt if the water did freeze as long as I didnt drive the tractor?

and my main concern is rust, I dont think my rears have tubes, can you tell from the valve stems ? I know the fronts dont cause I broke the bead on one this morning .

Thanks for any and all advice !!

Have a great Labor Day

C-Ya
Scott

/ Loaded rear tires #2  
If the water in the tires froze I could almost bet there would be damage. You could put in an antifreeze water mixture to prevent the rust and freezing. Water is nowhere near as tough on metal as the Calcium ballast is. Another fairly new liquid ballast is Beat Juice. The antifreeze/water would probably be the cheapest way for you to ballast the rear tires. Some one else should have some more info on this.

/ Loaded rear tires #3  
It would have to be colder than just freezing for more than a day to freeze a larger volume of water like what will be in the tire. Like you said freezing isn't the problem. Put some type of rust inhibitor in with the water and call it good. I used a regular anti-freeze mixture on both of my tractors, good so far going on 7 years now. I would put in 3-4 gallons of regular type anti freeze and fill to the top of the rim and call it good.
But that is just me, others would do it a different way and that is good also. Any and all weight added is a big plus in my book. But again, that is just me.

Let us know what you end up doing and how you like it. I believe that it will feel like you have a different machine. I know it felt like that to me with both my 75hp & 32hp tractors.;)

/ Loaded rear tires #4  
I agree with MtnView but would use one of the more environmentally friendly anti freezes. The regular stuff does really nasty things to pets and animals if it ever leaks. Also has a sweet taste which tends to attract animals.

MarkV

/ Loaded rear tires #5  
You could put in a little of the RV anti-freeze. It is non toxic to pets and humans for that matter. It contains Propylene Glycol not Ethylene Glycol which is your regular green toxic antifreeze. But like Mt. View said it would take more than a day of below 32 degree weather to freeze such a large mass of water. Plus if your tires can get any sun at all they would have a heat gain in the daytime as they are black. Make sure you fill to over the rim 75% fill as this will help prevent rusting to keep the rim covered at all times. I think you could get by with just the water fill where you live it sounds like. And it makes it very easy to fill with water from your hydrant with a $9 burp/fill valve from tractor supply or others. Also easy to take the water out if you needed to. I cannot get by with straight water here, as it gets too cold for too long of a period.

James K0UA

/ Loaded rear tires
Thanks for the advice !!! I am wondering if it would be smart to break the tires down and put tubes in, then I would not worry about rusting the rims. or will 4-5 gallons of antifreeze in 55 gallons of water prevent rusting ?? my tires are 17.5 x 24 r4s.... I just don't want to cause myself problems later with bad decisions now !!

/ Loaded rear tires #7  
Automotive anti-freeze has rust inhibitor added to it, no need to bother with tubes. If the tire capacity is 55 gl. adding 5 gl. anti-freexe to 50 gl. water should bring the freeze point to somewhere around 20F give or take. Propylene-Glycol is the Eco friendly stuff but does cost more.

/ Loaded rear tires #8  
If you are one of those guys that happen to get a flat now and then, then the eco friendly anti freeze would be the way to go, just costs more. I personally have never had a tractor that gets used on a regular basis have a flat tire. Of course now by saying that, I will. :laughing:

/ Loaded rear tires #9  
I'm up here by Denton and have been running two gallons of anti-freeze per tire for over 2000 hours with no freezing problems.

I'll agree with Brian...you'll think you upgraded tractors. I actually forgot how nice loaded tires were until I had to rent a machine without them while mine was being repaired. The heavier rental tractor, even with a heavier box blade and 15 more HP, was a pain to run doing loader work.

/ Loaded rear tires
Automotive anti-freeze has rust inhibitor added to it, no need to bother with tubes. If the tire capacity is 55 gl. adding 5 gl. anti-freexe to 50 gl. water should bring the freeze point to somewhere around 20F give or take. Propylene-Glycol is the Eco friendly stuff but does cost more.

Thank You