Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    LS R4047

Default Loaded rear tires

I have a R4047 and I want to fill the rear tires with water ( in my part of Texas we might get a freeze once a year for a day ) will it hurt if the water did freeze as long as I didnt drive the tractor?

and my main concern is rust, I dont think my rears have tubes, can you tell from the valve stems ? I know the fronts dont cause I broke the bead on one this morning .

Thanks for any and all advice !!

Have a great Labor Day

C-Ya
    Scott
    2012 LS R4047 , FEL , Backhoe, kingkutter finish mower,68 " rachet rake, Titan skidsteer 72" root Grapple, JD 145,JD166 ........Dodge 3500 cummins, Kenworth w900l Cat powered ...

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MASSEY, CASE , FARMALL

Default Re: Loaded rear tires

If the water in the tires froze I could almost bet there would be damage. You could put in an antifreeze water mixture to prevent the rust and freezing. Water is nowhere near as tough on metal as the Calcium ballast is. Another fairly new liquid ballast is Beat Juice. The antifreeze/water would probably be the cheapest way for you to ballast the rear tires. Some one else should have some more info on this.

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

It would have to be colder than just freezing for more than a day to freeze a larger volume of water like what will be in the tire. Like you said freezing isn't the problem. Put some type of rust inhibitor in with the water and call it good. I used a regular anti-freeze mixture on both of my tractors, good so far going on 7 years now. I would put in 3-4 gallons of regular type anti freeze and fill to the top of the rim and call it good.
    But that is just me, others would do it a different way and that is good also. Any and all weight added is a big plus in my book. But again, that is just me.

Let us know what you end up doing and how you like it. I believe that it will feel like you have a different machine. I know it felt like that to me with both my 75hp & 32hp tractors.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

I agree with MtnView but would use one of the more environmentally friendly anti freezes. The regular stuff does really nasty things to pets and animals if it ever leaks. Also has a sweet taste which tends to attract animals.

MarkV

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

You could put in a little of the RV anti-freeze. It is non toxic to pets and humans for that matter. It contains Propylene Glycol not Ethylene Glycol which is your regular green toxic antifreeze. But like Mt. View said it would take more than a day of below 32 degree weather to freeze such a large mass of water. Plus if your tires can get any sun at all they would have a heat gain in the daytime as they are black. Make sure you fill to over the rim 75% fill as this will help prevent rusting to keep the rim covered at all times. I think you could get by with just the water fill where you live it sounds like. And it makes it very easy to fill with water from your hydrant with a $9 burp/fill valve from tractor supply or others. Also easy to take the water out if you needed to. I cannot get by with straight water here, as it gets too cold for too long of a period.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Gold Member
    Tractor
    LS R4047

Thanks for the advice !!! I am wondering if it would be smart to break the tires down and put tubes in, then I would not worry about rusting the rims. or will 4-5 gallons of antifreeze in 55 gallons of water prevent rusting ?? my tires are 17.5 x 24 r4s.... I just don't want to cause myself problems later with bad decisions now !!
    2012 LS R4047 , FEL , Backhoe, kingkutter finish mower,68 " rachet rake, Titan skidsteer 72" root Grapple, JD 145,JD166 ........Dodge 3500 cummins, Kenworth w900l Cat powered ...

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Automotive anti-freeze has rust inhibitor added to it, no need to bother with tubes. If the tire capacity is 55 gl. adding 5 gl. anti-freexe to 50 gl. water should bring the freeze point to somewhere around 20F give or take. Propylene-Glycol is the Eco friendly stuff but does cost more.
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Elite Member
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

If you are one of those guys that happen to get a flat now and then, then the eco friendly anti freeze would be the way to go, just costs more. I personally have never had a tractor that gets used on a regular basis have a flat tire. Of course now by saying that, I will.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

Tractor
    New Holland TC35D, Case TR320 CTL

I'm up here by Denton and have been running two gallons of anti-freeze per tire for over 2000 hours with no freezing problems.

I'll agree with Brian...you'll think you upgraded tractors. I actually forgot how nice loaded tires were until I had to rent a machine without them while mine was being repaired. The heavier rental tractor, even with a heavier box blade and 15 more HP, was a pain to run doing loader work.
    John

My Work & Stuff Photo Thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...to-thread.html

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    LS R4047

Quote Originally Posted by SSdoxie View Post
    Automotive anti-freeze has rust inhibitor added to it, no need to bother with tubes. If the tire capacity is 55 gl. adding 5 gl. anti-freexe to 50 gl. water should bring the freeze point to somewhere around 20F give or take. Propylene-Glycol is the Eco friendly stuff but does cost more.
    Thank You

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast