Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 5525

Default Thinking about a LS G3038, have some questions

Hello,
    I am new to this forum and was hoping to learn a little bit about the LS g3038. I am looking to replace an old Massey Ferguson 35 gasoline tractor and the LS g3038 seems like a good option. I am looking at the two wheel drive option with out the front end loader or back hoe. I'm planing on using the tractor mainly for Bush hogging and running an old pan plow. One of my main questions is: (and I thought I would ask the guys actually using this tractor rather than the dealer) does this tractor have a governor? When I am running the Bush Hog or breaking with my old Massey, if I hit a think patch of grass or the like, the tractor seems to give a little extra gas to pull through. I was talking to my uncle about this the other day and he mentioned that his MF 240 did the same thing but his Kabota does not. Any insight would be appreciated. Also I would love to hear any G3038 user specific reviews!
    Thanks,
    Chris

Tractor
    LS S3010

Default Re: Thinking about a LS G3038, have some questions

Quote Originally Posted by Vestry Farmer View Post
    I am looking at the two wheel drive option with out the front end loader or back hoe.
    Hello Chris and welcome to the TBN LS forum. I don't have a G3038 so I can't go into any detail, but I believe 4WD is the only option. While 2WD hogging is what I do most of the time with my S3010, the 4WD is real nice to have if you get into mud or whatever. I'd also look into how much you really are going to save by buying one without a loader as LS often seems to practically throw them in with the deal.
    Lil' Blue
    ------------------
    LS Tractor S3010 w/FEL
    Ag-Meier Mohawk Brave 5' cutter
    Armstrong Ag BB05-Std 5' Box Blade
    TSC CountyLine Middle Buster
    WildKat 48" Single Cyl Grapple
    Versatech 42" Pallet Forks
    A "no name" Stump Bucket that works really well

Tractor
    John Deere 5525

Hey Lil Blue,
    Thanks for the welcome. They do indeed make the g3038 in 2wd I saw it the other day at the dealer. This is basically going to be a third tractor and as I have A John Deere with a FEL and 4wd, I can use it for things that require a FEL or for pulling this tractor out if it gets stuck. Sure it would be convent to have 4wd and the FEL, but not having them saves me about $3,000. I just need a smaller tractor that I can bush hog in the woods with and is strong enough to pull an old breaking plow when I need to break patches of cogon grass in the field. I would just keep using the Massey as its a great old tractor, but its getting pretty torn up, so I'm think it might me time to leave the finishing mower on it and let that be the extent of its duties.

Tractor
    LS S3010

Quote Originally Posted by Vestry Farmer View Post
    Hey Lil Blue,
    Thanks for the welcome. They do indeed make the g3038 in 2wd I saw it the other day at the dealer. This is basically going to be a third tractor and as I have A John Deere with a FEL and 4wd, I can use it for things that require a FEL or for pulling this tractor out if it gets stuck. Sure it would be convent to have 4wd and the FEL, but not having them saves me about $3,000. I just need a smaller tractor that I can bush hog in the woods with and is strong enough to pull an old breaking plow when I need to break patches of cogon grass in the field. I would just keep using the Massey as its a great old tractor, but its getting pretty torn up, so I'm think it might me time to leave the finishing mower on it and let that be the extent of its duties.
    Certainly not the first time I've been wrong! ;-) BUT I did look before leaping:

-g_series_literature-jpg

I guess that just goes to show ya can't trust the LS Tractor USA web site. But I've complained about that many times before so I won't go into it again here.

Sounds like you have thought it all out and $3000 ain't chump change by any means. Also, I know how tight it can get in the woods with the FEL on and have sometimes taken it off for that very reason. You should try to get them to throw in a front bumper if it doesn't come with one, even though you may spend a lot of time pushing your cutter into stuff in reverse in the woods. At least that's how I end up doing it as most everything in there is way too tall to run over with the tractor the first time I cut it.

Well good luck with whatever you end up with.
    Lil' Blue
    ------------------
    LS Tractor S3010 w/FEL
    Ag-Meier Mohawk Brave 5' cutter
    Armstrong Ag BB05-Std 5' Box Blade
    TSC CountyLine Middle Buster
    WildKat 48" Single Cyl Grapple
    Versatech 42" Pallet Forks
    A "no name" Stump Bucket that works really well

Tractor
    Kubota B6100 LS R3039H

yep, they surely do make the two wheel drive tractors. I saw them at my dealer last week. They don't have a loader, have ag tires on the rear, and the rib type on the front. Quite a bit less money, as well.

Tractor
    2011 LS R4041EZ - 2014 Bad Boy CZT Elite - 1948 Ford 8N

I sure would like to see pictures of the 2WD model.. LS website does suck indeed...
    2011 LS R4041EZ - 1948 Ford 8N - 2014 Bad Boy CZT Elite

Tractor
    Kubota B6100 LS R3039H

Quote Originally Posted by boomer632
    I sure would like to see pictures of the 2WD model.. LS website does suck indeed...
    I agree. They don't seem to update anything. It does look like those 2WD tractors would be perfect for general farm use. If memory serves me correctly, i believe my dealer sells them for $12,995.
    Randy

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet
    2012 LS R3039H, 6' Howse HD Box Blade, 4' Root Grapple, CID Stump Bucket
    1975 Kubota B6100, Craftsman Garden Tractor, eXMark Lazer Z mower.

Tractor
    LS R4047 Mahindra 3505 Di

My local dealer has had one a couple months. I can't remember what he told me the price was.
    LS R4047 Gear Shuttle Shift
    Fit Rite TnT
    Woods RD72 Heritage Finish Mower
    Woods BB72 Brush Hog
    NH 918H Flail
    United 672HD Box Blade
    United 600 20 x 20 Disc
    Homemade Quick Attach Trailer Mover/Lift Plate

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I am one of those old school previous farm boys who thought 4 WD was for mud hogging in a pickup truck till I went up to northern Canada and got used to using 4 WD in icy conditions. Kinda same with the tractors, we never had 4 WD on the farm, just big old dual wheels for traction. Now that I have used a couple of tractors with 4 wd, I wouldnt buy one without it. You wont believe how much more a tractor will pull in 4 WD compared to just 2WD. Tire slippage cost you money in fuel. If you do any ground breaking with the tractor, you will be surprised at how much more efficient the 4 wd is. Just like the 4 WD in my truck, it is there if I need it, but if not, then just leave it in 2 wd. $3000 difference sounds like a lot but even it that is the case, it will save you more than that in the life of the tractor in less wear on the rear tires due to slippage and less fuel used for the same reason. One other thing that is of value is the much stronger front axle with the 4WD.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    2011 LS R3039

Four wheel drive is also good when going up and down hills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast