Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Default Re: Bad battery ???

Your batt has an open buss connector inside that should be making connections between cells. There is one between each cell. In this open condition the battery can be dangerous because a spark can occur at the opening [hairline crack] as you try to charge or take current. The danger would accrue if you were able to get it to trickle charge until it was fully charged. Water begins to electrolyse to 2H and O at this point. If charge was stopped and before these dissipated a load was applied the resultant internal spark could explode the batt. They should give you a new batt.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    LS G3033H

Hey Larry thanks ! That is the weirdest thing, 1 min. It's clicking the next it's gone !! Put a new battery in after I checked & cleaned the ground, it started right up ! Got the driveway cleared and ready for Christmas Have a merry Christmas all !!!

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Larry many years ago on first tractor, I noticed something dripping out the front of the tractor. It was Battery acid. The tractor was new, the dealers mechanic came out and declared it a bad battery, and replaced it.. Leaving me to clean up the mess (tons of baking soda). Of course the mechanic never thought to check the charging voltage.. Soon the new battery was cracked and more acid dripping from battery pan. They brought out a third battery, I said I will install it, as now I had a major acid mess in the battery tray..I cleanedit up and repainted, a few days later I installed the battery, it started right up and all seemed fine, then I checked the charging voltage... 17 volts Whoops. the Alternator is full fielded. So I started checking on wires on the alternator.. HUM this loose regulator wire have anything to do with it?.. YEP that was all it was. No regulation, the alternator is running full wide open and the outgassing cracked the battery cases. Lucky it did not explode.

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    LS G3033H

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    Larry many years ago on first tractor, I noticed something dripping out the front of the tractor. It was Battery acid. The tractor was new, the dealers mechanic came out and declared it a bad battery, and replaced it.. Leaving me to clean up the mess (tons of baking soda). Of course the mechanic never thought to check the charging voltage.. Soon the new battery was cracked and more acid dripping from battery pan. They brought out a third battery, I said I will install it, as now I had a major acid mess in the battery tray..I cleanedit up and repainted, a few days later I installed the battery, it started right up and all seemed fine, then I checked the charging voltage... 17 volts Whoops. the Alternator is full fielded. So I started checking on wires on the alternator.. HUM this loose regulator wire have anything to do with it?.. YEP that was all it was. No regulation, the alternator is running full wide open and the outgassing cracked the battery cases. Lucky it did not explode.

James K0UA
    Wow ! Good thing you caught that !

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    LS G3033H

Update, went to the dealer to get the fuel filter also took in the battery and he tested it and gave me a new one just like that !!! Now if it stays running it would help !!!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by G3033H View Post
    It is "0" no volts no amps right now I have it on charge at 5-6 amps
    I don't think a battery that is at zero volts will take a charge. My trickle charger won't even try if the battery is below 3 volts.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    LS G3033H

Had a camera at work with a rechargeable battery and they could never get it charged, so I set it up with a battery that had a charge and once the charger started the other battery would charge up, like you said it needed a small charge to start the charger. Same with some golf cart batteries you need a charge on the battery to start the charger Thanks Josh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12