Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Default Re: 50 Hour Service

Does that thing actually get 70 MPG. I had a 500 cc SilverWing (1982 I think) with a little trunk on it just big enough for a helmet and it did pretty good and had lots of power but only about 35 MPG. Then I bought a 1984 Goldwing and got about 32 MPG but man was it a blast to ride and powerful. A buddy had a 750 Honda ACE and got about 50MPG. 70MPG is like scooter or mo-ped mileage.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    LS S3010

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    Does that thing actually get 70 MPG. I had a 500 cc SilverWing (1982 I think) with a little trunk on it just big enough for a helmet and it did pretty good and had lots of power but only about 35 MPG. Then I bought a 1984 Goldwing and got about 32 MPG but man was it a blast to ride and powerful. A buddy had a 750 Honda ACE and got about 50MPG. 70MPG is like scooter or mo-ped mileage.
    Gary, I sent you a PM so we could stop hijacking this thread -- sorry everybody, I should have started a thread titled "Cheating on my S3010".
    Lil' Blue
    ------------------
    LS Tractor S3010 w/FEL
    Ag-Meier Mohawk Brave 5' cutter
    Armstrong Ag BB05-Std 5' Box Blade
    TSC CountyLine Middle Buster
    WildKat 48" Single Cyl Grapple
    Versatech 42" Pallet Forks
    A "no name" Stump Bucket that works really well

Tractor
    LS R-3039

I was hoping to get some additional input. As I have recently purchased a 3039 and 50 hour mark is rapidly approaching. Dealer wanted $1000 to do it, which seems excessive to me...but I had a flat in front tire after 1 week and they charged me $15 to fix and $20 for the tube...so, done with them anyway.

They said to change (I think drain is more accurate) fluids at 50 and look for bearing wear as Gary stated. Can I ask you guys with more experience. If I run the fluid through a fine screen filter, should I be able to use it again, or do I need to change it?

I appreciate any input.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 325 Garden Tractor & LS R3039H

$1000 is ridiculous!

Filters and oil should not cost you more than ~$140.00. That is what I paid at my dealership.

The manual does cover what you need to do, although I will admit that for someone inexperienced, the manual is not very well written.

Do you have any experience and tools? If so, do it yourself.

Tractor
    LS R-3039

I don't have experience with new tractors, had a JD M-50 20 years ago, but nothing like this one with loader. I change my oil & filters in my car, so I am hoping it is close to the same? For $1000, I can learn real quick! I guess my real question is, can I reuse the fluids, just seems like 50 hours of use on fluids is not enough to wear it out!

Tractor
    1958 John Deere 520, LS R4041, AC G, BCS 745

Bentley Meredith,
    Do it yourself if you can, this thread has a few good pointers on changing all the fluids, including the hydraulic system filter which is very tricky as the fluid will continue to pour out until the new filter is screwed on. I only lost about 3-4 quarts in about 20 seconds! Why there is no type of valve in there is beyond me. I changed my engine oil at about 52 hours in my R4041 and it was really dirty. Oil and filters are cheap, engines are not. The engine oil now has about 60 more hours and looks much cleaner than the original oil that came out after 52 hours. I got my filters at Carquest, and also got some backups from my dealer who UPS'd them to me even though he's only 45 miles away. Engine oil was easy, my 4 cyl. Mitsu engine has a double sump b/c the driveshaft for the front axle runs right thru the middle of the pan! Didn't expect that, so I had to drain both sides of the oil pan, imagine instead of a square pan under the engine, a "W" shaped one. I drained the oil at dusk and was going to come back to finish in the morning and wondered why only a couple of quarts came out (1.9 gal. capacity for the engine), really threw me until I could see better in the morning. Maybe there is a local tractor mechanic who will agree to do periodic maintenance for you at your place, saving any transport costs for simple stuff like oil changes. Good luck, send some pics and keep us informed.
    Tom

Tractor
    LS R-3039

Thanks All!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Farmall Cub, John Deere 322 w/ scrape blade & 48" mower, JB JR bucket, Simplicity LandLord DLX, Haban 3 pt hitch Sickle bar Mower, LS XR3032H

Quote Originally Posted by rwork View Post
    You are correct, according the the manual, you change just the filters at fifty. I changed my oil as well as the filters @ fifty, and will likely change it, as well as the hydro fluid @ around 150 (manual says 300).

I'm a bit late in replying here. I've been trying to read and make sense from my owner's manual. For my XR3032H, it also says to only change the oil and hydrostatic filters. I'm old school myself with many years of working with new or rebuilt engines of many types. IMHO, that first oil change and filter change is one of the most important because you're helping get rid of the tiny metal shavings from the initial break in of the engine. Those shavings can be unmerciful on the internal seals of any engine.

Tractor
    1958 John Deere 520, LS R4041, AC G, BCS 745

Engine oil, absolutely. Hydraulic oil not necessary until interval specified.
    tom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123