Up To My Neck In Stumps!!

/ Up To My Neck In Stumps!! #1  

rwork

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100 LS R3039H
Just about the time I think I've got all my stumps dug up, I stumble on another one! I found this one underneath my burn pile. Turns out this might be a challenge. It's an old stump, no sap left, all fat wood. I hitched up my trusty stump bucket, and proceeded to dig....and dig. Got down to about five foot, as thats as deep as I can dig down with the stump bucket, without falling in the hole!
Still can't get this thing to budge. It looks like this one is going to have a six to eight foot tap root! It's over three foot across, and I think I'm going to have to dig a ramp down into the hole, so that I can get the tractor down to dig a little deeper!

Attachments

• 2013-01-27 11.19.20.jpg
    2013-01-27 11.19.20.jpg
    833.1 KB · Views: 310
  • 2013-01-27 11.16.57.jpg
    2013-01-27 11.16.57.jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 262
   / Up To My Neck In Stumps!!
Here's some little ( 5 footers ) that I've already dug with the stump bucket.

Attachments

• 2013-01-20 09.59.59.jpg
    2013-01-20 09.59.59.jpg
    791.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 2013-01-20 10.02.26.jpg
    2013-01-20 10.02.26.jpg
    693.4 KB · Views: 270
   / Up To My Neck In Stumps!! #3  
If you dig out on all sides like you have done there and still cant get it out, then just pile the brush pile back on top and set it on fire. IT should burn to ground level. Then just backfill it.
However from my experience in digging out stumps with the backhoe, it looks like you are almost there. Those stabilizing roots the run to the four corners are likely what is holding you. Try to cut thru those with your stump bucket or saw and the tap root should just lift right out. You may have to dig the other side out also to expose the roots from that side but it may come loose when you get the ones expose now cut thru. Don't worry about the tap root, it is tapered and should just lift right out when you get the others cut.

Gary, I did manage to break through those other roots, but she's still held tight. I'm down to that good ole sticky yellow clay.
Got a nice stick of dynamite laying around!?!

/ Up To My Neck In Stumps!! #5  
Oh just pile it up with other wood get some beer and invite your friends over for a bond fire she'll burn right down into the earth. Of course you should level it out around there if there is beer involved!

Oh just pile it up with other wood get some beer and invite your friends over for a bond fire she'll burn right down into the earth. Of course you should level it out around there if there is beer involved!

That might just be the best option!!:thumbsup:

/ Up To My Neck In Stumps!! #8  
pressure wash them and have them saw-milled. Expensive, but nice looking boards.

David

In case you didn't notice, I'm standing in the hole, and that's the stump my arm is resting on. I'm guess there's another three foot still underground!

/ Up To My Neck In Stumps!! #10  
Had a bond fire over a stump last summer, it was at lease 3 1/2 feet accross it was still burning 4 days later down under the ground. Burried the 2 1/2 foot deep hole after 5 days figured that was far enough down. No that was a pretty dead tree so it burnt very well.