Might be offline for a few Weeks

/ Might be offline for a few Weeks #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
My old company that I retired from called yesterday to see if I would help them out for about a month or two on a job in Angola Africa. They have a new contract there for site prep work and the QA Manager they are going to put on it cant get off his present job till end of May so I said I would go over and fill in till then. Put a few coins in the bank for me and they don't have to hire a temporary employee (most folks don't want that anyway) My contact person said he would call me back next week for more info. I suppose they have to submit my resume to the client for approval first as this is normally the case. Yeah I know, another garden spot in the universe just like the last three assignments in Coatzacoalcos, Mexico; Warri,Nigeria and Skikda, Algeria

/ Might be offline for a few Weeks #2  
Well you better get some good photos for us! :)

Do you get additional "hazard" pay? We get hazard pay for working in places like Nigeria.

Good luck and have fun! Ill miss seeing pics of your tractor

/ Might be offline for a few Weeks #3  

Do you get additional "hazard" pay? We get hazard pay for working in places like Nigeria.

Hi I'm louie:dance1:. Get there safe. Is that your baby in the bucket. My dad p

/ Might be offline for a few Weeks #4  
Gary what is your line of work ? and good luck with the extra $$$$ in this day and age it always helps out, ...... by the way do you need any one to baby sit the 7010.... if you do just drop it off will take really good care of it .... LOL

/ Might be offline for a few Weeks #5  
My old company that I retired from called yesterday to see if I would help them out for about a month or two on a job in Angola Africa. They have a new contract there for site prep work and the QA Manager they are going to put on it cant get off his present job till end of May so I said I would go over and fill in till then. Put a few coins in the bank for me and they don't have to hire a temporary employee (most folks don't want that anyway) My contact person said he would call me back next week for more info. I suppose they have to submit my resume to the client for approval first as this is normally the case. Yeah I know, another garden spot in the universe just like the last three assignments in Coatzacoalcos, Mexico; Warri,Nigeria and Skikda, Algeria

OH WOW.....I remember Coatzi all too well....!!!!

Wave as you fly over Equatorial Guinea....I'm Medic-ing on an FPSO here...

...and....

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.....

Terry

/ Might be offline for a few Weeks #6  
Good luck.

Keep us posted! (pun intended) :D:thumbsup:

/ Might be offline for a few Weeks #7  
Good luck and be careful Gary. I wish you had a Ham license. It would fun to talk to you from some of those terrible unrepresented places in the Amateur Radio world.

James K0UA

/ Might be offline for a few Weeks
I will take my camera but if it is like the other places there isn't much of interest. This being a site prep job, I don't know what kind of infrastructure that they will have in place when I get there as far as internet availability. It usually takes several months to get all the offices set up, wired up for intranet/internet service.
I retired from KBR and engineering and construction company with home office in Houston Texas. We do all kinds of petro-chemical, refinery type work. We did a few nukes but got out of that business. My experience as been in the Power and Petro-Chem divisions building power generation facilities, paper mills (1 time), lots of refineries, several LNG plants and 2 GTL (gas to liquid where natural gas is transformed into a diesel fuel ) I retired as a Construction Project Quality Manager.

/ Might be offline for a few Weeks #9  
Stay safe.

/ Might be offline for a few Weeks

Maybe I can send some big dirt moving photos rather than tractor.
As for Hazard Pay, They pay what they call "uplift" which is a markup on your base salary 10-50% depending on the location, severity and danger+ OT + sometimes a completion bonus (Nigeria was 10% of gross income as a completion bonus + 77hours per week of pay based on my Houston salary base + 30% uplift with an 8week on and 3 week off) 8 week on was basically like getting 2 months salary (salary is based on 40 hours per week) x 1.3 multiplier on top of that. Off time was only paid 40 hours but we did get the overseas uplift on it. Very few jobs pay a completion bonus unless there is a big personnel turnover. Nigeria also put us in Business class flights which is not something KBR does for travel on most jobs.