Hydrostatic Drive

/ Hydrostatic Drive #1  

dacoonz

Tractor
Kubota L2800
I am looking at the LS3033 and am trying to decide if the hydrostatic drive is sound on these tractors. The dealer recommends synchro shuttle and that hydrostatics require more maintenance and requires the engine to be run at higher speeds. They don't stock many and talk them down. Perhaps because the LS buyers are price conscious. Kubota hydrostatics are highly touted, but I haven't heard anything about LS. Others tell me that if we are doing a lot of close work with a FEL that shuttles are more work and that it can wear the clutch.

Any comments welcome.

/ Hydrostatic Drive #2  
Sounds to me like the dealer has no hst inventory and to compensate is "mean mouthing" the product. Your assumptions about the value of an hst is correct. They work well for loader and close mowing work. I think I would look for another dealer.

/ Hydrostatic Drive #3  
I would suspect that LS uses a name brand HST and that it would function and last as well as Kubota, JD, MF, etc. Agree that it appears to be time to find another dealer that doesn't try to use badmouthing as a sales tool.

/ Hydrostatic Drive #4  
I think you're dealer is full of it. Other than fluid and filters, I don't see a whole lot more work to keep an HST running properly, and they're unbelievably easier for doing FEL work, or anything requiring a soft touch.

/ Hydrostatic Drive
Thanks to all for the comments. The closer I get to buying the more questions arise. The common theme that I'm getting is dealer, dealer, dealer. That seems to be the biggest factor. Problem is all of the dealers have done or said things that make me less than trusting. Like dealing with a bunch of old horse traders.

/ Hydrostatic Drive #6  
When you buy, ask around lically about after purchase service. That is a make or break for me.

Good luck.

/ Hydrostatic Drive #7  
Thanks to all for the comments. The closer I get to buying the more questions arise. The common theme that I'm getting is dealer, dealer, dealer. That seems to be the biggest factor. Problem is all of the dealers have done or said things that make me less than trusting. Like dealing with a bunch of old horse traders.

I think the common theme here is "THAT" LS dealer is not the guy for you. He's not being honest with you for his own benefit, due to either a lack of inventory or a lack of mechanical repair expertise.

In short, we are saying...RUN, don't walk to another dealer!

/ Hydrostatic Drive #8  
I don't necessarily think that he is lying to you. I mean, it is true that the HST will have more upfront maintenance costs. Regarding that though, the real question will be how well both transmissions hold up over time.

My own dealer recommended the shuttle shift because he mentioned that down the road, a new clutch is much cheaper and easier than a complete new HST trans, should I have problems with either one.

However, I have not seen any threads about a bad HST trans in these tractors. Granted, they are relatively new here in this form... But like was already mentioned, they probably use a third-party HST.

/ Hydrostatic Drive
This dealer actually has a good reputation and has been in business 40 or more years. A local family owned company. From talking to him I'm getting the impression that they are just old school on some issues. They have used shuttles forever and that is what they use and anything else is bad. The Kubota dealer has been somewhat less than honest regarding prices. They failed to mention the cash discount and just wanted to push the 60 month 0% interest with a less than desirable insurance policy. There is a Mahindra/New Holland dealership just a few miles further away. Before I do anything I'm going to go have a look at the Mahindra. We have a friend that trashes Mahindra and Massey, but I haven't really seen any big issues with them. New Holland just doesn't do anything for me.

/ Hydrostatic Drive #10  
This dealer actually has a good reputation and has been in business 40 or more years. A local family owned company. From talking to him I'm getting the impression that they are just old school on some issues. They have used shuttles forever and that is what they use and anything else is bad. The Kubota dealer has been somewhat less than honest regarding prices. They failed to mention the cash discount and just wanted to push the 60 month 0% interest with a less than desirable insurance policy. There is a Mahindra/New Holland dealership just a few miles further away. Before I do anything I'm going to go have a look at the Mahindra. We have a friend that trashes Mahindra and Massey, but I haven't really seen any big issues with them. New Holland just doesn't do anything for me.

Mahindra makes a heavy, tough tractor. The price will be about 30% more than LS tho... At least that's what I found when shopping.