Loader Broken Grease Zerk

/ Broken Grease Zerk #1  

Kimbell

Tractor
LS 5020c
While greasing the Front Loader zerks on the outside edges of the loader arms i broke the tip of one off. I ran down to the hardware store and bought what looked to be the correct size. Got back home and tried to put it in and after about 2 full turns i could feel it getting tight... I of course stoped and called the dealer where i had purchased the tractor from to verify zerk size.
turns out that the zerk fittings are supposed to be metric instead of standard which meant another trip to the store for me. i took an unbroken with me out of another spot to compare to ensure that i dont make another trip into town without success. While at the store the only ones that seemed to be even clsoe is size were the 10 mm zerks. the 8mm were definetly too small but the 10mm looked, to me anyway, to be too big but not by more than a 32nd or so. I went from there to another 3 auto parts stores as well as two hardware stores and couldnt find anything that matched perfectly so i picked up a big variety kit of both standard and metric and headed home. After i got home and tried the 10mm and the same thing happened, the zerk seemed to tighten up while screwing after about 2 or 3 turns. "No the fitting was not crossthreaded as i tried putting it into 3 different spots where i pulled the good zerks out thinking maybe it was just a bad threads on the one location with the broken zerk." Needless to say i put the good ones back in and ended up putting the one with the broken tip back in just to keep dirt and grime out of the threads and hole. I contacted the dealer again and asked if i could just order some from them and pay the extra for shipping, the response i got was not exactly helpful though im not sure they understood exactly everything i had tried already but all they told me to do was to go to napa and pick up some metric zerk fittings. :(

My question is: Has anyone had any of these zerks break on them and if so where did you get replacements from, what size, and how smooth they thread in compared to the factory ones.... I was thinking that maybe they are supposed to be 10mm but the zerks were special made for ls and they are just a fraction out of spec or somthing?

/ Broken Grease Zerk #2  
This may be a silly question, but 8mm was too small, 10mm was too big. That leads me to the question, wouldn't a 9mm be just right?

OR 9.5 mm = 3/8". Did you try the 3/8?

/ Broken Grease Zerk
That is was i had initially thought but the people at napa and the other stores i went to didnt seem to know much about it but they kept saying that they thought that they only made 8mm and 10 mm, otherwise ya i would think that a 9mm or 9.5mm would be perfect but couldnt find any.

/ Broken Grease Zerk
Nice! thanks, I've also been reading that there are actually 3 different thread types on the 10mm zerks so now im wondering if i simply need a different tread pattern. Its gonna get expensive im sure but i think ill try to order half a dozen of every type i can find including those 9.5mm one you linked to on amazon. Only down side with those is that i really need straight zerks as they are recessed in the loader pivot bushings.

/ Broken Grease Zerk #6  
Go to a auto or machine shop with a gauge to read the known good thread size/ pitch and whether metric, SAE, or a different size altogether like Whitworth. Some online suppliers will send you free samples; then you can find the right zerk.

/ Broken Grease Zerk #8  
I broke one on a King Kutter PTO shaft and went to Rural King which deals in King Kutter stuff and they didn't have any the right size. A clerk there said check out the local John Deere dealer. They had what I needed.

/ Broken Grease Zerk #9  
Go to Harbor freight and get one of there assorted pack grease zerks, the whole set is like under $10.

/ Broken Grease Zerk
Thank you all so much for the help and advice. To update everyone I went ahead and called LS and got the actual LS part number for those zerk fittings in the pivot pins for my LL5100 FEL and if case anyone needs it the number is

40228707 - Nipple Grease Zerk , priced them out and they are around a $1.00 each depending on which dealer you go through of course.