Tire Ballast

/ Tire Ballast #1  

hd5

Silver Member
Tractor
MF2705, MF135 XR4046H
How many of you use fluid in your LS tractor tires? I have to have it in my 135 Massey or I can't do anything. I buy methanol at tire shop, dilute it and pump it in myself.
I don't know where to get beet juice and if it has any advantage.
Any thoughts? Methanol should be harmless to the wheels, right? I will never use calcium again...

I'm supposed to have a new XR4046H in a week or two. Installed grapple, and hay spear.

/ Tire Ballast #2  
I am considering filling the rears on my XR3037HC. After using the loader and forks a few times it seems the rear feels kind of light. I am thinking of using either washer antifreeze or RV antifreeze. My local TSC store has RV AF on sale for $3 a gallon. I figure I need about 35-38 gallons per tire so that figures to $210. or so plus tax, plus an air / water fill valve. I have a 10% coupon for TSC so the price would be $189.
70 plus gallons of washer fluid (the good stuff) is about the same price. Estimating each gallon weighs between 7-8 lb. I'd be adding 490 lb at 7 lb per or 560 lb at 8 lb per gallon. I already have the pump so the fluid, valve, and my time is the only expense to me.
Beet juice / rimguard is a little heavier by weight but would more than double the cost.
Calcium requires tubes and if you ever get a leak it will eat the metal rims.

/ Tire Ballast #3  
I've got anti-freeze in all 4.

/ Tire Ballast #5  
I have a L&G tractor, I used Rim Guard (Beat Juice) for the following reasons. We mow a large acreage parcel with significant hills requiring both side angle as well as straight angles of attack. My wife and son are significantly lighter than me and they share in the mowing.

1)11 lbs per gallon VS 8 for water or washer fluid. 30% more weight
2)Non corrosive
3)Pet/wildlife friendly

I pulled the wheels and took them to the dealer. The dealer used a special attachment to do the filling. However, when re-mounting the front wheel, somehow, the idiot (me) installing put it on backwards. The stem rubbed against the axle and broke. I caught it before much was lost. I used a valve stem tool, from TSC, to remove the internal valve. Held the wheel over a tub to let it drain. Then installed a new stem from TSC. I used a hand siphon from Tractor Supply to re-fill the Rim Guard. The hose on the hand siphon fit snug enough on the stem to allow for re-fill. Every few strokes I would pull the hose off and allow the air to escape. Re-installed the valve in the stem. Anyway it worked and all is good.

Yes more cost, I needed 20 gallons total front and back providing 210 well placed LBs below the center of gravity of the tractor.. It rides like a dream, and is rock solid even on 30-40% grades. And I don't have to worry about my dog Titus eating anything, nor do I worry about my fellow mowers, who are LB challenged, being unstable on the hills.

/ Tire Ballast #6  
I am considering filling the rears on my XR3037HC. After using the loader and forks a few times it seems the rear feels kind of light. I am thinking of using either washer antifreeze or RV antifreeze. My local TSC store has RV AF on sale for $3 a gallon. I figure I need about 35-38 gallons per tire so that figures to $210. or so plus tax, plus an air / water fill valve. I have a 10% coupon for TSC so the price would be $189.
70 plus gallons of washer fluid (the good stuff) is about the same price. Estimating each gallon weighs between 7-8 lb. I'd be adding 490 lb at 7 lb per or 560 lb at 8 lb per gallon. I already have the pump so the fluid, valve, and my time is the only expense to me.
Beet juice / rimguard is a little heavier by weight but would more than double the cost.
Calcium requires tubes and if you ever get a leak it will eat the metal rims.

I just bought 40 gallons of winter winshield washing fluid a K-Mart for $1.98 per gallon.

Eugene

/ Tire Ballast #7  
You will be happy loading the tires.
My dealer will not sell a tractor w/o the rim guard.
The rear end does not dance around when using the bucket, and if you plan on moving large bales they will move the weight further out and increase the leverage.
It's not the end all be all as I still use the box blade as ballast when I'm going to go heavy or oversized.

/ Tire Ballast
I just talked to the dealer where I'm getting the tractor and he said they use methanol, the same as I buy undiluted at a tire shop. The last time I filled my 135 it only cost me about $50.00 for both tires. That was about 3 years ago.

The fill adapter is cheap and methanol is pretty safe. The only concern I know of is don't catch it on fire, i understand it burns invisible. But don't think it would burn diluted with mostly water.

/ Tire Ballast #9  
I just talked to the dealer where I'm getting the tractor and he said they use methanol, the same as I buy undiluted at a tire shop. The last time I filled my 135 it only cost me about $50.00 for both tires. That was about 3 years ago.

The fill adapter is cheap and methanol is pretty safe. The only concern I know of is don't catch it on fire, i understand it burns invisible. But don't think it would burn diluted with mostly water.
What is the advantage of putting a flammable substance that weighs less than water in your ties?

/ Tire Ballast #10  
But antifreeze is toxic and will polute the ground if you get a leak plus more expensive.

You're right, mis-typed after reading the original post mentioning anti-freeze. I've got washer fluid in all 4.