Busy First Day with XU5065CPS

/ Busy First Day with XU5065CPS #1  

BlessedMess

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
Prior to delivery had the service department widen the rear wheels (should come set from factory like this -- probably easier to ship?) and weld hooks on FEL bucket... dadgum if TSC's hooks aren't within one shade of matching LS blue... the part that didn't get ground off pre-weld anyway.

Funny... I bought a cab tractor to spend my first 2 hours hanging off the rear digging with the backhoe, but man was that fun! Never used a BH before, but the learning curve was part of the fun and smooth controls easy to master. Lots of bamboo roots to dig out. Didn't realize how much dirt it was muscling around until I went back with a rake.

Many many thanks to all the current and previous LS owners for helping make this "first tractor" purchase easier. Y'all took all the fear out of buying blue and not green, red, or orange... and saving a mint. Oh, and so I don't get kicked off TBN for not following the rules: first pictures attached.

Attachments

• image-4117864570.jpg
    image-4117864570.jpg
    819.5 KB · Views: 411
  • image-1249734948.jpg
    image-1249734948.jpg
    620 KB · Views: 328
  • image-824402530.jpg
    image-824402530.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 336
   / Busy First Day with XU5065CPS #2  
Hope you enjoy it as much as i enjoy mine.
Cheers

Last edited:
   / Busy First Day with XU5065CPS #3  
Enjoy your tractor, looks great!

/ Busy First Day with XU5065CPS #4  
Blessed. Looks like you figured it out quick! 2 hours and I see dirt moved around. The XU and backhoe look like a well matched pair. Had I not already had an small excavator (Komatsu PC38-UU), I would have gone this route too. I really like the subframe backhoes for these tractors.

Keep the pictures coming. I'm sure you can find more projects that can demonstrate your new tool's capabilities!

CT

/ Busy First Day with XU5065CPS
Thanks for all the kind words and warm welcome. Nice to be in the saddle and not lurking like I was for months before.

More fun today with backhoe and loader... almost finished the big bamboo dig on the top of the list, and the first tank of fuel unless it stays at 1/5 a long while. Great weather for project, and performance from the backhoe. Very pleased with R4s and power shuttle too.

Observations/Tips/Free Advice?:
- Removed rubber pads from BH stabilizers (they aren't durable enough for dirt work and unbolt easily), but wouldn't mind some metal cleats that help grip when off pavement. Is that a custom project and/or desirable? I've seen where other BH's have stabilizers that are reversible between flat/rubber and offroad, but can't find any "universal" cleats and these don't reverse.

- Can see how HSTs come in handy in close quarters and for precision loader work, but also like the foot throttle, fingertip stop/go/directional changes and 16 "speeds." MF's DynaQPS may be the best fit if cost wasn't a consideration.

- Took a break from bamboo to dig out a big stump with some stubborn roots (won't even budge)... welcome any suggestions, or offers that involve controlled explosives (BYODynamite) ;-) Will chop thru roots with ax to see if that helps, or saw below grade if need be. See photo.

- FYI: Wal-Mart's finest Krylon "satin" black seems to be a very close match for the LS FEL bucket. Cleaned and painted the welds and few exterior scratches to prevent rusting, and lacking 10% phosphoric acid used the next best thing: diet coke. Will report back later how Krylon blue matches for implements/touch ups.

Attachments

• image-3071032224.jpg
    image-3071032224.jpg
    947.1 KB · Views: 270
  • image-2838216564.jpg
    image-2838216564.jpg
    936.4 KB · Views: 264
  • image-622715500.jpg
    image-622715500.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 249
   / Busy First Day with XU5065CPS #6  
- Took a break from bamboo to dig out a big stump with some stubborn roots (won't even budge)... welcome any suggestions, or offers that involve controlled explosives (BYODynamite) ;-) Will chop thru roots with ax to see if that helps, or saw below grade if need be. See photo.

Keep going south, not deep enough. Dig down until you can get under it, also got to get the main roots free. You should be able to do it all with the hoe. I have had stumps that I have gone down 4ft to 6ft before my excavator could pop them free.

CT

Great tip, CT. I had to saw thru 3 main roots, but you're right, it popped right out. What a great feeling that is... the backhoe is exceeding my expectations for digging/pulling capacities. After filling the hole back in I raked it smooth, de-rocked, and assembled some of the turf sod where the stump was (see pic). Figure I'll seed with annual rye as a winter cover or use as a fall garden plot since it was "tilled" about 4+ feet deep!

My bamboo dig is about done (pic background) -- thinking I'd like to terrace some of it and use as a raised summer garden, but will wait for a few months to ensure all the rhizomes are dried/dead. Will also covert part of it into a shooting range so none of the cows get lead poisoning

Attachments

• image-1700136351.jpg
    image-1700136351.jpg
    915.8 KB · Views: 228
   / Busy First Day with XU5065CPS #8  
I curious to know if there was an optional Hydraulic Thumb available for your backhoe from LS?
That would be a must for me.
You tractor looks great!!

Thanks!

I'm pretty certain the backhoe OEM is Taesung, and their catalog shows a picture of a hydraulic thumb (see below) but can't read Korean and didn't ask my dealer about it for the U.S. market. I personally might be fine with a manually adjustable bolt-on thumb, but haven't done much research on either. Also believe it to be the same BH unit marketed by Kioti as a KB2485, and did find a company with both mechanical and hydraulic thumb options: Hound Dog Attachments SHP Series Backhoe Thumbs KIOTI Backhoe Thumbs. The price is steep tho -- $575 and $1,175 respectively.

FYI: For any prospective LS owners, do be prepared for an underwhelming experience when reading the English version operators manual. It reads like the picture, with poor use of the English language and most of the illustrations look like they belong in the "funnies" section of the Sunday paper. I actually learned more from the JD manual for their BH!

Attachments

• image-4246158666.jpg
    image-4246158666.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 169
   / Busy First Day with XU5065CPS #10  
Can you reposition with the hoe , or do you have to crawl in and out of the cab ?