Bent stabilizer. Convert to ball bushing stabilizer?

/ Bent stabilizer. Convert to ball bushing stabilizer? #1  

nova3930

Gold Member
Tractor
TYM T494
Like others I managed to bind up the stabilizer on my Boomer 50/R4047 and bend it.

Digging through the parts list, it appears as if there's 2 different styles of stabilizer. There's a "pin and plate" like what I've got (and it seems like what most people have) and then there's a "pin and ball bushing" style. It seems as if the ball bushing style would be less likely to bind up and bend.

Has anyone converted theirs over from plate to ball bushing? If not I might be the ye olde guinea pig....

/ Bent stabilizer. Convert to ball bushing stabilizer? #2  
I vote you be the guinea pig.........because I'm going to probably bend one eventually and I want to know if it works!

/ Bent stabilizer. Convert to ball bushing stabilizer? #3  
Here is a pic of the links on my old Mahindra

I abuse it at deer camp and never have a link problem.
The first time I took my R4047 to camp, I broke a link with my bushhog on the back.
I am thinking of altering mine to accept the Mahindra style links.

/ Bent stabilizer. Convert to ball bushing stabilizer?
Here is a pic of the links on my old Mahindra

I abuse it at deer camp and never have a link problem.
The first time I took my R4047 to camp, I broke a link with my bushhog on the back.
I am thinking of altering mine to accept the Mahindra style links.

See I managed to bend mine just using the flail mower. Not really doing anything I'd consider hard work. It smells of a bad design. Makes me think the ball bushing version is an improved design....

Looking here

Object moved

Well, link isn't working but it's section 37.120.06

Looking at the hardware and available dimensions I'd swear you could just by item #3 and it would work with all the other existing parts.

Incidentally, funny seeing someone from Leesburg. My wife is originally from Carthage and we've both got family in the Leesburg/Pelahatchie. Small world....

/ Bent stabilizer. Convert to ball bushing stabilizer? #5  
The ball mount might solve some of the problem, but the actually adjustable bars are way under sized.
That is why I am going with the ones on my Mahindra, they are stout.

The ball mount might solve some of the problem, but the actually adjustable bars are way under sized.
That is why I am going with the ones on my Mahindra, they are stout.

Undersized and the fact that it's a piece of flat bar and not a piece of tubing. Flat is not very strong compared to the square tubing on the Mahindra design...

/ Bent stabilizer. Convert to ball bushing stabilizer? #7  
This is what's on the 5030 I wonder if they would fit.

/ Bent stabilizer. Convert to ball bushing stabilizer? #8  
I bent a stabilizer, but it was because I bounced a mower off a stump.

Many people wind up bending this style because they leave too much play in them...once that weight starts moving, something is going to give. Ideally, the side load is split somewhat between both stabilizers, but that requires limiting the play they have in them. If they're too loose, the entire load is placed on one side, and the link moves more (out of position) which makes it even more susceptible to bending.

I beat mine pretty good with a 1,400lb counterweight out back, and didn't have any problems....that tells me the design can't be all that bad. In fact, I ordered a replacement set of stabilizers, but took the bent one, cut out the bend, welded it back together, and it lived another 100+ hours before I sold the tractor....kept the stabilizers taught, and never had a problem. I figured the welded one was going to fail, but it never did.

It's possible I had mine too loose but I thought I had them tight. I know a fella that blacksmiths. Has a power hammer, oil bath, etc etc. Before I buy any parts I'm gonna give him a crack at repairing my bent one....

/ Bent stabilizer. Convert to ball bushing stabilizer? #10  
I keep mine as tight as I can on my implements since I broke the first one.
They are still bent slightly again, but haven't broke again.
Gonna have to make them stronger this winter.