3PTH stabilzer use

/ 3PTH stabilzer use #1  

PatMcD

Silver Member
Tractor
LS U5030
I've looked about everywhere for an answer to this (operator manuals for both tractor and bush hog) but haven't found much of anything.

My tractor, U5030, has stabilizer arms for the 3PT hitch lift arms with holes that can be pined to make it rigid, and long slots to make it have limited motion side to side. When exactly should I use each?

I use the 3PT hitch mostly for bush hogging, a landscape rake, and a logging winch. I have always used the holes to make it more or less rigid. Just don't know why I'd ever want side to side slop in those uses.

/ 3PTH stabilzer use #2  
I've looked about everywhere for an answer to this (operator manuals for both tractor and bush hog) but haven't found much of anything. My tractor, U5030, has stabilizer arms for the 3PT hitch lift arms with holes that can be pined to make it rigid, and long slots to make it have limited motion side to side. When exactly should I use each? I use the 3PT hitch mostly for bush hogging, a landscape rake, and a logging winch. I have always used the holes to make it more or less rigid. Just don't know why I'd ever want side to side slop in those uses.

My opinion- it's gonna be up to the operator on where to set the hitch.. Again my opinion but you really set those arms to keep swaying down when you're bush hogging... To keep it from swaying into your tires.. Wanna keep swaying down to a minimum but it's allowing you the freedom/ease to maneuver when trying to attach implements.. May not be the best answer there but ...

/ 3PTH stabilzer use #3  
I personally like things fairly tight with minimal sway, but like you, have never heard a definite answer. I don't see any application where having more freedom of movement would be desirable, so I usually lock things up tight and don't use the slotted hole unless the others don't line up.

/ 3PTH stabilzer use #4  
I agree with the above statements. You want it snug, not necessarily balls tight. I also use a slotted hole if the thru holes don't match up.

Good luck!

CT

/ 3PTH stabilzer use #5  
I was told to use the slots for brush hog and on some ground engaging attachments.
The reasons given were:
On the brush hog, sideswiping a tree or rock while turning will break $omething $pendy unless there's a little slop, side-to-side.
On the ground engaging you want the subsoiler or whatever to be able to move out of the way a little if you hit an immovable object.
So far, that's worked for me, but I'm interested in the responses you get to this one.

/ 3PTH stabilzer use #6  
I've looked about everywhere for an answer to this (operator manuals for both tractor and bush hog) but haven't found much of anything. My tractor, U5030, has stabilizer arms for the 3PT hitch lift arms with holes that can be pined to make it rigid, and long slots to make it have limited motion side to side. When exactly should I use each? I use the 3PT hitch mostly for bush hogging, a landscape rake, and a logging winch. I have always used the holes to make it more or less rigid. Just don't know why I'd ever want side to side slop in those uses.

On my U5030, all I have are the holes, no slots. Anyway you could post a pic?

/ 3PTH stabilzer use #7  
I left mine fairly loose one time while using my landscape rake and during a slight turn-with it attached to a quick hitch mount-it side shifted and caught my tire and raised the quick hitch up enough to crack my tail light. Side swing was the cause so be really careful.

/ 3PTH stabilzer use
On my U5030, all I have are the holes, no slots. Anyway you could post a pic?

I'll try to before this weekend. Supposed to pour like **** out for the next few days.

/ 3PTH stabilzer use
Here is a pic of the stabilizer
Image 2.jpg
The pin is in the hole to give it a rigid attachment, but a 1/4 turn would enable me to use the slot, which would give the ends of the lift arms maybe 4" of sway.
Image 4.jpg

/ 3PTH stabilzer use #10  
Factory stabilizers? Mine only has 2 holes per arm, no slots. Possibility of making slots out of one of the holes as occasional play may be beneficial.