Canopy Radio speakers

/ Radio speakers #1  

Bluesteel

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT 357HC
I read a couple threads on the cab radio speakers. I agree the sound is not good. I'm planning on replacing them with some better quality speakers. It sounds like the best approach is to take the cab top off. If you have replaced yours can you expand on how you went about it and if there is anything you would do differently or anything to be aware of. Is the cab top easy to remove and does this get you into the speaker location?

/ Radio speakers #2  
Well It is simple process. You don't have to open the top up for that. But...The only catch is you will have to hold pressure on the screw because the put a nut on the top side. With a cordless drill and a screw driver I got mine out without having to open the roof. Just make sure that your new speakers have the little clips that will slid into place before you begin. I don't know how in the world you would get the little nuts back on the top side even with the rood open. Its a tight fit to where some of them would go. I opened the top when I put my radio in but I didnt when I changed my speakers. I still wasnt super excited about the new ones. They are only 4" speakers. I saw where someone put 5" speakers in. I want to try that.

/ Radio speakers
I know what you're saying about the nut on the backside. I was going to take the speaker grill off to see what things looked like and the first screw I tried backing out I realized there had to be a nut on it. It did tighten back up. What type speakers did you install? I read where someone installed Kenwood 3 ways. When you opened your cab for the radio was it easy to do?

/ Radio speakers #4  
I put some Pioneer Speakers that I already had but I would like to do something different. It sounded a little better. Not alot of room in the cab to mount speakers. I was looking into it for a bit but then just forgot about it. The roof is easy to open up. Two bolts at the front and one on each site right about where the cabin filter is at. Mine had little covers over the bolts. once you remove those The front will raise up and I propped mine up with a small hammer. I think there is a rod in there but it is zipped tied to some A/C stuff so I left it alone. I actually took the whole Roof off. Went to Lowes and got some of the sticky back duck work insulation to put on the roof top. I think it helped out with the A/C. Keep it a little cooler in the cab.

/ Radio speakers
Thanks gphil. Good idea with the insulation.

/ Radio speakers #6  
Yea I cant take credit for the insulation. I seen it on here somewhere. Thought it was a good idea. Alot of neat Ideas and smart folks on this site.

/ Radio speakers #7  
I haven't worked on my speaker upgrade on my P7010C as of yet. I do plan to try 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" speakers. I know this may be a challenge. I also need to open the roof up to see if there is room for a TuneTrapper antenna. I broke my OEM antenna in the first week.

Tune Trapper Hidden AM FM Marine Boat Radio Antenna

CT

/ Radio speakers #8  
Anything you can do to get a bigger speaker in there will help tons. I used to work in a car audio shop, you just can't get a lot out of a 4" speaker.

/ Radio speakers #9  
I have put a 5.25 in my 4046HC

/ Radio speakers
I stayed with 4 inch after market speakers. I went with Kickers. I measured some 5 1/4" but the grills were much larger and I didn't think they would fit down in the recessed area of the headliner. The holes in the new speakers line up the same. I cut off the factory connectors and soldered and shrink tubed the new ends on. Those speakers are great. Not much bass obviously with that small of speaker but they are very clear and do not distort like others. I'm going to put the machine screws and washers and nuts back on. I didn't like the screws and clips they supplied with the new speakers.

My question is I took the front and middle nuts and washers off the top of the canopy so I can get in there to work. The top still feels solid. Am I missing something here? Are there more bolts that need undone? I didn't want to pull on the top too forcefully for fear I would crack it. What do I need to do?
Thanks.