Plumbing for a grapple

/ Plumbing for a grapple #1  

PatMcD

Silver Member
Tractor
LS U5030
Thinking about getting a grapple. Any reason not to use my up-to-now unused rear remotes?
Hose and fittings from NAPA and some way to run the lines down the loader?

I've got a spare 8' snowplow blade that I want to hook up also, so need hydro out the end for 2 things.

Never used those rear remotes, so want to make sure they will work the way I want them. They are two-way, spring loaded back to neutral. I want to go grab something with maybe a lot of pressure or a little by using that remote lever in one direction; when it springs back to neutral, will the pressure stay on the grapple until I push the lever the other way?

/ Plumbing for a grapple #2  
Go for it, it's done all the time. FYI you only need to use 1/4" hose, it's cheaper and easier to route all the way to the front.

Unless the valve leaks off, the pressure will stay on the grapple just like you FEL works.

/ Plumbing for a grapple #3  
I would go to Surplus Center for hoses;I found NAPA to be outrageously expensive;like ten times more expensive.

/ Plumbing for a grapple
I asked the grapple maker today and he said "1/2" hose, well maybe you could downsize to 3/8"". It's coming Tuesday, so I'll have a few days to work on my parts list (after plowing out from however many feet we get this weekend).

What size are the fittings on the rear of my tractor? Can you tell I don't know much about hydraulics?
If I order from surplus center or any other online place, will they send me hose of the correct length with threaded ends?

I figure I'll run a rope around how I want it to get the length, make up some sort of hard mount for the fittings at the end of the loader arms.

EDIT: I just went to surplus's website and everything looks pretty self-explanatory

/ Plumbing for a grapple #6  
The rear remotes take 1/2" AG fittings, and I think you would be fine with 3/8" hose, works fine for me.

/ Plumbing for a grapple #7  
3/8"hose will be fine,you will need to match your rear connections and purchase two sets of matching for the front.Mine is set-up with a male and a female on the tractor and a male and female on my plow and grapple.
There are check valves in both the male/female.

/ Plumbing for a grapple #8  
1/2" hose is just ridiculous, 3/8" is fine if you want to spend some more money but again its just not needed. The small 2x8 cylinders used on most grapples, and 1-1/2x10 cylinders on snowplows hardly use any fluid at all to operate.

/ Plumbing for a grapple #10  
Do you have to fill the hoses with fluid? How do you bleed the system?