Purchasing new LS XR4040HC or XR4046HC: room to negotiate on price?

/ Purchasing new LS XR4040HC or XR4046HC: room to negotiate on price? #1  

chrisclark

Tractor
LS XR4046HC
Is it customary to negotiate the price of a new tractor (like purchasing a car) or are dealer prices generally firm?

My wife and I are on the cusp of purchasing our first tractor: a new LS XR4040HC or XR4046HC, including the loader. In once sense, it feels a bit like buying a car, but I haven't been able to determine the MSRP or dealer invoice for these tractors or much information about fair pricing at all. Where can I find this sort of information for tractors?

The dealer we've been working with sells a package of 5 implements (3PH post hole digger, 60" mower, pallet forks, 3-tine bale spear, 6' rear blade with angle and tilt but no offset) with most of his tractors. The price we were quoted for the package is $36,675 for the XR4040HC and $38,675 for the XR4046HC. The dealer gets the attachments from Beaver Valley Supply, which posts prices on their web site, so with a couple of guesses at exact implement models, I came up with a package price of just under $4,000, making that quote equivalent to roughly $32,675 for the XR4040HC + loader or $34,675 for the XR4046HC + loader. That's quite a bit higher than other XR4046HC prices I've seen in this forum: @Bluesteel, @snowbelt geauga, @MrFoully, and @rlgustafson all reported quotes in the $27,500-29,000 range. I don't know if that included the loader, but it looks like I should have considerable room to negotiate. Does this seem reasonable or am I missing something?

Are implement prices generally negotiable or firm?

Would it be a better strategy to agree on tractor + loader price and then add in implements?

We're going to make adjustments to the implements (e.g., swapping the post hole digger for filling the rear tires with Rim Guard ballast), but that's probably out of scope for this thread.

Thanks,
Chris

/ Purchasing new LS XR4040HC or XR4046HC: room to negotiate on price? #2  
Yes -- everything is negotiable BEFORE you sign on the dotted line and, at those prices, I'd seek a better deal too. For perspective, that looks more like cab pricing on a XU5055 and XU5065... or close to a similar class green, red, or orange brand tractor. My best quote on a XR4046HC (with loader, no implements) was right in the ballpark others have mentioned. I received a lot of free advice before buying, and one of them was to buy the implements separately unless the manufacturer or dealer is giving bonus cash... Mahindra does this a lot. If you don't need all (or new) implements the "package" deal probably isn't saving you money.

Either way, welcome to TBN and your first tractor! FWIW, was right where you are about 12 mo. ago, and ended up with the XU for the higher capacity loader, Cat 2 3PH, and PTO HP that provide numerous more implement options. I liked the idea of the hydrostat transmission, but the power shuttle has been easy to learn and (only from what I hear, no personal experience) may be a little more durable if doing a lot of ground engaging work or more suitable for constant speed work such as hay baling.

/ Purchasing new LS XR4040HC or XR4046HC: room to negotiate on price? #3  
Absolutely Negotiate. I drove 200 miles to save $3000.00 on a $15000.00 tractor. Also, sometimes its better to get attachment prices separate. This gives you a better idea of prices.

/ Purchasing new LS XR4040HC or XR4046HC: room to negotiate on price? #4  
Dealers have room to move. As I stated in another post I drove a few hours when I bought mine (with FEL) but saved over $3000 compared to my local dealer. That will buy a lot of attachments. As far as attachments go I would s say there is not a lot of room to move on them. Some but not much. I think the price you came up with on the tractor by itself is high, very high IMO. Not familiar with the brand of implements so I really can't comment on that without researching how they are built, reviews, etc. I'm sure there are different pricing the dealers themselves put on the tractors for different reasons and possibly geographical area, but keep in mind they are all the same tractor no matter where they're located.

You'll get the best info here by far. You came to the right place. As most on here will tell you owning an LS is one of the best investments you'll make. Welcome to the site.

/ Purchasing new LS XR4040HC or XR4046HC: room to negotiate on price? #5  
My local LS dealer has a XR4046HC advertised on Craigslist (SW Michigan) for $28,500.00.

I'm very happy with my LS.

/ Purchasing new LS XR4040HC or XR4046HC: room to negotiate on price? #6  
My local LS dealer has a XR4046HC advertised on Craigslist (SW Michigan) for $28,500.00.

I'm very happy with my LS.

That price is in the ballpark.

/ Purchasing new LS XR4040HC or XR4046HC: room to negotiate on price?
Thanks. Would you expect any trouble getting maintenance and service from our local LS dealership (75 miles away) if we purchased the tractor from another dealership (the next 2 closest are 225 and 300 miles away)?

/ Purchasing new LS XR4040HC or XR4046HC: room to negotiate on price? #8  
I think there was another thread that talked about this. There were some on here stating their local dealer said they wouldn't work on a tractor that wasn't bought from them. Some it didn't matter. One may question the speed and overall quality of repairs or service being done at a dealer where it wasn't purchased. If the purchase only involved a small amount of money I would stay local if you local dealer was reputable, decent mechanic/shop, etc. Otherwise to me it wouldn't matter much on the distance you described to save thousands. To some it would. I would check references on dealers, shop area and so forth.

/ Purchasing new LS XR4040HC or XR4046HC: room to negotiate on price? #9  
I drove past two other closer LS Dealers to Buy from RCO Tractors in Austin. Exactly 100 miles each way. Price is important but, IMHO, dealer service and reputation has a big value as well. I am very pleased with the deal I made with RCO. They like most dealers offer package deal on tractor and a few implements but the. Offered implements are toward the low end which may be all most hobby landowners might need. Not judging here.

I chose to add higher end implements to go with my LS XR4046HC with included FEL (standard). Added a Woods GSM84P rear grader w/ scarifiers and a Woods BB72X rotary cutter.

image-1538786237.jpg

image-1934424156.jpg

Also added the Delta Hook QA to the 3-point hitch. Makes implement change quick and easy. The only time you have to get off tractor is to hookup or unhook PTO shaft.

image-275845909.jpg

Installed a Piranha Tooth Blade on the bucket also.

image-1500962003.jpg

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Purchasing new LS XR4040HC or XR4046HC: room to negotiate on price?
Offered implements are toward the low end which may be all most hobby landowners might need. Not judging here.

I came to the exact same conclusion.

I chose to add higher end implements to go with my LS XR4046HC with included FEL (standard). Added a Woods GSM84P rear grader w/ scarifiers and a Woods BB72X rotary cutter.

The Woods BB72X is definitely on my list to consider. Our dealer has a number of Kodiak rotary cutters in stock, and we could upgrade to the 72" Kodiak, but I've heard good things about Woods and I figure we can save in the long run by buying something sturdy now. There are a couple of Woods dealers in the area.

I've just added the Woods GSM84P to my wish list. I'd considered getting both a box blade and a land plane for maintaining our driveway and helping maintain our road (private road with 4 homes). While a land plane looks like the perfect tool for maintaining an established road, I hadn't seen any with scarifiers, which I think I'd need to deal with potholes or cut a new driveway. The GSM84P looks like it would handle almost all of our road maintenance needs. I'd probably use the straight rear blade for snow and maintaining the ditch.

Thanks!
Chris