Newbie trying to pick the right LS for our needs

/ Newbie trying to pick the right LS for our needs #1  

danisiri

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060HDC12
I am new to farming, ranching, and tractors. I have 70 acres of mostly flat and clear land, with sandy and clay soil. I have settled on a 4x4 LS tractor with a cab, I am just not certain which one to get.

The tasks we will need to do are:

- dirt/gravel road maintenance
- post hole digging
- excavating/reinforcing ponds
- tilling/plowing for crops
- shredding
- cutting/baling hay (round preferred)

I can hire out the hay baling to someone, but if I am buying a tractor, I might as well do it myself and keep the toys.

Price is not an issue. I am looking for the best value. At minimum, I am looking at the 4046HC and the upper limit is the 7040. I don't know how much of a difference there is between a syncro shuttle and a power shuttle, so maybe someone has some advice for me on that? I can drive a manual transmission just fine, but just never done it on a tractor.

Thanks all!

/ Newbie trying to pick the right LS for our needs #2  
if your going to pull a round baler get the 7040. you need the weight more than the hp.I would not want less 60 pto hp

/ Newbie trying to pick the right LS for our needs
My main concern with the big tractors is that they may not be that maneuverable. So road smoothing and fine/finish work means a shovel and wheelbarrow, lol. Or maybe I need a big tractor and something smaller too...like a skid steer or compact tractor. Though, it is hard enough to get the wife to agree to one tractor, nonetheless to two.

I also don't have a big enough truck to pull a trailer with the 7040 and implements. So while I can have it delivered, if I have to take it somewhere far, I have to pay someone to move it for me.

/ Newbie trying to pick the right LS for our needs #4  
My main concern with the big tractors is that they may not be that maneuverable. So road smoothing and fine/finish work means a shovel and wheelbarrow, lol. Or maybe I need a big tractor and something smaller too...like a skid steer or compact tractor. Though, it is hard enough to get the wife to agree to one tractor, nonetheless to two.

I also don't have a big enough truck to pull a trailer with the 7040 and implements. So while I can have it delivered, if I have to take it somewhere far, I have to pay someone to move it for me.

So what is your truck and trailer rated to tow. The XR4046HC w/ loader weighs around 5500 plus any implements. A half ton can haul that. The P7040CPS w / loader is over 9100. Big difference between the two tractors.

I have a 5.7L Tundra 4x4. It can pull 10,000lbs.

/ Newbie trying to pick the right LS for our needs #6  
Is your truck going to limit the size tractor you buy or is it not a problem to have someone haul a larger tractor occasionally.
My 1/2T truck is rated for 9800. I have 2 trailers rated for 14K but would also need a bigger truck if I needed to haul either trailer at its max capacity. I haven't had a need yet but I'm keeping my eyes open for something used that can haul 14K.
Your 1/2T and trailer are going to limit you to something like an XU5055C w/ loader or XU5065CPS w/ loader. Anything larger would be too much for the truck.

/ Newbie trying to pick the right LS for our needs #7  
for the 70 acres I would say get the 7040 if you can. Or at least step up from the 4046 to a 55 or 60 hp model. You can never have to much tractor......

/ Newbie trying to pick the right LS for our needs #8  
I am new to farming, ranching, and tractors. I have 70 acres of mostly flat and clear land, with sandy and clay soil. I have settled on a 4x4 LS tractor with a cab, I am just not certain which one to get.

The tasks we will need to do are:

- dirt/gravel road maintenance
- post hole digging
- excavating/reinforcing ponds
- tilling/plowing for crops
- shredding
- cutting/baling hay (round preferred)

I can hire out the hay baling to someone, but if I am buying a tractor, I might as well do it myself and keep the toys.

Price is not an issue. I am looking for the best value. At minimum, I am looking at the 4046HC and the upper limit is the 7040. I don't know how much of a difference there is between a syncro shuttle and a power shuttle, so maybe someone has some advice for me on that? I can drive a manual transmission just fine, but just never done it on a tractor.

Thanks all!

I have the 88 hp version, the P7030 with the power shuttle. They still list it on the LS website but don't think they have any more in stock. With the power shuttle, you don't need to use the clutch when going from forward to reverse or back. On the 7030 and 7040 you also have push a hydraulic/electronic hi/lo that allows you to go up or down a gear with the push of a button. It's a great feature that you will use all the time.

I maintain a 1/4 mile gravel drive in winter and summer and have 35 acres of tillable and 42 acres of woods to maintain. The tractor seemed large at first but has gotten smaller over time. I run a snowplow, land plane, box blade and landscape rake on the drive and it's not too big. I have a 7 shank chisel plow and transport disc that it pulls great, plus many more attachments.

It would be a lot of tractor for a persons first tractor but I don't feel it is too big for your needs. Good luck in your search!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

P
I have the 88 hp version, the P7030 with the power shuttle. They still list it on the LS website but don't think they have any more in stock. With the power shuttle, you don't need to use the clutch when going from forward to reverse or back. On the 7030 and 7040 you also have push a hydraulic/electronic hi/lo that allows you to go up or down a gear with the push of a button. It's a great feature that you will use all the time.

I maintain a 1/4 mile gravel drive in winter and summer and have 35 acres of tillable and 42 acres of woods to maintain. The tractor seemed large at first but has gotten smaller over time. I run a snowplow, land plane, box blade and landscape rake on the drive and it's not too big. I have a 7 shank chisel plow and transport disc that it pulls great, plus many more attachments.

It would be a lot of tractor for a persons first tractor but I don't feel it is too big for your needs. Good luck in your searchow!

Thank you for the great info!

/ Newbie trying to pick the right LS for our needs #10  
I don't know how you have chosen LS over all others but if your settled on them it just comes down to required features to do the work you have for it to do. Be sure to get enough horsepower and weight to run the largest equipment you need to run and haul any loaded wagon up hill and down with complete safety.
Excavating for ponds might be best done by an excavator so should not push you to the wrong model.
It might come down to how many of your seventy acres you need to till and plant and how big a tractor you need to accomplish that in a timely manner.
From what youv'e said a LS p7030 should do nicely.