40HP LS Tractor Model Lineup = Confusion.

/ 40HP LS Tractor Model Lineup = Confusion. #1  

CenTex Chris

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 Kioti CK35 HST and 1947 Ford 2N
Howdy from Texas,

Guess I'm too lazy to figure this out on my own. Can somebody who knows *please* explain to me the differences between these three 40hp HST-equipped tractor LS models:

R4041 -- R4041H « LS Tractor USA

XR4040 -- XR4040H « LS Tractor USA

XR4140 -- XR4140H « LS Tractor USA

I understand the XR4040 has a Shibaura 4 cyl. 135 cu, in. engine and the R4041 has a Mitsubishi 4 cyl. 153 cu. in. engine. I'm not sure which engine is in the XR4140 but it appears to be a 3 cyl. 115 cu. in., significantly smaller displacement but equal to or better than the other two in power output.

A lot of other specs between these three are identical (tire size) or nearly so (hitch lift capacity) but some specs are completely different (fuel tank capacity). Also, the XR4040H weighs more than 4300 lbs. while the other two are between 3800 lbs. and 3900 lbs. And the XR4040H has less PTO horsepower than the other two, but not by very much (30.8 vs. 33 and 32).

So I guess I'm asking, what are the specific differences between the XR4000 line and the XR4100 line?

Also, I'm not clear as to the general differences between the R and XR categories. Thanks in advance for whatever light you can shed,

Last edited:
   / 40HP LS Tractor Model Lineup = Confusion. #2  
I'm sure someone can give a better detailed comparison but basically the XR4100 series is the replacement for the XR4000. It uses LS's new in house built engine instead of the Shibaura. XR series is the "luxury" model compared to the R.

/ 40HP LS Tractor Model Lineup = Confusion. #3  
The R was the Tier iii. No longer available. 4040 will be phased out and replaced by 4140. 4140 will regen about every 50 hrs vs every 4 for the 4040. Your displacement and output observations were correct.

/ 40HP LS Tractor Model Lineup = Confusion. #4  
Howdy from Texas,

Guess I'm too lazy to figure this out on my own. Can somebody who knows *please* explain to me the differences between these three 40hp HST-equipped tractor LS models:

R4041 -- R4041H « LS Tractor USA

XR4040 -- XR4040H « LS Tractor USA

XR4140 -- XR4140H « LS Tractor USA

I understand the XR4040 has a Shibaura 4 cyl. 135 cu, in. engine and the R4041 has a Mitsubishi 4 cyl. 153 cu. in. engine. I'm not sure which engine is in the XR4140 but it appears to be a 3 cyl. 115 cu. in., significantly smaller displacement but equal to or better than the other two in power output.

A lot of other specs between these three are identical (tire size) or nearly so (hitch lift capacity) but some specs are completely different (fuel tank capacity). Also, the XR4040H weighs more than 4300 lbs. while the other two are between 3800 lbs. and 3900 lbs. And the XR4040H has less PTO horsepower than the other two, but not by very much (30.8 vs. 33 and 32).

So I guess I'm asking, what are the specific differences between the XR4000 line and the XR4100 line?

Also, I'm not clear as to the general differences between the R and XR categories. Thanks in advance for whatever light you can shed,

The spec sheets from both models lines also list different wheelbases as well as overall length.. The 4100 is longer. One other thing I noticed about the 4100 line is it offers a cat 2 hitch with the 55hp model but has no different frame dimensions. I would love to eyeball the 2 you mention side by side...

/ 40HP LS Tractor Model Lineup = Confusion. #5  
I'm sure someone can give a better detailed comparison but basically the XR4100 series is the replacement for the XR4000. It uses LS's new in house built engine instead of the Shibaura. XR series is the "luxury" model compared to the R.

I think you meant the R and XR are luxury models compared to the G series. R and XR offered pretty equal features with some slight changes but mainly the X was just to signify the new lineups with Tier 4 engines.

The new XR41 and XR31 series are to signify the change to the LS produced engines. This again will probably come with some subtle changes such as the wheel base change that is probably just needed to fit the engine packaging.

/ 40HP LS Tractor Model Lineup = Confusion. #6  
I think you meant the R and XR are luxury models compared to the G series. R and XR offered pretty equal features with some slight changes but mainly the X was just to signify the new lineups with Tier 4 engines.

The new XR41 and XR31 series are to signify the change to the LS produced engines. This again will probably come with some subtle changes such as the wheel base change that is probably just needed to fit the engine packaging.

Your right I was thinking about the G series.

I did see the XR3135HC at the Louisville farm show and could see no difference with XR3037HC. Other than about 3 inches longer and about 1 inch taller no other difference other than engines.

/ 40HP LS Tractor Model Lineup = Confusion.
Thanks everybody for your input. I'm a lot less confused now.

4140 will regen about every 50 hrs vs every 4 for the 4040.

Please, to explain "regen." I have seen it in a few thread titles in this forum but I have no idea what the term means or refers to.

Thanks in advance,

Wait. Is it this?

Why New Diesel Engines Aren't Compatible With B100

"To get rid of particulate matter, the diesel manufacturers came up with what's called a DPF (diesel particulate filter). But this catalytic filter becomes poisoned if sulfur dioxide is pumped through it. So as of 2007, the standard for diesel fuel was revamped as well, and fuel refineries had to reduce sulfur content to no more than 15 parts per million (now known as ultralow-sulfur diesel). The DPF is placed in the exhaust system in front of the muffler and looks like a catalytic converter used on gasoline engines. It captures particulate matter in its inner core. Periodically, the DPF has to be taken up to high temperatures to burn off the matter it has collected. This is called regeneration or postinjection regeneration. The idea is to inject fuel into the exhaust that has been vaporized, and when the fuel comes into contact with the DPF, an exothermic reaction heats it up and incinerates the plug of soot."

/ 40HP LS Tractor Model Lineup = Confusion. #9  
Thanks everybody for your input. I'm a lot less confused now. Please, to explain "regen." I have seen it in a few thread titles in this forum but I have no idea what the term means or refers to. Thanks in advance,

Regeneration (regen) is when the diesel particulate filter (DPF) collects almost all the black soot that a Diesel engine produces. As it collects this spot it restricts exhaust flow. After the restriction is at a point determined by the engineers. The most manufacturers decided to add an injection of diesel right after the combustion. This diesel vaporizes and goes to the DPF where it is burned and burns up all the soot. A little ash is left over after every regen.

Good to know. Thanks Btown.