Quick FEL question - Teeth or no teeth?

/ Quick FEL question - Teeth or no teeth? #1  

jct-mo

Tractor
Mahindra 2816
And how much are they to be added to the bucket? Never had a loader before, so all opinions appreciated.

JT

/ Quick FEL question - Teeth or no teeth? #2  
I considered teeth as well but was advised against it on a small tractor. I was told that it encouraged doing a bit too much for the tractor to handle. I'm not sure whether that is correct or not, but I figured I could add the teeth later if I found that I really needed them. I haven't had my tractor long enough yet to see if I really need teeth, but it's done all I've asked it to do.

/ Quick FEL question - Teeth or no teeth? #3  
If you unerstand your tractors limitations I would consider them almost as important as the loader itself. It boggles my mind how effective they are for digging.

Just tonight I was diggin out back and had to "pop" some sandstone out. I used a tooth to get under the rocks and slowly curled while backing out and they came out with no problem.

Another advantage is that when carrying logs or anything wider than the bucket you can use the teeth for the item to rest on. Since the teeth stick out past the edges of the bucket you can wider items on there, just roll the bucket back.

/ Quick FEL question - Teeth or no teeth? #4  
I consider that my bolt on tooth bar increased the usefulness and capability of my FEL bucket by at least 100%.

A toothbar, IMHO, is one of the single most cost effective items available for a tractor, once it has a FEL/bucket.

Reasons:
larger load
hang chains on teeth, pick up stuff
keep edge straight
dig MUCH easier into a pile of material
put teeth under stuff, chain it to bucket, lift and go, reduces sliding off
lots of other uses...

/ Quick FEL question - Teeth or no teeth?
Thanks for the input guys. Any idea what a dealer will typically charge on a new tractor purchase to add the tooth bar?

/ Quick FEL question - Teeth or no teeth? #6  
jct-mo:

Welcome to TBN :D! You should consider a bolt on toothbar for your bucket. Drill two holes in the bucket's sidewalls and you are ready to mount the toothbar. Easy on-easy off. A toothbar really improves the digging efficiency of the FEL. There are several after market toothbar manufacturers out there. Markham appears very popular here at TBN. Jay

/ Quick FEL question - Teeth or no teeth? #7  

"A toothbar, IMHO, is one of the single most cost effective items available for a tractor, once it has a FEL/bucket."

Is absolutely true. You'd be crazy not to get a bolt on tooth bar. Great bang for the buck.

To my mind, Tractors should be sold with FELs and toothbars - the option should be to have them removed. They add so much to the utility of the tractor its like an entirely different machine. I think most people would be nuts not to get them.

/ Quick FEL question - Teeth or no teeth? #8  
Cost of toothbar varies by size and weight (pounds).. ballpark is $350...
You can install yourself if you are tool handy. Numerous posts on TBN discuss how people did it, with photos. This is a good opportunity for you to try the TBN search engine.

Drill holes in side of bucket, insert bolts, tighten. Hopefully you could see one installed...easy to understand once you see it. My John Deer toothbar is probably the heaviest I have heard about... 136lbs ... I had to use some washers as shims to close the .5 inch gap between the toothbar tabs and the bucket sides.

Get one, you won't be sorry.

Again folks, thanks for the advice. I've taken it. I am handy with tools, but unfortunately short on time, so had the dealer install the tooth bar. They are delivering the tractor tomorrow. I am so glad to be getting rid of the old AC, and getting something where everything will work. There are so many tasks that have been put off because I didn't have the loader, I'll even have less time. :) I'll get some pics posted as soon as I can.

Well folks, got the tractor delivered. Don't want to get it muddy, but know that will happen soon enough. Here's a couple of pictures. Really like it, and glad to be rid of the old beast.

Attachments

• DSC01766.JPG
    DSC01766.JPG
    873.7 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC01767.JPG
    DSC01767.JPG
    848.2 KB · Views: 386
  • DSC01768.JPG
    DSC01768.JPG
    846 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC01769.JPG
    DSC01769.JPG