Tractor for moving round bales?

/ Tractor for moving round bales? #1  

tower59

I just got a small farm (30 acres) and was about to buy a Mahindra this weekend, when I stumbled on the possible need to add hay moving to my list of needed chores of this tractor. I must have the tractor for doing some dirt moving and digging, driveway work, hauling things in a wagon, and some shredding. I'm working with a hay baler who will likely agree to bale hay for me on my land for a fee, but I'll have to sell it myself- which means I'll need to have the ability to move it around the farm, into a barn, etc. I had decided on an 2615 4WD with front end loader. But, if I have to move round bales around, what is the minimum Mahindra tractor I need? What sort of implement would I use to move these bales? I won't have to lift them into a feeder or anything, and I'd prefer not to have to remove the FEL all the way if that's possible. Thanks!!!

/ Tractor for moving round bales? #2  
I have a customer who does move round bales with his 2615 and ML106 loader. (The bales are under 1000 lbs) He is accomplishing it but I really feel he is overdoing what the tractor was designed for and one of these days I expect to find out he has tipped the tractor over. I would move up to a 3510 for moving round bales safely. That is my opinion.

/ Tractor for moving round bales? #3  
You don't say what your terrain is like or how big the round bales are, but my neighbor round-baled for me when we first moved here and they were the biggest bales you can get out of the biggest JD baler -- nominally 5x5 but the diameter was closer to 6' than 5'. They weighed about 1500 lbs and lifting them was not a problem, but to be stable on my hills I should have had a spear on the 3PH and put a bale on there first. As it was (and this was before I fluid filled all four tires) I had a 6500 on three wheels twice -- and wore a nice little hole in the middle of the seat. A smaller tractor will handle round bales -- but you need tractor weight on hills.

/ Tractor for moving round bales? #4  
If your ground is flat(and not extremely muddy during the winter), the bales are not larger than 4x5's(800 or 900 lbs), you keep the FEL on for weight and use a rear spike to move the hay,(especially if you are not using it often) I would say that you could get away with a tractor that size. I personally would not try and put one on the FEL or use the FEL to lift bales off of a tall trailer. This is smaller than my comfort zone for regular use moving a lot of round bales, but I know people who move a few with tractors this size.

/ Tractor for moving round bales? #5  
If you are selling the hay also take into consideration the height to which you must lift the bales to get them on the customers equipment.:D :D :D

/ Tractor for moving round bales? #6  
tower59 said:
I just got a small farm (30 acres) and was about to buy a Mahindra this weekend, when I stumbled on the possible need to add hay moving to my list of needed chores of this tractor. I must have the tractor for doing some dirt moving and digging, driveway work, hauling things in a wagon, and some shredding. I'm working with a hay baler who will likely agree to bale hay for me on my land for a fee, but I'll have to sell it myself- which means I'll need to have the ability to move it around the farm, into a barn, etc. I had decided on an 2615 4WD with front end loader. But, if I have to move round bales around, what is the minimum Mahindra tractor I need? What sort of implement would I use to move these bales? I won't have to lift them into a feeder or anything, and I'd prefer not to have to remove the FEL all the way if that's possible. Thanks!!!

I have a new Mahindra 5525 2WD with the ML250 FEL (2900 lb lift capacity at the bucket pivots). I would feel comfortable lifting 1500 lb bales to full height with ballast on the 3pt provided I were on level ground. I don't expect to do that since my MF-124 baler produces small square bales 50-60 lb each (I have 10 acres with 7 acres available for haying). I'll used a bale accumulator and grapple that attaches to the FEL skid steer adapter to handle 8-10 bales at a time. I bought the 5525 mainly to handle the plowing and discing chores, but the FEL makes it a handy way to round up and stack bales.

/ Tractor for moving round bales? #7  
LAWALLSTRACTOR said:
I have a customer who does move round bales with his 2615 and ML106 loader. (The bales are under 1000 lbs) He is accomplishing it but I really feel he is overdoing what the tractor was designed for and one of these days I expect to find out he has tipped the tractor over. I would move up to a 3510 for moving round bales safely. That is my opinion.

Sure glad I did not read that...;) :rolleyes:

/ Tractor for moving round bales? #8  
We really need to know the size of the bales. I have a 5005 w/ a BushHog loader on it and it strains around w/ 5x6 (~1600lbs) rolls. Also putting the top layer on the goosneck requires some finesse.
Personally, if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't get anything less than ~65hp for this chore. Weight is an issue, but reach height is also a factor. When I put the top layer on my gooseneck trailer, if I am not on super level ground I end up w/ the loader at maximum height. I like a little wiggle room on stuff like that. ALso, I HAVE to have a bale on back for ballast. And this is with the rear tires loaded.
So, you will need a large enough tractor depending on the weight of the bales and the heights to which you need to lift them. A 3pt spear for the back of the tractor and a spear attachment for the loader.