Bigger Mahindra's and Mowing

/ Bigger Mahindra's and Mowing #1  

tctractor

Hi,

I'm considering replacing my older underpowered tractor (8n) with a new Mahindra or another brand. I have quite a few existing 3pt 60" implements that I'd like to reuse if possible. I currently finish mow about 2.5 acres with a rear mount finish mower and have about 9 flat acres that I use a rotary cutter on.

Since I'm used to 2wd and have these implements but just need more power (> 25 HP) and a loader, I've been considering the 3525, 4025 and 5525. I'm sure I can get by without HST, but I've also looked at the 10 series and 15 series, but I don't like the prices as much. Are these 25 series too heavy for finish mowing? I know the 5525 is quite large, but has wider tires than the other two. I occasionally plow/disc just to keep part of the field in order, but I don't currently make hay/bail.

Any thoughts are welcome! :eek:

/ Bigger Mahindra's and Mowing #2  
tctractor said:
Hi,

I'm considering replacing my older underpowered tractor (8n) with a new Mahindra or another brand. I have quite a few existing 3pt 60" implements that I'd like to reuse if possible. I currently finish mow about 2.5 acres with a rear mount finish mower and have about 9 flat acres that I use a rotary cutter on.

Since I'm used to 2wd and have these implements but just need more power (> 25 HP) and a loader, I've been considering the 3525, 4025 and 5525. I'm sure I can get by without HST, but I've also looked at the 10 series and 15 series, but I don't like the prices as much. Are these 25 series too heavy for finish mowing? I know the 5525 is quite large, but has wider tires than the other two. I occasionally plow/disc just to keep part of the field in order, but I don't currently make hay/bail.

Any thoughts are welcome! :eek:

I bought a Mahindra 5525 with the ML250 FEL last March along with a 6-ft Hawkline rotary mower (brush hog). No problem. The 5525 handles it easily. I plan to use the 5525 for haying. It will pull my 2-14 plows (a JD 415 3pt hitch plow and an IH #8 Little Genius trailer type plow) and my MF-124 baler with no problem.

Don't know about the 5525 and finish mowers. Never owned one of those. I assume you're concerned that the 5525 with ag tires would chew up your lawn areas.

/ Bigger Mahindra's and Mowing #3  
If you have a 60" finishing mower I'm afraid that wouldn't cover your tracks on the 5525.

I'd recommend the 3525/4025 w/ Industrial tires going on the info you've given us. Ag tires would possibly cut up the area you are finish mowing especially if you cut to turn too sharp.

BUT if I were to pick any model out of the Mahindra lineup that would best suite your needs I would go with the 2816.

/ Bigger Mahindra's and Mowing
Thanks for the replies so far. Yeah I know the 60" mower won't cover my tracks pretty much at all with a 25 series tractor, but I'm not against procuring a bigger deck in the future!

RedRiver, I guess I'd be concerned that my 60" Hog that bogs down now with 21 PTO HP (well maybe 21, the tractor its 55 years old) would still have issues with the 2816's 23 PTO HP as well. I cut some fairly dense pasture grass that often causes me issues. I do like the weight of the 2816 however at 2315 lbs. vs my current 2700 lbs. I can say that without power steering I don't do too much damage 90% of the time in my yard with ag tires, but I would think the combination of more weight with a 25 series tractor and power steering could cause me problems. Maybe I should consider a riding lawn mower for the yard instead? I'd like 1 tractor to do it all but sometimes that isn't possible.

/ Bigger Mahindra's and Mowing #5  
the loader would add an additional 700# so you'd be looking at right around 3000# 2816 w/ loader

If you are cutting some thick stuff it indeed might be too much for the 2816.

/ Bigger Mahindra's and Mowing #6  
First let me welcome u to the forum. I have a 3525 with FEL with ag tires on it. Working around my yard it will only tear up grass if you have to turn sharp. But i think it would be better with industrial tires on it. I have been thinking about putting industrial on the front and leaving ags on the rear. I think that will help with the FEL to as the ind. should be a little wider than the ags so they would stand up better in soft groun with a load in the bucket.

/ Bigger Mahindra's and Mowing #7  
Just weighing in as an observer, but I think a 33/3525 will work for you. They are designed to handle 8n/9n/NAA types of jobs with as little fuss as possible. They will weigh more but a little care will allay that problem. They're still big enough to handle a little discing and chiseling while being small enough to hook up the finish mower. You might have some marring but if you're careful not very much.

I don't, honestly, think you need to worry about a new $3000 lawn mower when and if you can get a far more useful and powerful Mahindra for not much more than can handle all if not be perfect in each.

Just my $.02's worth.......

/ Bigger Mahindra's and Mowing
Thanks again for all the feedback. I got a chance late this evening to stop by the local dealer. Thanks James for taking the time so late in the day!

I have to say I was impressed by both the 4025 and the 5525. I took the picture below to compare the 2 sizes. Both are really nice machines and I think could easily handle my tasks, although they both are a bit big for some of my equipment.

I was actually expecting them to be fairly different in size to tell you the truth. Besides the 500 pound difference (not including the loader obviously) and the slightly wider tires on the 5525 you really don't see much of a difference. Very nice machines, I can see why you all really like them!

Attachments

• 07-09-08_2004.jpg
    07-09-08_2004.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 498
   / Bigger Mahindra's and Mowing #9  
What's this about a "4025"? Haven't heard of that one before, and it's not on the website.

I replaced (or maybe I should say, "supplemented", since I still have it) my old 8N with a 3525. I absolutely love the 3525... it's a little beast.

I mow my yard with the 3525 and the 6' KingKutter finish mower that I bought 8 years ago when I got my 8N, and I run a 5' Rhino rotary cutter with it as well. The 3525 can't tell that the finish mower is back there at all, and only in the tallest, heaviest stuff will the Rhino make it grunt.

As far as ag tires damaging the lawn, as long as your yard doesn't more closely resemble a rice paddy than a lawn, damage from the ag tires is just a function of operator technique... if you drive fast and make sharp, quick turns, then the front tires are going to dig up some sod. But if you drive at moderate speed, and make more gentle turns, you can minimize the damage from the tires. I mow my yard with my 3525, and you'd be hard pressed to find any noticeable tire damage in my yard anywhere, even in the spring when the ground is soft from the April rains. It's all about operator technique.

I'm still being impressed at what my 3525 can do... It's the little tractor that can. I think a lot of guys on here buy the 5525 out of fear of not buying enough tractor, when really the 3525 would be more than adequate for what they're wanting to do. It's a great little "big" tractor, and a quantum leap forward from the old 8N. I really am pleased with mine, and I'd recommend it in a heartbeat to anyone wanting to replace an old N Series tractor. Like I said, it's a quantum leap forward in performance and ease of use, in a just slightly larger package. It sits taller than the N's, which makes it "feel" a lot bigger, but length-wise, and width-wise, it's pretty close to the same size as an N.

/ Bigger Mahindra's and Mowing #10  
Brian,
The 4025 model is your tractor after the engine modifications for tier3-4 emmissions.