Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit?

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #1  

saskman49

Bronze Member
Tractor
Still Deciding
Well hello all as this is my first post here. I am currently trying to decide on a CUT for our acreage which consists of abt 5 acres of lawn mowing including around our dugout and old train track area, and 10 acres of fields that at some point will be turned into a Saskatoon Berry farm and a garden area that is abt 400 x 200 that I will eventually want to get a set of 5' double 3pt disks and tine harrows as well as a 3pt PTO tiller. We currently use a combination of a Deere X500 Garden tractor with a 54" deck and a 40" 2 stage snowblower and an old White GT that has a 42" tiller and a 36" double disk to do all our chores. It is too time consuming and uses alot of gas to run these two units all year. It takes a full 5gal can of gas just to mow the lawn and that is $40.00 and that is in the new Deere with a 25hp Kawi twin. The old White just drinks the gas and oil too. Oh and then there is the spraying of the fields with roundup to keep the weeds down till we get to the stage of doing the berry thing. I need a very reliable machine that is easy on fuel and able to start at -30 to clear out the yard in the winter. I would like a blower but can't afford one with the initial purchase and would be using the loader to do snow removal for the first year or two. The Mahindra dealer is abt 2 1/2 hrs from here so the reliability becomes very paramount in the decision. So I am looking at the 2415HST as the wife does most of the yard work with a loader and 60" mid mount mower.
What do you all think of that combo for my needs..

Thanks
John

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #2  
Seems to me to be a bit on the small side for what you are describing. if finances are the constraint, perhaps a low hour -late model, used might be something to look for. Do you have dealers closer to you than the mahindra dealer?

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit?
There is a Deere dealer abt 12 miles from me, however the closest Deere the 2320 comes in at over $4000 more that the 2415 and has less PTO hp 20 vs 18, weighs less and cannot lift as much. Also a New Holland dealer but the NH tractors are even more than the Deere ones around here.

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #4  
There is a Deere dealer abt 12 miles from me, however the closest Deere the 2320 comes in at over $4000 more that the 2415 and has less PTO hp 20 vs 18, weighs less and cannot lift as much. Also a New Holland dealer but the NH tractors are even more than the Deere ones around here.
Wow, thats too bad.
The Mahindra 15 series is well liked, judging from posts on this site. I know filters & such can be shipped so, that could work. Dealer prep would be my biggest concern, considering the distance. What is the reputation of the Mahindra dealer. Does he provide references that you can check out? What is his service ability, should a problem come up?

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit?
We are going to find out more on Friday as we are taking a trip up to the dealership and checking things out first hand. He told me for all minor warranty issues he would ship the parts and I could do the repairs and only in the unlikely event of a major failure would it need to come back to the dealer. Seems reasonable to me. This dealership is a family run business and they have been farmers all their life so they seem to understand the requirements of reliability and service... I guess we will see. Also I have checked the 2615HST but it seems a little large for the wife to handle and is abt 2K more, but that is why we are going up to kick some tires and do some test driving.

BTW thanks for the replies.

John

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #6  
The 15 series Mahindras are built by Mitsubishi and are great tractors. I wouldn't shy away from one if you get the right price and you like it... even though the dealer is a little ways away. You'll probably never need his services anyway!

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #7  
I guess we will see. Also I have checked the 2615HST but it seems a little large for the wife to handle and is abt 2K more, but that is why we are going up to kick some tires and do some test driving.

BTW thanks for the replies.

John
John, I don't now how petite your dear wife is. However, if she can drive a car, the 2615 will be no challenge for her. We have a wonderful female Mahindra owner, Brandi on the forums. She operates a 6520 4WD. TractorByNet.com - View Profile: bindian

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #8  
If you have a dealer nearby you might consider checking out the TYM T273. It has the same 26-27hp mitsubishi engine as the Mahindra 2615, comes standard with a HST, and skidster quick detach, and is smaller than the 2615. Really great little machines. I run a 5' tiller and brush hog in it handles 'em like a champ.

And no, I'm not a dealer, just a satisfied customer who'd like to offer an alternative to orange and green. . . .;). One piece of advice I can give you is to try as many different brands and models as possible. I tried one of everything, like many of 'em, but one seat on the 273 and I was sold. Sometimes it just feels right. . . .

good luck with whatever you decide on!
Regards,
Pete

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #9  
Go with the 2615hst or the new 2816 hst you will be very pleased and the wife can handle it just fine we have several ladies using them around horse farms everyday .

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #10  
Well hello all as this is my first post here. I am currently trying to decide on a CUT for our acreage which consists of abt 5 acres of lawn mowing including around our dugout and old train track area, and 10 acres of fields that at some point will be turned into a Saskatoon Berry farm and a garden area that is abt 400 x 200 that I will eventually want to get a set of 5' double 3pt disks and tine harrows as well as a 3pt PTO tiller. We currently use a combination of a Deere X500 Garden tractor with a 54" deck and a 40" 2 stage snowblower and an old White GT that has a 42" tiller and a 36" double disk to do all our chores. It is too time consuming and uses alot of gas to run these two units all year. It takes a full 5gal can of gas just to mow the lawn and that is $40.00 and that is in the new Deere with a 25hp Kawi twin. The old White just drinks the gas and oil too. Oh and then there is the spraying of the fields with roundup to keep the weeds down till we get to the stage of doing the berry thing. I need a very reliable machine that is easy on fuel and able to start at -30 to clear out the yard in the winter. I would like a blower but can't afford one with the initial purchase and would be using the loader to do snow removal for the first year or two. The Mahindra dealer is abt 2 1/2 hrs from here so the reliability becomes very paramount in the decision. So I am looking at the 2415HST as the wife does most of the yard work with a loader and 60" mid mount mower.
What do you all think of that combo for my needs..

Thanks
John

The 2415HST is awesome. I am a dealer and it is what I have at home right now. It uses the same engine as the 2816HST, just turned down a little and rated at a lower RPM. It also lifts the same amount in the FEL as the 2816, although as a practical matter you will lift less as the bucket is smaller. The entire tractor is built in Japan (loader in Kansas). It is not a component tractor with an engine from Japan, transmission from Korea and assembled in China, or wherever, like some brands do now.

I like the smaller size when I am working in the garden or around buildings and trees. I also like the hydro in the 2415HST, it's very quiet and does not vibrate back through the pedal. Top notch.