New Mahindra Trucks

/ New Mahindra Trucks #21  
Final assembly of the tractors occurs in the USA, but they aren't built here. For shipping purposes, they are crated, double stacked and sent to one of the three plants. The tires and rims are mostly USA sourced, the loaders and backhoes are built in the USA, and final assembly occurs in Calhoun Georgia, Houston Texas, or Red Bluff California. In my opinion, that does not make them USA built. I think most brands do it this way. We can get 24 of the 2415 HST models in a 40 foot container by doing this. Then KMW can fit 34 ML105 loaders in a truck, etc. Much more freight efficient this way.

As for the trucks, I expect they are adding features because that is where the profit lies. A loaded model probably doesn't cost that much more to build than a basic one, but they can charge more. I'd like to see a bare bones model, just power-steering and brakes, AC, and a manual transmission and the option of 4wd or 2wd. They would get quite a following I think with this sort of truck.

Will they let the tractor dealers sell the trucks or will they piggy back on auto dealers????? Or will they have a stand alone truck dealership????

/ New Mahindra Trucks #22  
I asked the local Mahindra dealer about that. He said they were going after local auto dealers and won't let the tractor distributors sell the trucks.

/ New Mahindra Trucks #23  
Will they let the tractor dealers sell the trucks or will they piggy back on auto dealers????? Or will they have a stand alone truck dealership????

It will be totally independent of the tractors, so I don't think we will be seeing any tractor/truck dealers.

/ New Mahindra Trucks #24  
From the layout of the feature callouts on the website, it seems the transmission is front wheel drive in 2wd configuration. Anyone know for sure?

/ New Mahindra Trucks #25  
Won't someone make money and sales by making a mini truck street/road legal in the US($5000 to $8000)----looks like a huge market but with very little gross profit per vechile---kind of like compact tractors alot of sales very little profit----I wonder if Mahindra understands that car dealers (in the US)have alot more overhead than rural aiming tractor dealers that have learned to survive on low overhead and low profit---a very different business model than most high volume car dealers----miss guided dreams or destine to failure!!!----just look at the big 3 and what high fuel cost did to them in one year!!! Now with low fuel they are selling those big trucks and SUVs again----just not on credit!

/ New Mahindra Trucks #26  
The trucks remind me of the first Isuzu Troopers from the 1980's with the tall roof lines.. But I think I could come to love the looks..

Brian

I'm seeing a mitsubishi/jeep liberty cross for the cab and a Ford Courier/Chevy Luv cross for the bed. I had an old isuzu p'up, I think an 82', that was a great ranch truck.

/ New Mahindra Trucks #27  
I wish they would send over this one. I think it is called Mahindra Marshall and is diesel powered.

79795d1182701056-everyone-ready-mahindra-diesel-pickup-290img_1158.jpg

I posted photos of several Mahindra jeep models in this old thread.

I had an early Trooper (88, the first year with FI) and I loved it. I would like to see Mahindra import a similar inexpensive, basic vehicle.

/ New Mahindra Trucks #28  
I just looked the photos on the Mahindra truck site and saw something I really like about the thing--it comes from the factory with tie-down hooks installed! I don't know how many times I've cussed out some newer pickup truck when I tried to tie down a load without them.

Yeah, I know--I could install some aftermarket tie-downs but I've yet to find one that I really liked.

/ New Mahindra Trucks
flusher, here is the scoop on the engine. I have a 1979 Ford Courier pickup. I'd love to have this engine in it.
PickupTruck.com - Mahindra Promises Diesel Hybrid Pickup by 2010
The diesel-only truck will use a slightly modified version of Mahindra's recently introduced 'mHawk' 2.2-liter inline four cylinder diesel engine, that debuted in India in the Scorpio SUV.

Mr. Perez estimates the U.S. version of the mHawk will have power ratings in the range of 145-horsepower to 150-horsepower and approximately 300 pound-feet of torque, though the numbers haven't been finalized. The mHawk was designed in cooperation with diesel engineering firms Bosch and AVL specifically with the American pickup market in mind.

The American mHawk will be paired with a standard six-speed automatic transmission, a floor mounted console shifter, and steering wheel mounted paddles to manually shift the gearbox.

"I'm really happy about this diesel," says Mr. Perez. "This is a market that nobody is going to be in for at least three of four years. We're going to be able to give small businesses a truck that can get 30 to 35 miles-per-gallon, and with a diesel engine that's durable. It's a $40,000 truck that we're going to sell in the mid-$20,000s. This is not Chinese junk."

And it will be able to haul too. Mahindra promises the truck will be able to carry a very sizeable 1.3-ton (2,600-lb) payload in its 7.5-foot cargo box. By comparison, the 2008 Toyota Tacoma has a max payload rating of 1,685-lbs and the 2008 Dodge Dakota has a max payload of 1,720-lbs.

The trucks will come with a 60,000-mile, four year bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Mid $20's is a turn off for me. Without having ANY experience with a Mahindra truck, I would be more inclinded to spend $14K on another stripped down Ranger than spend $25K for something that is brand new to market. I think Mahindra is going to have to give serious consideration to the term "loss leader" in order to get market exposure and attention. I just think that $25K requires a significant leap of faith for the average American consumer given the current market circumstances. These trucks aren't going to be marketed to the "Soccer Mom", the "Trendsetter" or the "Keeping Up With The Jones" consumer. Rather, they're going to be marketed to average guys who want to do alot with little, while minimizing their overall cash outlay. Long story short, when confronted with $25K for a new Mahindra truck or $25K for a 1 year old Chevy Avalanche LT with 20K miles, I'm buying the Avalanche - every time.

Keep in mind, these things will be manufactured overseas with lower labor rates and lower overheads at a time when currency exchange rates are down and the raw materials markets have crashed. Fair market price in my mind, at this time, is less than $18K. Finally, if Mahindra is going to market this thing like a Land Rover, Mahindra will alienate the key consumer - average guys.

/ New Mahindra Trucks #30  
I don't think I would be first in line for one. I would wait a few years and see if they are any good. I would like to have a 1/2ton diesel pickup I don't know why they don't make them any more.