New Mahindra Trucks

/ New Mahindra Trucks #1  

Farmerboy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 85 / Ventrac 4500P
I was on the Mahindra USA site the other day checking out the new 35 series and noticed the advertisement for the line of diesel trucks Mahindra plans to bring to market later in 2009.

I currently own a little 5-speed Ranger (2-wheel) drive and can honestly say its been the best vehicle I've ever owned. The only complaint I have is its ability to haul. In many instances, I've had to split a load and make several trips. Up until 2 days ago, I swore up and down that as long as Ford was making 2-wheel drive Rangers, I'd always buy another....that was until I took a look at the new Mahindra trucks - 1.25 Ton hauling ability - 7.5 foot bed...:eek: Needless to say, I signed up to be notified of any upcoming events for the new line of trucks.

I have been completely happy with my 3215TLB and would seriously consider purchasing the 2-door version of the truck. I just hope they consider a manual transmission.

I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts or considerations about the new line of vehicles.

Last edited:
   / New Mahindra Trucks #2  
I first saw this advertised about a year and a half ago. Import was to be in late 07 then changed to early 08, then to late 08 and now sometime in 09. I had a real interest but I don't know if I can wait until they finally decide they are really going to import them. I'm not getting any younger, I may not be able to drive by the time they actually get here.

/ New Mahindra Trucks #3  
I've been looking at them since I first saw their teasers about 2 years back - I'm very interested as well. early rumor had it their 4x4 diesel truck was supposed to get close to 30 mpg - which beats my gas Dakota hands down, even with the current price difference between gas & diesel!

/ New Mahindra Trucks #4  
I read a month or so ago that they were struggling to meet US emissions regs.

/ New Mahindra Trucks #5  
I was on the Mahindra USA site the other day checking out the new 35 series and noticed the advertisement for the line of diesel trucks Mahindra plans to bring to market later in 2009.

I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts or considerations about the new line of vehicles.

I signed up for the Mahindra tryout event in 2009. I am debating buying a small truck next year and thought I would give this a whirl. There's only a couple of things that bother me:

This isn't a tractor, it's for the road, and parts and availability of parts are going to matter. Mahindra's tractors are for the most part based on tried and true tractor platforms. In short buying a Mahindra tractor is an all win, no lose scenario. But a vehicle with a handful of dealerships and very very limited parts? I don't know about this.

The other thing is reviews outside the US. In Australia the truck is called the Pik Up. There are numerous writeups on these trucks online in Europe and Australia, and it's not very flattering. One group took the truck offroad and parts literally fell off the truck while driving.

I know that they consulted US automotive analysts about thier introduction plan. I am willing to give them a whirl, if only for the fact that I am a very happy Mahindra owner right now. If I bought a Mahindra it would be probably because of the diesel and it could be my beater truck. This to means that it's going to have to last and stand up to abuse, including abuse from my Mahindra tractor.

Mahindra seems to have the magic gift of finding best of breed from all over the world and combining them to make thier products. In the end I am optimistic yet a little cautious at the same time.

/ New Mahindra Trucks #6  

I currently own a little 5-speed Ranger (2-wheel) drive and can honestly say its been the best vehicle I've ever owned. The only complaint I have is its ability to haul. In many instances, I've had to split a load and make several trips. Up until 2 days ago, I swore up and down that as long as Ford was making 2-wheel drive Rangers, I'd always buy another....that was until I took a look at the new Mahindra trucks - 1.25 Ton hauling ability - 7.5 foot bed...:eek: Needless to say, I signed up to be notified of any upcoming events for the new line of trucks.

I have been completely happy with my 3215TLB and would seriously consider purchasing the 2-door version of the truck. I just hope they consider a manual transmission.

Don't forget your 3215 is a Mitsubishi not a Mahindra.

/ New Mahindra Trucks #7  
I signed up for the Mahindra tryout event in 2009. I am debating buying a small truck next year and thought I would give this a whirl. There's only a couple of things that bother me:

This isn't a tractor, it's for the road, and parts and availability of parts are going to matter. Mahindra's tractors are for the most part based on tried and true tractor platforms. In short buying a Mahindra tractor is an all win, no lose scenario. But a vehicle with a handful of dealerships and very very limited parts? I don't know about this.

The other thing is reviews outside the US. In Australia the truck is called the Pik Up. There are numerous writeups on these trucks online in Europe and Australia, and it's not very flattering. One group took the truck offroad and parts literally fell off the truck while driving.

I know that they consulted US automotive analysts about thier introduction plan. I am willing to give them a whirl, if only for the fact that I am a very happy Mahindra owner right now. If I bought a Mahindra it would be probably because of the diesel and it could be my beater truck. This to means that it's going to have to last and stand up to abuse, including abuse from my Mahindra tractor.

Mahindra seems to have the magic gift of finding best of breed from all over the world and combining them to make thier products. In the end I am optimistic yet a little cautious at the same time.
Wonder if they are enought truck to pull a trailer with your tractor on it ?

/ New Mahindra Trucks #8  
   / New Mahindra Trucks #9  
They are supposedly going to be made into kits that are final assembled somewhere in the US (Ga rings a bell) to avoid the chicken tax on pickups.

/ New Mahindra Trucks #10  
I went to the Mahindra site, noticed that they manufacture their tractors here in the U.S. as well. Three different factories, even.

Signed up for their "preview" test drive program. I doubt that I'd buy any truck that hasn't been around long enough to judge it's reliability (and I can't really afford a new vehicle right now anyway) but I'm curious about them none the less. I've got a commercial drivers license, have driven big rigs all over the U.S. and would really like my next personal vehicle to have a diesel engine in it.