4530 Owners...Need your opinions

/ 4530 Owners...Need your opinions #1  

Owenslee

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M5040HD 4WD, Ford 8N , White 105, Case 1200 4WD, (1) TO-20 (3) TO-30 Fergusons
I am waiting to buy a 4535 or 5035 when they are formally released in the next 2 months.

However, in the mean time I ran across a used 4530 in new condition with FEL and less than 50 hrs for $16,500. In my limited experience that appears to be an excellent value for the low hours and overall new condition of the tractor. Even considering that the 4530 is now an orphan model recently discontinued....thats sizable savings for a heaver tractor with higher FEL capacity.

In checking a few reviews of the 4530...several have mentioned that maintenance on this tractor is difficult and/or time consuming. In particular changing oil and replacing fuel filters.

I also read comments from two owners who experienced lower end oiling issues and one thrown rod at less than 190 hrs.

However the vast majority of owners reports have described bullet proof reliability.

Can those who own this tractor offer their opinions on any maintenance /reliability issues...or any other issues re: this tractor that are noteworthy and might sway me from the latest more refined 35 series tractors?

Thanks....!

/ 4530 Owners...Need your opinions #2  
The 30 series is just a refined 00 series. I have the 6000 4x4 with almost 1000 hours. I know a guy local who has a 4500 with close to the same hours. Neither of us have had any engine problems.
One would think the decision would rest on how may speed tranny you want, whether you want frills or not, how the tractor fits you, and of course price. If you want a tractor that's a no frills workhorse the 30 series is the way to go. There is very little electronics on these things, less emissions controls, and a ton of good old bare bones reliability.
What uses do you plan for the tractor?

/ 4530 Owners...Need your opinions
I have 300 + ac with 160 of that in pasture that gets brush hogged once a year in those years I don't cut hay.

I also have a 1/4 mi entry road that washes out regularly and has to be maintained with a dozer, box scraper and 10' land leveler.

I also have a LOT of downed trees from recent storms that have to be cut up/moved and burned.

I have several acres of fields that have grown up in red cedar, wild plum and sassafras that have to be cleared.

I am also building a 2400ft airstrip that is 80% done.

I also have two building pads to make prior to erecting two small pole barns.

I also have a 5500 sq ft shop building with 70 oak pallets that need to be moved/loaded/unloaded using a bucket with pallet forks.

I also have a small pond to rebuild and seal.

I also have several miles of old barb wire fences to remove.

I also have a set of gate posts to replace.

and on and on...

Be aware I presently have a 2WD White 105, an old 120hp 4WD Case 1200 and an 8N. The Case is only used with a 5 yd pull behind earth mover.

What those can't do... I have a Allis Chalmers HD6G High Lift Track Loader to fill in.

The Mahindra will serve as my general purpose tractor and fill a long empty hole between the 8N and and White 105.

I'm 61, retired and have been doing this for awhile.

Kerry

/ 4530 Owners...Need your opinions #4  
I've had my 4530 for a little over two years now. I am extremely happy with it to this point. Like jwcinpk said if you are looking for a stronk work horse to fill in the gap I think the 4530 will work for you.

I pull a 6'-0" bush hog without a problem.

I don't agree with the oil change as being really difficult. Yes some of the placements of filters and drains are not excatly great but they are workable.

My only real issue to date has been the front tires. I have AG tires. Titan 9.5 x 20. I had two sets replaced under warranty within a year. Less than a year later the third set needed to be replaced.

I believe the problem lies both with Mahindra and Titan. I believe that Titan has some sort of problem with the rubber compound or the curing compound. I also believe that Mahindra or whoever spec'd this tire for the tractor made a mistake. This final time that I replaced the tires I went with a radial tire with a significantly higher capacity. My one problem now is that I am still waiting for Titan to warranty the old tires. They were sent to them on the first of July and we have not heard a word from them.

/ 4530 Owners...Need your opinions #5  
I have had my 4530 for 13 months now....a real work horse. I only have about 60 hours on it but they have been tough hours. Oil filter is a little tight due to the fel but still accessible. The only thing I wish was different on my 4530 would be a lower 1st gear and wet brakes. However the tractor has done everything I have wanted to do. My 1st tractor was a 3505di Mahindra..also a good tractor. I will tell you that $16000 is a very good price for that tractor with that few hours on it. Good Luck

/ 4530 Owners...Need your opinions #6  
I have owned my 4530 for almost 2 years with no trouble whatever. I have a little over 170 hours and it has handled everything I have thrown at it and just kept working. I don't baby it at all. I live in an area with sandy loam and knock cedar tress with trunk diameters up to 10 inches down regularly. I used it last year to knock the dam out on my 1 and 1/2 acre pond and clean it out. Other then the small size of the bucket when digging the pond out, as it took a lot of trips to remove so much dirt, I'm extremely satisfied. My previous tractor was an 8N, so this was a big step up in my direction. All in all if I was buying a tractor again I would make the same decision. I think for the price you couldn't go wrong.

/ 4530 Owners...Need your opinions
Thanks to all who responded, but I have decided to go with a new 4535.

The 4530 I was considering has... suprizingly... not sold and remains a real bargain for someone. The seller even suggested the listed price has room for negotiation. My impression was that $15,500 to $16,000 would buy it.

It is basically a new tractor with only 49 hrs having been used only for mowing with a finish mower. The bucket and loader was never used.

It was sold by a Mahindra dealer on Sept 2nd 2008 and still has two years left on the original warranty. It appears that it might also qualify for the warranty extension that Mahindra is offering on tractors sold prior to the 5 yr warranty announcement.

I have no connection to it other than hoping it finds a good home with someone wanting to same several thousand $$. Several similar 4530's I found with more hours have been advertised for $20,000 to $22,000.

Mahindra 4530 4wd tractor w/ loader 41 hp less than Massey or John

Kerry

/ 4530 Owners...Need your opinions #8  
I have a 2014 last of the series 4530. I agree it is a work horse. I test drove a last of the series 5530 and 6530 for reference. The 6530 was as strong as any John Deere 4020 of old that I ever saw...was truly an amazing machine...but since I didn't really care to deal with the turbo skipped over the 5530, which was also a good machine and went with the 4530. It is truly a work horse...not a lot of nonsense but if you know much about tractors then this one is great.

/ 4530 Owners...Need your opinions #9  
I have 300 + ac with 160 of that in pasture that gets brush hogged once a year in those years I don't cut hay.

I also have a 1/4 mi entry road that washes out regularly and has to be maintained with a dozer, box scraper and 10' land leveler.

I also have a LOT of downed trees from recent storms that have to be cut up/moved and burned.

I have several acres of fields that have grown up in red cedar, wild plum and sassafras that have to be cleared.

I am also building a 2400ft airstrip that is 80% done.

I also have two building pads to make prior to erecting two small pole barns.

I also have a 5500 sq ft shop building with 70 oak pallets that need to be moved/loaded/unloaded using a bucket with pallet forks.

I also have a small pond to rebuild and seal.

I also have several miles of old barb wire fences to remove.

I also have a set of gate posts to replace.

and on and on...

Be aware I presently have a 2WD White 105, an old 120hp 4WD Case 1200 and an 8N. The Case is only used with a 5 yd pull behind earth mover.

What those can't do... I have a Allis Chalmers HD6G High Lift Track Loader to fill in.

The Mahindra will serve as my general purpose tractor and fill a long empty hole between the 8N and and White 105.

I'm 61, retired and have been doing this for awhile.

Kerry
Same age here, but I could not afford not to have a day job.
You have a lot to do, good size spread.
Get all the equipment you can afford as it does not get easier.
I am very glad I did not wait to buy a replacement small tractor, A Max28.
I hope it will be reliable as aside from having PS, a stronger loader, and nice 8x8 shuttle vs. 6 x 2 straight gear, new and reliable was my reason to get it.
Besides, I made a first time tractor owner very happy with my old Kubota.
Small machine is a great labor saver.