Comparison Mahindra 4035 or Montana r4944HST

/ Mahindra 4035 or Montana r4944HST #1  

wampum

Silver Member
I have 35 acres of hilly ground. I plant about 4 acres in corn,and have the rest fenced in for pasture. I buy my hay,but may have an chance to make some of my own. I have an International 454,(with out a loader)I am going to keep. And a Landtrac 330 HST with a loader. The 330 has been a good little tractor,but is about at its limits with round bails. Also with them going out of business I am with out a dealer,so I am going to get a little larger compact. This new tractor will be used for mainly front end work,hauling and stacking round bails,and snow removal. I heat entirely with wood,so bringing wood out and maintaing hauling routes will be important,(FWD will be helpful on my hilly place). The 454 will still be used for a 2 bottom plow,discing,pulling a hay baler,and brush hogging. I will use the new tractor for planting,sickle bar cutting,raking,and hauling hay. I have gotten what I consider to be 2 good deals. Trading my 330 and $14000.00 for a Montana r4944HST,and no trade on a Mahindra 4035,for $20000.00,both have loaders. The 4035 is heavier(by 800 pounds) and wider by 16 inches,and is a shuttle shift 12x12. The Montana has 47 HP compared to the 40 HP of the 4035,and duel remotes. Also the Mahindra has true 0% financing,with no penalty for using it. I am leaning toward the Mahindra because of the stability,close dealer,weight,and 5 year warranty. The Montana is impressive with the 47 HP,and the ease of a HST. Also after reading this forum I am concerned with the future of Montana. I have looked at the big guys and they are higher priced,and do not seem to have the features of these 2 tractors. I have to make up my mind this week to get the 0 % financing. Any thoughts would be welcome.

/ Mahindra 4035 or Montana r4944HST #3  
While the Montana is a fine machine and is available with HST if you wanted, I would most likely go with the Mahindra. Pretty hard to pass up the size and weight difference. Do you find one dealer better than the other? That could make a difference depending on your situation. Have you sat on both of them and checked out the location of all the controls? While some guys will say that ergonomics are no big deal, I say why not have them comfortable if it is possible, especially if you will spend very much time on the machine. Of course you have the additional money outlay if you go with Mahindra.

Oh, are you sure that the width difference is 16"? When I was looking at the Montana R4944 gear, it was 66" wide, so it would be 6" narrower than the Mahindra. If you decide on the Mahindra, maybe consider the 2 optional rear remotes, it sure is nice to have the remote hydraulic option when-if you need it.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you end up doing. ;)

/ Mahindra 4035 or Montana r4944HST
I have driven the 4035. the only problem I had was trying to shift the loader joy stick. They are right beside each other.(a little time on the tractor would stop that) I have not driven the Montana,hope to this week.(I have been waiting 2 weeks for the dealer to have one brought in,starting to wonder about parts,if you cannot get a tractor on location that is available in 2 weeks) The Montana dealer is 80 miles away,the Mahindra dealer 22. I have 4 remotes on my International. They only time I used the remotes was log splitting. I got a stand alone splitter now,so I do not need the remotes for that. That 4035 is an extremely impressive machine. I have looked at and drove a TYM T433,a Kubota L4400,looked at Deere,New Holland and Massey. I am really impressed with the weight and feel of the 4035. Also I thought the price was good. I guess I am leaning pretty heavy towards the 4035. I would like to at least try the Montana before I make my final pick. The engine on the 4035 looks a lot like the engine in my International. Does anyone that has a 4035 have problems with that fuel tank being hit by brush? I do like the idea of a low tank,for fueling. The TYM has its tank down there and also has lines on the other side sticking out pretty good. The width on the 4035 is 73.7,the min. on the Montana is 55.9. So you are probably right,both can probably be widened. According to the specs 55.9 is with ag tires,R-4's would be wider.

/ Mahindra 4035 or Montana r4944HST #5  
I recommended the remotes in case you ever decide to get top&tilt hydraulics to help out with your trail-road maintenance or maybe if you had or get a rear blade and wanted a hydraulic to angle it. Yes I was looking at an R4944 with R4s. But even at that, they are not that much wider than the R1s. Where are you finding the specs, I don't see any width specs on the Montana website. :confused: I suppose that maybe the spec that you have seen is with the R1s in as narrow as they can be. :confused: But I still don't see any widths on the website. I know that the loader bucket is 66" wide and that was about the same width as the R4 tires. The one thing that I did not care for with the R series Montana's was the loaders. I just don't care for those supports that they have that wrap around the front part of the tractor.

I hope that the Montana dealer gets a tractor in for you to look at, just so you don't wonder if you should have bought one of them. But you don't want to miss out on the Mahindra financing deal, although I would bet that it will still be there next year. But you just don't know for sure.

Good luck

I recommended the remotes in case you ever decide to get top&tilt hydraulics to help out with your trail-road maintenance or maybe if you had or get a rear blade and wanted a hydraulic to angle it. Yes I was looking at an R4944 with R4s. But even at that, they are not that much wider than the R1s. Where are you finding the specs, I don't see any width specs on the Montana website. :confused: I suppose that maybe the spec that you have seen is with the R1s in as narrow as they can be. :confused: But I still don't see any widths on the website. I know that the loader bucket is 66" wide and that was about the same width as the R4 tires. The one thing that I did not care for with the R series Montana's was the loaders. I just don't care for those supports that they have that wrap around the front part of the tractor.

I hope that the Montana dealer gets a tractor in for you to look at, just so you don't wonder if you should have bought one of them. But you don't want to miss out on the Mahindra financing deal, although I would bet that it will still be there next year. But you just don't know for sure.

Good luck
The dealer told me he expects the financing to be extended at least a month,but that was not gospel. I could not find the specs on Montana's width either. An LS dealer sent me specs for an LS R4020H which he said was the same as a Montana R4944HST. I am just taking his word,it could be wrong. On another matter when I first went in the service 43 years ago I was stationed at Moffett field right out side of Mountain view Ca. Are you close to there. Nice area.

I just read that you are in southern Ca. That would be quit a distance from Moffett field. However I did spend 1 year a Point Mugu NAS,Thats right outside of Oxnard.

/ Mahindra 4035 or Montana r4944HST #8  
I just read that you are in southern Ca. That would be quit a distance from Moffett field. However I did spend 1 year a Point Mugu NAS,Thats right outside of Oxnard.

I'm about 4-5 hours southeast from Pt Mugu. Northeast San Diego County

/ Mahindra 4035 or Montana r4944HST #9  
Consider the pto hp, we went with the 5530 4wd turbo. 40 acres, looked at which implements the pto hp could handle. Presently we have a 10' pull type mower, 78" 1800lbs heavy duty twin hydraulic blade, a 266ML front end loader. Next purchase will be the snowblower.

/ Mahindra 4035 or Montana r4944HST #10  
The Montana dealer is 80 miles away,the Mahindra dealer 22.

This is really a big part of buying a tractor most folks don't think about. No warranty covers pickup and return,:( so you have to haul your tractor or pay for it to get warranty work. I am a firm believer of having a dealer close by that you are on first name basis with.;) Besides that..................for the weight and horsepower, I haven't seen anything beats a Mahindra yet.:D
hugs, Brandi