Buying Advice 4035 vs 5035

/ 4035 vs 5035 #1  

NewGuyInNewEngland

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5035
Hello all From New England.

:newhere:

After a gosh awful winter where more than once I had to have a friend come by and dig me out 'cause my snow plow guy got stuck in my long, steep driveway, I am ready to take the plunge and buy a good, powerful tractor/loader/snow blade (to start) so I can landscape and plow my own property.

I have visited a Mahindra dealer (only 14 miles away, thankfully) and a Kubota dealer. Test drove an MX5100MT (didn't have the non-turbo in stock) and the 4035 Mahindra. Both are excellent machines, but as many have advised here, it has to feel right. I am tall, about 6'3", and no matter how I tried could not get the Kubota seat comfortable. Just not enough leg room, and no tilt wheel. The 4035 fit like a glove. Smooth and seemed a bit more stable (due to width/weight?). After getting the best price possible (cash), the 4035 was $1600 less than the Kubota, with many extras (lights, rear remote, etc), free delivery, plus it just looks great. Granted, the Kubota is brand new, virtually no hours and a 2011. The Mahindra is a leftover (10 hours on the meter) and the dealer wants it gone to make room for the 2011's, so I put a deposit on it.

Stopped by the dealer today to touch base, and saw a 5035 (w/12 hours on the meter) parked next to my deposit-held 4035. A scratch here and there, but only cosmetic. Started asking questions about it. The visual differences are not obvious at first, except the tires, especially the front, which seem a bit larger. I found out from the dealer that although the 4035 is a beast, the 5035 is more so, with a more powerful 4 cyl. engine rather than a 3, greater lift capability, etc. He says it will use a bit more fuel, but I probably won't notice. Don't really care.

So I asked him for his best price, out the door, cash before tax (we have sales tax here in CT on farm equipment, 6.0%, ouch!) I was surprised to see the number was, what seemed to me, a reasonable $3k more than the 4035.

Guys/gals(?), .. as these are leftover tractors, and with another price increase coming (according to the dealer), should I go for it and get all the tractor I can afford? Is $3k a reasonable amount for that much more tractor? I plan on eventually adding a back hoe, and the capacity of the 495 over the 485 almost makes the argument for me, but I'd like your thoughts,... good, bad or indifferent. I just don't want to make the mistake many have made and didn't spend the extra cash to find out they eventually could have used that extra capability.

Thank you for your time.
Here's to Spring! :cool2:gosh I hate snow....:mur:

/ 4035 vs 5035 #3  
:welcome: New Guy. While the 4035 is a fine tractor, the 5035 is a beast :licking:
and would be the machine for me. You would be able to get a lot more work done quite a bit faster with the bigger tractor. Let me make a suggestion though, get the tractor with 2 rear remotes and be sure that the loader is skid steer attachment compatible. You may want to get the grill guard also. You may not think that you need those things at this time, but later on you will be glad that you did. For only 3k more you would be getting a lot more machine. Oh one last thing, get those big ol tires filled, the difference that it makes in the performance and capabilities of the tractor are HUGE.

Let us know what you do, and post pictures when you get it. :thumbsup:

/ 4035 vs 5035 #4  
No doubt about it, go with the 5035 if you can afford it. Also the above mentioned options. I skipped the grill guard on my 4025 and wish I had not. Good luck and post some pic's.

/ 4035 vs 5035
Thank you all for the input. Much appreciated.

I let my dealer know to put my name on the 5035... done deal.
FYI: The cash deal on the 5035 was $25,395.00 before tax. $22,399.00 on the 4035, which is still available.

MtnView, Good suggestions on the options. My dealer only orders tractors with skid steer/quick release loaders. I will discuss the additional remote to augment the existing one, but could you tell me what I would need it for?? I read somewhere else on the forum that it was a $1200 charge for the additional remote to be installed by a dealer. Kinda pricey to me, but what do I know??

The grill guard makes sense (confirmed by burzynsr) and I let my dealer know he should order one for me as well as a complete manual set as I am a DIY'er.

RE: filling the tires. The Kubota dealer suggested that for the MX5100 as a way to offset the weight advantage of the Mahindra (4367 vs 3669) He said the 4035 might have a hard time with filled tires, which add almost 600 lbs per wheel. Perhaps my logic is flawed, but the 5035 weighs nearly 5000lbs, I am guestimating that extra weight should be enough. The Kubota dealer quoted a $500 charge to fill the tires. My Mahindra dealer never offered it, saying the extra weight precludes the need to fill the tires. I understand it also helps cushion the ride and plants the rear end more, but how much more do I need over 5000 lbs?

Thoughts anyone?

I will try to post a few pics I took of the 5035 yesterday a bit later, but not sure how to do it. It's a bit dirty but my dealer promised to clean it up for delivery. My neighbor with the "B" series Kubota is gonna be surprised... he is one of the first tractor owners I talked to about his experiences with snow removal, landscaping and weight vs horsepower in general. The consensus? 4wd, heavy and powerful if you can find a reasonably priced package. I believe the 5035 will deliver as promised.

Thanks again for the input. I can see this is a great forum and I look forward to many years of good service from my 5035 and good advice from this forums' members.

/ 4035 vs 5035 #6  
New Guy, this is GREAT news, you will be very happy with your choice. :cool2:

As far as the 2nd remote, $1200 is a high price and I know for a fact that it can be done for a couple of hundred less and your dealer will still make money. See if he will come down to $950-$1000, he should and can if he values your business. As far as what you need them for, the first thing I would be thinking about is Top and Tilt hydraulics for the 3pt hitch. You are going to be grading and there is nothing like being able to make adjustments to the implement while you are in the seat. Your end result is always better for making those adjustments where as if they need to be made manually, most people just don't make them, period. There are many other implements that can make use of hydraulic controls also.

Concerning the weight issue, unless you are going to be transporting your tractor and even then only if it will be on an only just capable trailer, you really need to fill your tires, all four of your tires in my opinion. The extra 2,000lbs will simply make a HUGE difference in the capability of your machine. If you have hills it makes it waaaaaaay more stable on the hills along with giving you so much more traction everywhere you have to go. Unless your dealer will fill them for free or maybe very cheap with Rim Guard, fill them yourself, only takes a few hours.

I have 2 Mahindra tractors, a 7520 (75hp) and a 3215HST (32hp) I have all four tires on both of them filled, I could hardly believe the difference that it made after I did it to my 7520. I had made the mistake of waiting for a full year before I filled them, Oh what a difference, I literally would not have believed that there could be such a dramatic difference. I waited all of 4 days with my 3215 before I filled it's tires. I move this tractor a lot and had hoped that it would be ok to not fill them, but I could feel that the tractor was not working up to it's potential, so I filled the tires and I was right, the extra weight made it so that the tractor could now work up to it's full capacity.

Hope that some of this helps you out and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. You know that we all like to see delivery day pictures. :cool: ;)

/ 4035 vs 5035 #7  
Guess I am late to this party!:eek: I would always buy a 4 cylinder engine over a 3 cylinder engine. Ya can't beat cubic inches and the smoother operation of that extra cylinder.:thumbsup: The 5035 should work your sloped driveway well.:D I am glad to hear you upgraded to the 5035.:cool:

When you get your Grill Guard/Bumper, have more bracing added and maybe even expanded steel.:cool: This is what I did, as the openings were too large on my 6520's and I work a lot of brush.

I can't believe the Kubota salesman mentioned filling your tires to match a Mahindra's weight.:confused2::confused2: That is a good one!;) You can buy the tool to fill your tires for under $15 dollars. I have one, but haven't used it as the filled tires would overgross my trailer. Besides I carry a 1700 pound backhoe on mine.:cool:
hugs, Brandi

/ 4035 vs 5035 #8  
NG,
Congrats on the 5035! :thumbsup: Good price as well.

You will never, ever say "I wish I'd bought the 4035", period.:D

I have just under 50 hours on my 5035 with nothing but praise for it. Before taking delivery, have your dealer check the fluids, the air filter and grease it at a minimum. Get the manual for it and go over the pre-op checks with the dealer. PM me if you have any questions.

Ask the dealer to fill your tires at no-charge and get the grill guard as MVR and bindian said. I had both done to mine. The extra weight makes it even more awesome.

I'm using my (factory) rear remote for my soon-to-be-mounted grapple. Have contemplated getting a second set but have not priced them yet. Will use it for a top-n-tilt in the future.

Hoping to have my grapple mounted and running by the 19th. Time is the resource I lack right now:mad:. Will post pics when it happens.

Congrats again and welcome to Club Mahindra on TBN.

/ 4035 vs 5035
Good info. Thank you all.

Here are some pics links to photo bucket. Took some pics last visit to the dealer, so here they are. Saw someone else use this method so thought I'd try it. The beast just looks tuff, doesn't it??:thumbsup:

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb394/vetterc5/5035driverside.jpg

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb394/vetterc5/5035rtfront.jpg

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb394/vetterc5/5035side.jpg

I got a bit more good news today. This tractor purchase (as well as a new Subaru forester to replace my wife's aging Outback) were contingent on a new job offer. Everything has been moving forward with it and it technically was a done deal but of course until it's in writing, as with most things, it's not quite done. This morning, I got the verbal and written confirmation, so we are happy that all this research and planning for both purchases was done beforehand. It was certainly worth the effort. I've been married for 30 years to the same wonderful woman, but I know it's give and take... she gets a new car, I get the tractor. ;)

Thanks again everyone, and Bascom, I will be sure to touch base with you if I have any questions. Good luck with your Grapple.

btw: I am expecting to take delivery next Wed or Thur as I plan on taking some vaca before job change. I will certainly take some delivery pics per the tradition of TBN and post them on photobucket.

Here's to Spring. :drink: