Comparison 2216 4WD / 2516 4WD Shuttle Shift ???

/ 2216 4WD / 2516 4WD Shuttle Shift ??? #1  

MarkF48

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2216
Presently looking at two models of Mahindra tractors, the 2216 4WD and the 2516 4WD w/Shuttle Shift. The dealer had recommended the 2516 over the 2216 citing it had a "better" transmission. I'm not sure if the reasoning was the fact it is equipped with the shuttle shift. Price difference was not significant between the two tractors. I don't believe I necessarily need higher HP or lift capacity for my uses, basically snow removal, yard work, gardening, and hauling firewood.

Couple of questions....

- Is the shuttle shift of the 2516 an actual mechanical gear that changes the forward or reverse direction of the gearing or is there something hydrostatic in nature that does it? Thinking of the simplicity of gears versus something that may be more prone to problems.

- The 2516 has a wet disc braking system versus the 2216 dry shoe. Any advantage to either? I suspect the wet disc is more labor intensive to work on if needed.

Any other comments on these two tractors are welcomed.

/ 2216 4WD / 2516 4WD Shuttle Shift ??? #2  
It's always nice to have a bit more than you need. I would go with the 2516. Nicer to have the 8x8 trans vs the 6x2 trans. I believe that the shuttle is through gear and not a hydraulic function. The wet brakes will not over heat and fade on you while lasting 3-4 times longer than the dry brakes. The 2516 is simply a nicer machine and if the cost is close, I recommend that the 2516 would be the tractor to get.

Just my opinion, good luck with your decision. ;)

/ 2216 4WD / 2516 4WD Shuttle Shift ??? #3  
With the 2216 you will need to come to a complete stop before changing forward and reverse gears.
The 2516 has a shuttle lever that is synchronized and with that as fast as you can push the clutch and mover the lever it will go with out grinding.

Wet or dry discs on a small compact.....chances are you will never experience a brake change unless you leave the parking brake on.

Now the pros and cons to wet verses dry.
If you are in the habit of parking the tractor with the parking brake on, with a dry brake system you can take a chance of the brake shoe sticking.
Wet brakes will not do this.

/ 2216 4WD / 2516 4WD Shuttle Shift ??? #4  
I have the 2516 and it is a workhorse! It does everything I need it to do and more.

/ 2216 4WD / 2516 4WD Shuttle Shift ??? #5  
I looked at the 2216, 2516, and 2816. I settled on the 2516 shuttle and could not be happier. The 'little' guy does anything asked of it, and is very nimble. The shuttle shift has the forward reverse lever within fingers reach of the steering wheel. It really does not take long to get used to it.
For me, the 2216 was just too small, and the 2816 was out of my price range.
Long story short, go for the 2516!

/ 2216 4WD / 2516 4WD Shuttle Shift ??? #6  
Yep the 2516 is a strong tractor. I am using mine to help build my 15'x25' paver patio. I used a 66" boxblade to take the topsoil off. Then used the loader to move a few tons of crush and run. Let me tell you I put it in 3rd gear low in 4wd and went into the pile of stone. The loader lifted a overflowing bucket with NO issue......

I then used the boxblade and 6' landscape rake to get it semi level. Next will come the plate compactor, loader to place paver sand and move the pallets of pavers, then after placing the pavers the loader will move more sand on top of the pavers before I compact it again. Without a tractor I'd still be digging by hand ;)

The following pics were taken within about 2 hours of start.

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0030-1.jpg

The 2516 is more tractor then you think.

/ 2216 4WD / 2516 4WD Shuttle Shift ???
Ended up going with the 2216 4WD and it will be delivered Thursday. One thing that sort of swayed my decision was my barn door. The ROP's on the 2516 was about an inch too high for the door without folding it down to get it in. Even though it's simply a matter of pulling some pins, it's just not something I wanted to do every time I might use the tractor. The power of the 2216 will be more than adequate for anything I'll do. Now I've got to educate myself about diesel engines.
Tried the 2216 out at the dealer and coming from an old Ford 9N, I'm going to really enjoy using this tractor. Tried to get the wife to take it for a spin, but she got cold feet and wouldn't. I somehow think once she gets behind the wheel and used to it I'll have a hard time getting to use it myself.

I'll post some pics sometime after it's delivered.

/ 2216 4WD / 2516 4WD Shuttle Shift ??? #8  
Congrats. I'm looking fwd to the pictures! Get it dirty as soon as you get it. I wash mine after every use so it goes in the garage clean. ;)

/ 2216 4WD / 2516 4WD Shuttle Shift ??? #9  
Congratulations on the 2216. You will have a blast! I came from an 8n and still cannot believe the difference. Just don't run out of fuel, I try to keep the tank above a half. It is easy to keep a 5 gallon of diesel on hand to refill. :thumbsup:

/ 2216 4WD / 2516 4WD Shuttle Shift ??? #10  
Yeah the difference will be huge. My new 2216 has about 13 hours on it, but I decided to get the 2n started up for the summer two days ago. I drove the ford about a foot and it reinforced every reason why I love the new 2216.