Comparison Mahindra Vs Deere - resale concerns?

/ Mahindra Vs Deere - resale concerns? #1  

wbuoni

Tractor
Kubota L3600
Been looking at new tractors for several weeks now. Getting ready to take the plunge this week, but it seems like the more I learn the less I understand. :confused2: Been leaning towards the Mahindra 5035, and for a while I has considering the Kioti DK50SE vs 5035.

Price (w/FEL) for 5035 standard shift is $24,100 (cash) - add $1300 for HST. Also got a price of $27,000 (cash) for the 6530 w/FEL. Visited 2 Mahindra dealers and both recommended 5035 over '30 series.

Yesterday visited the local JD dealer. Price w/FEL for the 5055e is $26900, and for the 5065e is $29,900. JD does not offer discounts for cash but does offer 48-month 0% financing.

We have 40-acres in pasture and 20 wooded. Have an additional 20-acres on the SC coast that I need to bush hog once or twice a year. Little grass / lots of 1-3 inch saplings. We have a Ford F250 diesel - trailer is rated @ 10k and I have 82" between wheel wells (so 6530 would be tight).

Been thinking 45-hp in the PTO is sufficient, but want to buy enough tractor to meet current and future needs. Plan to include a grapple (WR Long OBG-1 w/3rd function kit) and rotary mower (Bush Hog 296) with purchase. Hope to pick up used hay equipment over the next year or so. We have horses, and prefer square bales. 45-hp in the PTO should be sufficient to pull a small baler.

I do like the Mahindra, but there is not that significant of a price difference between Mahindra and Deere. The Deere may not have all the bells-and-whistles, but it has the name. I know Deere holds its value, and have been told Mahindra does not. Wondering what experiences others have had with the Mahindra.

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!!

/ Mahindra Vs Deere - resale concerns? #2  
Mahindra is a fine enough machine, well liked and reasonably well respected.

But there is no way on God's green earth that anything compares to a Deere in re-sale value. Not even close. Just sayin'. You cannot gain that kind of reputation and resultant re-sale value and customer loyalty without putting in a few decades in the marketplace. Just a reality.

Suspect you already knew that, but was posting to see if it was still true. Yup, still is.

/ Mahindra Vs Deere - resale concerns?
But there is no way on God's green earth that anything compares to a Deere in re-sale value. Not even close. Just sayin'. You cannot gain that kind of reputation and resultant re-sale value and customer loyalty without putting in a few decades in the marketplace. Just a reality.

Suspect you already knew that, but was posting to see if it was still true. Yup, still is.

I get that. Quite honestly I expected a bigger price difference between Mahindra and Deere. What I am trying to determine is whether there is enough value in the Mahindra to offset the difference in resale.

Maybe I am over thinking this but 25k+ is a lot of money to spend. Want to consider all factors before making a decision.

/ Mahindra Vs Deere - resale concerns? #4  
Although I am a Deere guy, I was never too concerned with resale value. I'm more concerned with long term parts and service availability. That's one place Deere has it nailed down solid.
I'm sure Mahindra is a good tractor...maybe every bit as good as a Deere. But as bp fick wrote...it'll take years to develop the reputation required to ensure good resale value.

But, if you like the Mahindra...and you're pretty confident in your dealer...then you should not worry about resale value. There is no good reason to sell a tractor or trade up unless you have a specific need.
BTW, same thing applies to Kioti.

But, if you like the Mahindra...and you're pretty confident in your dealer...then you should not worry about resale value. There is no good reason to sell a tractor or trade up unless you have a specific need.
BTW, same thing applies to Kioti.

The plan is that this is the last tractor I'll buy, which is one of the reasons I've considered the jump to 65-hp.

Very confident in both dealers - one reason Kioti dropped from my list was the dealer told me I couldn't put a 3rd function kit on the DK50SE (huh?). Other two dealers offered to do the install.

Like I said probably over thinking this ... thanks for the feedback.

/ Mahindra Vs Deere - resale concerns? #6  
The plan is that this is the last tractor I'll buy, which is one of the reasons I've considered the jump to 65-hp.

Very confident in both dealers - one reason Kioti dropped from my list was the dealer told me I couldn't put a 3rd function kit on the DK50SE (huh?). Other two dealers offered to do the install.

Like I said probably over thinking this ... thanks for the feedback.

If it's going to be the last tractor you buy (maybe:)), I'd be less concerned about resale value and more concerned about parts/service availability. Which comes down to how you evaluate/feel about the dealer (size and quality of his parts and service departments, gut feeling about his customer service/reliability, liklihood that he will be in business for the long haul).

My big tractor is a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny 8F/2R, power steering) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10 ft high, chain hooks, skid steer quick attach). The dealer installed triple rear remotes for $700. Cost: about $19K new.

DSCF0047 (Small).JPGDSCF0061 (Small).JPGDSCF0067 (Small).JPGDSCF0110 (Small).JPG

I use it to do haying on 6 of my 10 acres (flat pasture). I pull a Massey Ferguson 124 two-twine baler with no problem.

DSCF0315 (Small).JPGDSCF0318 (Small).JPGDSCF0319 (Small).JPG

I'm fortunate to have an excellent dealer who will work with me when I need his help.

/ Mahindra Vs Deere - resale concerns? #7  
You're going to find atleast as many folks that will tell you to go one way as the other. It's why they make 2 different color tractors. I have 3 Mahindra's and have been happy with them all. The new Mahindra's are fine machines, but they are getting a little pricey! The Mahindra will do everything you ask and probably actually have some features you won't find on the Deere for just a little less money. The only drawback is re-sale. I see Deere machines 10 years old going at near their cost new. I have never had a problem with parts availability with Mahindra.
For me it all boiled down to the dealer. The Mahindra dealer wanted to sell me a tractor...the Deere dealer really could have cared less. My opinion would be save yourself some money and go Mahindra if you have a reputable dealer nearby. Don't get carried away by the fact that you can get 40 different styles/colors of Deere gear either! It's 99% chinese made crap!

/ Mahindra Vs Deere - resale concerns? #8  
Unless you are one of these guys that has your tractor for biz and trades them in every 3-4 years, forget about resale. A poor reason to purchase a tractor IMO so that if you sell it sometime in the future you will have the best resale value. For what, a few thousand more while you have less of a tractor while you are using it for how many years? Nothing against JD, they have very nice machines, dealer network etc. But for this comparison, the 9F/3R tranny that the JD has vs the 12F/12R tranny of the Mahindra would put me on the Mahindra.

You might want to look at a 4320 JD if you want a closer comparison between JD and Mahindra. Get what you want, but to get something that you will have for a very long time to be able to get a few thousand more in return if and when you sell in the future that you pay thousands more for up front, just doesn't make sense to me. All that you're doing is getting back the extra money that you had previously spent. You are not really ahead IMO. In fact you have lost the use of that money because it was tied up in the tractor.

Just my :2cents:

Unless you are one of these guys that has your tractor for biz and trades them in every 3-4 years, forget about resale. A poor reason to purchase a tractor IMO so that if you sell it sometime in the future you will have the best resale value.

Fair enough. At the end of the day what I care about is value. I've had my Kubota L3600 for about 10 years. Gonna keep it for the backhoe, since I figure it will cost me more for a new backhoe then I'll get in resale. I'll keep it 'til I kill it.

For what, a few thousand more while you have less of a tractor while you are using it for how many years? Nothing against JD, they have very nice machines, dealer network etc. But for this comparison, the 9F/3R tranny that the JD has vs the 12F/12R tranny of the Mahindra would put me on the Mahindra.

Mahindra 5530 vs. JD 5055e seems to me to be more of an apples to apples comparison. What has me baffled is the price difference between the 5035 and the 5530 vs JD 5055e and 4320.

9F/3R vs 12F/12R ... is it an issue of quality or just more gears? Sorry to ask what is most likely a stupid question but I am mechanics is not one of my strong suits.

The other thing I noticed is the hydraulic output of the Deere 5055e is significantly higher then the Mahindra 5035 (18.2 GPM vs 11 GPM). Isn't that a significant factor as well?

Like I said I have been leaning towards the Mahindra, but the more I learn the more I wonder. I appreciate all the feedback and the education that comes with it. :)

/ Mahindra Vs Deere - resale concerns? #10  
I have to disagree that resale is not a big concern.

Even if you are planning on keeping the tractor forever, plans change and life circumstances change.

Unfortunately, it is usually a negative change which causes one to downsize and can force the sale of a tractor. This is exactly the time when you are going to need the money the most.

Don't overweight resale value, but think about it.